NOL Layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronkstevens

Service Attendant
The other big layover that I have on my trip is an overnight in New Orleans, after coming in on the Crescent Friday evening and leaving on the Sunset Limited Saturday morning. I am planning on staying at the Quality Inn right near the train station.

What would be the best way (safest) to head down to Bourbon Street? I've seen too many different opinions about where to go, and where not to go concerning personal safety and the crime rate in the area. Any tips would be appreciated.

I can't help with the best way to get from the Quality Inn, but there is a streetcar line that runs from in front of the train station down to Canal St., which is the "busy" edge of the French Quarter. Bourbon St. runs perpendicular to Canal St. We've always just taken a taxi from the train station, though, to where we stay in the FQ.

As for safety, if you stay away from the far backside (furthest away from the river) of the Quarter, staying where most of the restaurants, cafes, hotels, bars, and stores are, you'll be safe. I'm an older female and I've always felt safe in the French Quarter. In fact, two of my friends and I just got back from a short stay there. They're not going to let too many tourists get mugged! Personally, I wouldn't venture into other areas except in a group. The St. Charles Ave. and D-Day Museum area is probably fine, too, although we didn't go there this trip.

Lots of good food, from plain to super fancy, and plenty to do in the FQ. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
We, in our late '60s, had no qualms last year about taking the trolley to the Quality Inn (3 stops I believe - just before the trolley turns south) then walking the two blocks south to the hotel. Similarly, we walked from the hotel in the morning to the trolley station only to realize we just missed it. So we leisurely walked to the station. And we are NOT slim and fit.

If you are a senior, be sure to ask how much the senior fare is or check it out in advance. The driver seemed reluctant to tell us, probably figuring tourists should always pay full fare. I stood and waited for the answer and was prepared to look it up on my cell phone before paying (I had forgotten what it was - further proof we were seniors).

On our return from El Paso to Atlanta, we did the same thing. Trolley to Quality Inn and walk back to station in the morning.

Note, it is not obvious where the trolley stop is at the station. It begins there but is kind of hidden. You walk out of Union Station and it is on your right.

In March I arrived in NOL from the Crescent and since It was late and my first trip to NOL I took a taxi (10.00) to the Quality Inn. As others have posted the trolley is very convenient. The front desk staff were extremely helpful with tourist information and maps. The senior trolley fare in March was 40 cents, exact change. Get a transfer and you can get around very economically. The Quality Inn has a secure luggage storage room, so I left my luggage and had time in the morning to do more exploring by trolley before coming back to the hotel, retrieving my luggage and taking the trolley to the Amtrak Station. I am a solo traveller (LOL) and never felt unsafe at any time. Enjoy.

Give me some ideas of what you are into and what sort of budget you're looking at for food. Bourbon Street is mostly tourist traps but you need to do a few things that are mandatory tourist things, if you're looking for music Frenchman Street is a better choice.

As someone who was born and raised in New Orleans, I cringe whenever someone calls the streetcar a "trolley". Saying "trolley" is like advertising yourself as a tourist and asking to be taken advantage of.

As a rail freak, I would take the St. Charles streetcar from downtown along St. Charles Ave. and Carrolton Ave to the end of the line at Carrolton and Claiborne and then back again. The St. Charles Streetcars ( green ) are the old ones as opposed to the red new ones ( in most cases ).

After the streetcar ride I would walk down Bourbon Street then walk through Pat O'Brien's and have a drink at one of the 3 bars...........usually the line is for the piano bar so walk into the courtyard for a drink or in the "city bar". I would then walk the block or so over to Jackson Square to see the Cathedral and around the Square to have coffee at Cafe' Du Monde and the riverfront.

Another possibility is to take the Algiers ferry from the foot of Canal Street across the river to Algiers and back. The view of the city and riverfront at night from the river is well worth the trip.

Whatever you do, DO NOT accept anyone's bet that they can tell you where you got your shoes. Suddenly several youths will show up and say you got dem on yo feet and expect to be paid

Let me know what you're looking to do, what your interest are etc

They are still doing the shoes line? They were doing that the last time I was there 30 years ago!

I'm not looking for too much excitement: A stop at Pat O'Brien's for a Hurricane (or two, but probably no more than that). Take a few pictures. I'm going to be by myself so no need for any nightlife excitement. I just want to make sure I don't end up in the wrong area where being alone could be a big problem.

I imagine it's something like in NYC: Times Square is a tourist trap, and they work hard to keep it clean. Go a few blocks out of Times Square the wrong way and you're in trouble.

Recommend eating @ Coops on Decatur, close to the French Market. Ice Cold Beer, Great Food ( try the Rabbit Jambalaya) and reasonable prices.

It's a locals joint with lots of atmosphere. Street characters, working girls and gambling in the back room!

I was turned in to this joint by Amtrak crews off the Sunset Ltd. Try it, you'll like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back