No Service from STP on Thursday?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

profwebs

Service Attendant
I'm thinking about going to STP at the end of September. I'm thinking of leaving pgh on the 20th and returning on the 24th. However, the system says the train(s) aren't available on the 24th.

I'm assuming the bus doesn't run on Thursday...

Oh.. and it's giving me the 25th as an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Information I have is the station is closed on Sunday. If you are going next month, 27th looks to be a Sunday. You can go any day but Sunday.

This has something to do with the big economic conference being held in Pittsburgh at that time. Essentially, there will be no service to Pittsburgh on several days at the end of September, since the conference site is near the Amtrak station and the Secret Service is shutting the neighborhood down. They are allowing transfers from the Capital to the Pennsylvanian and vice versa, but passengers can't leave the station. I believe Sept. 24 is one of the days that the Pittsburgh station will be shut down.

Here's the Amtrak press release on the Pittsburgh situation:

Service Alert: Pittsburgh Station Three-Day Closure Affects Capitol Limited Trains 29 and 30 and Pennsylvanian Trains 42 and 43

Effective September 24, 25 and 26

Beginning Thursday, September 24 through Saturday, September 26, heightened security measures put in place by the U.S. Secret Service and the city of Pittsburgh for the G-20 Summit will affect service, as described below. It is anticipated that during this time, vehicular and pedestrian traffic may be significantly restricted. As a result, only passengers making train connections between the Capitol Limited and Pennsylvanian Trains will have access to the station.

These procedures are subject to change as security measures are enhanced. Passengers making train connections in Pittsburgh should visit Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) for the most up-to-date information.

Pittsburgh Station Closed (Except for Connecting Passengers)

Thursday and Friday, September 24 and 25

On September 24 and 25, the Pittsburgh station will be open only to Amtrak passengers who are making connections between the Capitol Limited and the Pennsylvanian trains.

Saturday, September 26

On September 26, the station will reopen at approximately 8 pm for Capitol Limited Trains 29 and Pennsylvanian 43.

Passengers May Not Board or Detrain At Pittsburgh

Passengers may not start or end their trip at Pittsburgh on the following dates:

Capitol Limited Train 29 — September 24 and 25

Capitol Limited Train 30 — September 24, 25 and 26

(This affects Train 30 that originates in Chicago on September 23, 24 and 25)

Pennsylvanian Train 42 — September 24, 25 and 26

Pennsylvanian Train 43 — September 24 and 25

Train Connections at Pittsburgh Permitted

Only passengers making connections between trains will be permitted to get on or off the train at the Pittsburgh station.

Passengers will be asked to wait for their connecting train in the station waiting room.

Please be advised that only a limited supply of snacks and drinks from vending machines are available at the station, and the availability of nearby retail establishments will be limited. Passengers making train connections in Pittsburgh may want to consider purchasing food and beverages on board before exiting the train.

Connecting passengers who exit the station must present their ticket stub to re-enter the station

Pittsburgh Boarding and Detraining Alternatives

Capitol Limited passengers may choose to board or detrain at Connellsville, Pa., or Alliance, Ohio, the closest stations to Pittsburgh on the Capitol Limited route.

Pennsylvanian passengers may utilize the Greensburg, Pa., station.

Connellsville, Alliance and Greensburg are un-staffed stations and ticketing and baggage services are not available. Contact Amtrak for ticketing options.

Alternate transportation will not be provided to Pittsburgh, and Amtrak will not reimburse the cost of alternate arrangements made by passengers.

Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience you may experience. For reservations and information, visit Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back