Northeast Regional & Silver Bullet - Any Difference?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger

Train Attendant
This might be a silly question, but that's what the internet's for, right? :blink:

I'm taking the Northeast Regional (Train 84) from Richmond VA to Philadelphia PA later in the month. I've recently taken the Northeast Regional to Boston and back, so I'm pretty familiar with it.

But, I opted to take the Silver Meteor (Train 97) back from Philly to RVA when my trip is over a few days after arrival. I could have chose either, really, but it seemed the Silver Meteor had less stops (am I right?) and I figured I'd try it since I hadn't before.

Is there any real difference? Or will I not know one train/route from another? Does anything cool happen on the Silver Meteor that doesn't happen on the Northeast Regional like free pizza, silver party hats, free R-rated movies?

Oh, I'll be in Reserved Coach, nothing fancy.

:p

Its got twice the legroom, a lounge car, and a full diner. Also sleepers, although they don't matter to you.

Wow, I had no idea about the extra legroom :eek: That's great!

I guess this is something I should know when booking reservations!

Thanks!

It's not just the extra leg room, it the fact that the Northeast Regionals use Amfleet I cars, while the Silver's use Amfleet II cars. The AMF II's are newer, have more leg room, and have better seats that come with both foot rests and calf rests.

And then of course as has been mentioned, you not only have a cafe car, you have a full dining car too. So your food choices go way up. Finally, while probably not helpful, you can also check your bags if you want on the Silver's.

The Amfleet IIs are newer, but not much. Also, I'd say the Amfleet Is are more recently refurbished. Quite a few of the AMFIIs are pretty decrepit, actually. But on the other hand, they are generally kept a lot cleaner than the Regionals are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back