Northeast and Southeast Lounge/Cafe Menu

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan's Trains

Train Attendant
Do all Amtrak trains have the same cafe/lounge car options? I know so far that the Downeaster, and the Capitol Corridor, both have a separate cafe car menu, but do other trains in the Northeast or Southeast, all have the same cafe/lounge car items? I can't figure this out because I have only seen the goodies in an Amfleet I full and club dinette at the snack bar, but I can't seem to find an image of all the options on an Amfleet II lounge car anywhere, could somebody please help me out on this? :)

Our little Heartland Flyer has a separate Menu with prices much lower than the National and with a wider variety of offerings. For about $4 you can get a HUGE Turkey Sandwich which is good cold but much better heated. Toss in a Cold Beer and you're set to do some happy rolling! My only gripe is they did away with the pre-package Liquified Onions a couple years ago.

Our little Heartland Flyer has a separate Menu with prices much lower than the National and with a wider variety of offerings. For about $4 you can get a HUGE Turkey Sandwich which is good cold but much better heated. Toss in a Cold Beer and you're set to do some happy rolling! My only gripe is they did away with the pre-package Liquified Onions a couple years ago.
Curious about the separate menu....is it an outside caterer or something?

Curious about the separate menu....is it an outside caterer or something?
On State sponsored routes the State has a say in food service. The Hoosier State (obviously), Downeaster, California services, Heartland Flyer, and Cascades all run special menus due to this.

Looking through Amtrak's website for the various routes, it appears all the cafe menus on all routes with a dining car is the same and the menu for all the Chicago short distance trains is the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine then, the North Carolina trains have separate menu's as well......

I imagine then, the North Carolina trains have separate menu's as well......
The Piedmont has vending machines.

Going by the Amtrak website, it appears these are the menus:

• National Dining Car
  • Cardinal Dining Car
  • City of NO Dining Car
  • Auto Train Dining Car
  • Coast Starlight PPC
  • National Cafe Car
  • Auto Train Cafe Car
  • "Eastern" Cafe Car (mid-distance routes in the east)
  • Cascades Cafe Car
  • Surfliner Cafe
  • "California" Cafe Car (Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin)
  • "Chicago" Cafe Car (Midwest short distance)
  • Heartland Flyer Cafe Car
  • Downeaster Cafe
  • Acela Cafe
  • Northeast Regional Cafe Car

Last edited by a moderator:
If all of the above were true, it would seem the info posted on the Amtrak website is quite incomplete vis-a-vis the "on board dining experience." There is no reference, for example, to a separate menu for the Heartland Flyer nor the Downeaster. Lobster roll anyone?

If all of the above were true, it would seem the info posted on the Amtrak website is quite incomplete vis-a-vis the "on board dining experience." There is no reference, for example, to a separate menu for the Heartland Flyer nor the Downeaster. Lobster roll anyone?
If you go to the route page for the Heartland Flyer or the Downeaster and click on the menu link at the bottom, it'll show a different menu.

Very intresting so far, I did not know about the Heartland having a seperate café menu

If the state sponsored trains have more variety and better quality often at lower prices, makes you wonder why Amtrak can't do better. As a frequent rider on the Palmetto with supposedly an improved cafe menu, the beer and soda are the best choices. I'll leave it at that. I usually carry on a Subway or grab a sandwich to go in the station on the NEC or Richmond.

If the state sponsored trains have more variety and better quality often at lower prices, makes you wonder why Amtrak can't do better. As a frequent rider on the Palmetto with supposedly an improved cafe menu, the beer and soda are the best choices. I'll leave it at that. I usually carry on a Subway or grab a sandwich to go in the station on the NEC or Richmond.
When I click on Palmetto café menu it seems to be the dame as the NER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back