No Red Caps for arriving on Sunset Limited in LAX?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just trying to make my reservations for my January trip through the disabled passenger section of the Amtrak website. When I put in that I needed assistance at the stations, I got a notice that there is no available assistance at LAX for the arrival of the Sunset Limited.

Can anyone tell me if there is red cap service for the Sunset Limited and maybe just no wheelchair assistance?

I was just trying to make my reservations for my January trip through the disabled passenger section of the Amtrak website. When I put in that I needed assistance at the stations, I got a notice that there is no available assistance at LAX for the arrival of the Sunset Limited.

Can anyone tell me if there is red cap service for the Sunset Limited and maybe just no wheelchair assistance?
Red Caps start their day at LA Union around 6:30am as I recall (though I'm kinda surprised that they didn't change things when they brought the Sunset Limited in so early). There is an overnight baggage crew though who should be able to help out, I'd try calling Amtrak and figuring out how to work things.

I haven't used Red Caps for my last two arrivals on the SL and don't recall if some were around. I believe however, there were some there. We head to the east entrance where we park our car.

Everytime Ive arrived into LAX on the new schedule for #1 there have been redcaps available, even as early as 4:30AM!

You may want to Call Amtrak and have them note on your rez that you will require assistance de-boarding @LAX. IIRC you do that anyway since you ride in the Lower Level Coach Seats!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I will do that, I will make the reservation without needing assistance at the station and then calling to make sure I get assistance in CHI and LAX. I have not taken the TE/SL from CHI to LAX, only the other way and really want to, but I wanted to make sure I would have assistance in LAX.

There ARE Red Caps at LAX who meet the SL. But be aware that only 2 are on duty. (At least the last time I arrived on #1.) so they may not get to you right away. However if it is in the reservation, you should get priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back