north american pass question!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scott

hi guys,

considering when to do my North America Railpass tour. The scenery would be better in October/November, and since I'll be hitting the north and the south (and east/west), the weather will be varied. Do any of you know if it's easier to upgrade to sleeper in mid-autumn or, say, April?

thanks for any tips/suggestions.

Scott

Late October and early November is considered the deadest part of the year by the travel industry and is probably the best time to travel in your favor. So in general, on a train or in a plane, you can probably expect passenger loads to be light. I can't say whether or not sleepers will be sold out or not as that can vary on a day by day basis. However, you are probably more likely to find an availible sleeper in late October and early November than in April. April tends to be a big travel month as some schools let out on spring break, plus you have snow birds coming back from Florida to destinations throughout the northeast and parts of the mid-west.

If you choose to go in October, start your trip after October 16 to take advantage of the off-peak pass rate (if you didn't know that already).

Stay with Fall it beautiful and worth the trip just did Canada and want to go back!!

You do know that you don't need to wait until your onboard to upgrade to a sleeper with a pass. Once you have the pass, you can still request and pay for a sleeper when you make your reservations.

Granted upgrading on board could save you some money, but if the sleeper is important, you don't have to gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back