Northeast Regional question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meenie

Train Attendant
Has anyone traveled on the Northeast Regional? I'm thinking of taking it from Newport News to Boston in the Fall.

Is it the same as the Cardinal? It's an overnight trip.

Is there any benefit to upgrading to Business class? All I see is that you get a free drink in the cafe car. (I don't need a conference table [whatever that is] or a phone)

Does it have an Observation car?

Thanks! :)

No, it's not the same as the Cardinal. The Cardinal runs from New York to Chicago by way of Washington, DC.

What train # are you considering? If you're going to take 66, Business Class is worth it, because the seating is much improved from Coach. If you're going to take 94, the difference isn't as great (you still get more legroom, but it's 2 by 2 seating instead of the 2 by 1 you get on 66).

No observation car.

No, it's not the same as the Cardinal. The Cardinal runs from New York to Chicago by way of Washington, DC.

What train # are you considering? If you're going to take 66, Business Class is worth it, because the seating is much improved from Coach. If you're going to take 94, the difference isn't as great (you still get more legroom, but it's 2 by 2 seating instead of the 2 by 1 you get on 66).

No observation car.

I know the Cardinal travels a different route, I've ridden the Cardinal (took it from Charlottesville, VA to Lafayette, IN) and was just wondering if the Northeast Regional is the same type of train.

I would actually be taking the 66 going and the 99 coming back.

Not sure what 2x2 and 2x1 means?

Sure will miss that observation car :) Took the superliner from DC to Chicago once and the Obs. car was fabulous. :)

No, the Cardinal has a sleeper and coaches designed for long distance travel. 66 and 99 are corridor trains that will have less legroom in coach class.

Business Class on 99 will be very similar to the coaches that were on the Cardinal. Business class on 66 will be even better.

2x2 and 2x1 refer to the pattern of the seats. 2x2 = 2 seats on either side of the aisle, 2x1 = 2 seats on one side of the aisle, 1 seat on the other side.

No, the Cardinal has a sleeper and coaches designed for long distance travel. 66 and 99 are corridor trains that will have less legroom in coach class.

Business Class on 99 will be very similar to the coaches that were on the Cardinal. Business class on 66 will be even better.

2x2 and 2x1 refer to the pattern of the seats. 2x2 = 2 seats on either side of the aisle, 2x1 = 2 seats on one side of the aisle, 1 seat on the other side.
Thanks so much, Engineer! :) This is very helpful information! :)

Are the coach seats similar to the seats on the Acela trains? Ouch! :) That wouldn't be too good for 14 hours!

I don't see anyone thinking that it doesn't.

Happy to help! I've only been on the Acela twice and don;t remember a huge difference in comfort level. 14 hours is a long haul, but at least you can get up and walk around...

I actually think the acela seats are more comfortable than the ones on the NE regional - they are sort of flat in the back and are just wicked uncomfortable for me. However I am also very short, only 5" tall, and I have a hard time getting my feet to reach the ground without sitting so far forward that my back isn't leaning against the backrest on the NE regionals. It is sort of hard to explain, but I think if I had an extra inch or two in my legs the problem would be solved. But I find the NE regional seats to be excruciating for anything longer than BOS - PHL - unless I have a pair of seats to myself and stretch out. This appears to be an uncommon problem so if you are taller than me, you should be fine.

I actually think the acela seats are more comfortable than the ones on the NE regional - they are sort of flat in the back and are just wicked uncomfortable for me. However I am also very short, only 5" tall, and I have a hard time getting my feet to reach the ground without sitting so far forward that my back isn't leaning against the backrest on the NE regionals. It is sort of hard to explain, but I think if I had an extra inch or two in my legs the problem would be solved. But I find the NE regional seats to be excruciating for anything longer than BOS - PHL - unless I have a pair of seats to myself and stretch out. This appears to be an uncommon problem so if you are taller than me, you should be fine.
Don't the Northeast Regional coach seats have a footrest? Oh My!

Biz Class most definitely will, (unless some a coach car is substituted) but the coach I was on yesterday on NEC, did not have foot rest, I was kind of surprised, but I usually don't pay attention to this type of thing.

Biz Class most definitely will, (unless some a coach car is substituted) but the coach I was on yesterday on NEC, did not have foot rest, I was kind of surprised, but I usually don't pay attention to this type of thing.
The 82xxx cars which are the Amfleet I Capstone Coaches (i.e. pretty much all Coaches now on the NEC), do not have footrests.

NEC coach cars that I have been on do not have foot rests. I have never ridden business class, so I can't say about those.

NO, they do not have a foot rest, unless you are riding in BC. And then again, not all the BC cars have foot rests. My problem would probably be solved with a foot rest, actually.I imagine children or other short people must suffer from the same problem, too.

NO, they do not have a foot rest, unless you are riding in BC. And then again, not all the BC cars have foot rests. My problem would probably be solved with a foot rest, actually.I imagine children or other short people must suffer from the same problem, too.
I think all 81xxx Corridor Business Class cars do have footrest. A BC car would be missing footrests only when an 82xxx Corridor Coach Class car is pinch-hitting for an 81xxx car. OTOH, a Coach might have footrests if an 81xxx is pinch-hitting for an 82xxx. That is known to have happened on occasions too. More rarely, even an Amfleet II Coach (25xxx) has found its way into a Regional consist providing footrest to the Coach passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
jis, the problem is sometimes you get those BC cars that are really coach cars (82xx) with a 8.5 x 11" pieceof computer paper duct taped to the outside that says BC when underneath it says "coach".

And honestly, the seat pitch is so great/big in the BC cars that sometimes even the foot rest on that isn't very helpful, because it is so far away! I know, silly thing to gripe about it, but it is what it is.

I am thinking of booking Boston-Newport News. It will be with my wife and 3 kids (7 and twin 4 year olds). the trip will be overnight. I am hoping we can all sleep, should I be concerned about the kids well being on these types of trips as there will be not be adult next to each of them (since we are an odd number and seats are 2X2)? any insight would be helpful. thanks

I am thinking of booking Boston-Newport News. It will be with my wife and 3 kids (7 and twin 4 year olds). the trip will be overnight. I am hoping we can all sleep, should I be concerned about the kids well being on these types of trips as there will be not be adult next to each of them (since we are an odd number and seats are 2X2)? any insight would be helpful. thanks
With 3 kids and 2 adults, one option is to get 4 seats that face each other for the 3 kids & 1 adult and you or your wife can sit across the aisle. If you are getting on in Boston at the start of the trip, the conductor should be able to seat you as a group.

Another option (since you said it's overnight) and you'll be on #67, is to go business class (if you can afford it)!
smile.gif
On #67, BC uses a car that has only 18 BC seats, is MUCH more comfortable and has 2X1 seating!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back