Northeast Snowstorm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I left it in stealth mode - and now can't find it! :eek:
Here they are...

500px-Tipi01.jpg

Oh, wait, you didn't say "teepees"?

Passing through NYP on Thursday, on the way to CHI from Jax, changing from the Meteor to the Lake Shore. Guess we'all see......
thursday should be fine.
I'm in philly and scheduled to return home on wed afternoon. I'm slightly worried.
As of 1030 there wasn't any notice on Amtrak.com. I just called septa for my assignment and asked if they've made a decision on service for tomorrow and was told after 4pm. Which is an hour after the Rush Hour starts. And I wouldn't be surprised if people bail earlier today.

Low track continues to trend inside the Benchmark, should see significant rain/sleet contamination for much of the NEC, with the possible exception of Northern NJ into Southeastern CT. That should help keep the highest snow totals N/W of the big cities.

Just received a recorded message from Amtrak informing me that tomorrow's 449, the Boston-Albany section of the Lake Shore Limited (and my trip on same - first leg of a cross-country tour), has been cancelled. No reference to the storm as the cause of this disruption; or any other specific reason, but I guess we can assume.

So now I'm preparing for what should be a fun winter-wonderland drive to Albany-Rensselaer tomorrow, or driving overnight to beat the storm, and having a whole day to kill in snowy Nowheresville, architectural tribute to Nelson Rockefeller's profligacy and megalomania.

[Wife just announced: I'm leaving this evening.]

Why is there no service alert front and center on amtrak.com?
Because they're still figuring out what is going on? Unlike the airlines we don't like to just go and say all service is cancelled flat out, days in advance, and be done with it.

Steve - Some cancellations are showing now. All Acelas east of NYP, and I'm unsure of what Regionals will be running. I made the wise decision to pick up 173 as an extra for tomorrow after working 66 today (expecting 173 to be cancelled and have it turn in to a deadhead, which it did). So I only know that 173 is cancelled. 137 is running, and I'm not sure about 95/171/93. I hour 93 still is, so I can take that instead.

Here is the notification on amtrak.com:

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251649250390

Looks like the Capitol Limited is truncated at PGH with no service between PGH and WAS, and 448/449 won't run between ALB and BOS. In addition of course as Triley mentioned above, all Acela service is cancelled east/north of New York.

The rest are on modified schedule with some truncation and cancellations, with no details provided. So your guess is as good as mine.

And here is what the media has been told:

http://6abc.com/weather/amtrak-announces-snowstorm-service-plan/1798565/

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the notification on amtrak.com:

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251649250390

Looks like the Capitol Limited is truncated at PGH with no service between PGH and WAS, and 448/449 won't run between ALB and BOS. In addition of course as Triley mentioned above, all Acela service is cancelled east/north of New York.

The rest are on modified schedule with some truncation and cancellations, with no details provided. So your guess is as good as mine.

And here is what the media has been told:

http://6abc.com/weather/amtrak-announces-snowstorm-service-plan/1798565/
My manager ran over the list for me, since I want to deadhead on 93 instead of 137, but I don't remember any of the WAS<->NYP Regionals.

From Boston... 173 and 179 are cancelled. 171 apparently will be operating only NYP-WAS.

Lake Shore Limited and Pennsylvanian have been cancelled.
AFAICT only 448/449 has been cancelled so far. 48 and 49 are still available for booking from ROC to NYP and NYP to ROC tomorrow, so has not been cancelled yet.

43/42 are not showing as canceled yet, but 29/30 are showing as cancelled.

Last edited by a moderator:
449 has to use the MBTA as far as Worcester. That could very well be the problem, given their performance in snow in the past.

So now I'm preparing for what should be a fun winter-wonderland drive to Albany-Rensselaer tomorrow, or driving overnight to beat the storm ...

[Wife just announced: I'm leaving this evening.]
You married a smart woman. It reflects well on you.

PA turnpike is going in to storm mode. 45 mph speed limited, heavy restrictions on commercial vehicles. Start at 10pm Monday at the New Bedford interchange. That before the 70-76 split off.

For the couple driving to Albany, go now is the right choice.

Back