Northwest mudslide season begins

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume that's the same engine that crapped out in PDX on 500 yesterday morning, leading to yesterday's 507 being

canceled, which presumably would have formed this morning's 504 out of Eugene. But yeah, you'd think there'd be a spare

engine sitting around given all the other cancellations.

I don't question climate change as such. I question a lot of the current fads and even more the proposed fixes. I also question whether the activities of mankind are as big a factor as is generally thought. I also was around to remember the 1970's panics about the earth cooling off due to the actions of man. A lot of the same actions by man were in the proposed solutions then as now.

The mudslide issues are much more in the nature of needing a short term action. If sea level rise is truly real, then the railroad gets raised. As far as they are concerned that is the summation of the action, and it is well in the future in comparison to slope stabilization.

Has anyone going around waving their arms about global warming and sea level rise considered the effect of additonal water in the atmosphere and probably on land as well due to greater evaporation from water surfaces which will happen with any form off temperature increase.

Let me get this straight. A bunch of trains aren't running due to mudslides, but they still can't find enough equipment to operate the runs they have??

Amtrak Cascades@Amtrak_CascadesTrain 504, Eugene to Portland, is cancelled due to an equipment issue. Alternate transportation will be provided.
Could happen if too much equipment gets trapped on the wrong side of a track outage (Don;t know if that is the case in this case). This happened in spades after Hurricane Irene to NJT, which caused them in an attempt to avoid that, to take the disastrous step of moving equipment out of high and dry remote yards to their main storage facility in the Meadowlands marshes only to have them take a bath in the surge in Hurricane Sandy.

BNSF extends moratorium on passenger trainsPassenger and commuter train traffic won't be moving between Seattle and Everett for some time.

Burlington Northern Santa Fe spokesman Gus Melonas said Saturday that a 48-hour moratorium on passenger and commuter train service is now being extended indefinitely.

He said engineers are worried about safety due to more than 10 mudslides that have hit tracks in recent days. He said crews will assess the situation day by day.

Freight train traffic is moving through the corridor at restricted speeds.

BNSF extends moratorium on passenger trains

Passenger and commuter train traffic won't be moving between Seattle and Everett for some time.

Burlington Northern Santa Fe spokesman Gus Melonas said Saturday that a 48-hour moratorium on passenger and commuter train service is now being extended indefinitely.

He said engineers are worried about safety due to more than 10 mudslides that have hit tracks in recent days. He said crews will assess the situation day by day.

And that, ladies and gents, is how passenger rail service in the PNW was unceremoniously stripped clean from partaking in the 2012 holiday season.

Without taking the time to dig up the data, what are we looking at in terms of ridership lost and revenue predictions? Record lows for the Cascades? And would Amtrak ever consider temporarily moving the Seattle departure time for #8 earlier, route the whole train via Portland and then up the Gorge combined, and do the same in reverse for #7?

would Amtrak ever consider temporarily moving the Seattle departure time for #8 earlier, route the whole train via Portland and then up the Gorge combined, and do the same in reverse for #7?
The only thing that Amtrak might do is send the whole train to Portland. There isn't anywhere near enough time to get the train to Portland, then change ends and head back up to Seattle, service, and turn, go back to Portland, change ends and go back east.

The best you could even realistically hope for, for an arrival of #7 into Seattle if it ran via Portland would be 2 pm. That's not even enough time to service the train and make its normal departure of 4:45 pm, let alone an earlier one (it would have to leave before 1 pm to make an on-time departure from Portland).

So, long story short, no.

Affected are Cascades 510/513, 516/517, EB 7/8 and Sounder North. There are four Cascades trips south of SEA and only two north. So we're talking about potentially cutting Cascades ridership by one-third. I doubt that EB ridership will be affected all that much, as eastbound passengers will either grumble and take the bus, or get friends to drive them to Everett. Sounder already has buses lined up.

But really, somebody at Amtrak, WSDOT and BNSF had better be making plans now! If this becomes a huge, ongoing problem, they had better start looking at the feasibility of running 7/8 over the Auburn-Stampede Pass route. Now that would be some interesting rare mileage!

The situation is likely to remain in flux in the coming days, with possibly conflicting reports coming from various agencies. The next few days are predicted to be partly rainy/partly sunny, not the steady unremitting events that seem to engender the slides. But then again, the slopes are saturated and gravity will do its thing. Very frustrating all around. When the first houses come crashing down, then perhaps the powers-that-be will get serious.

Amtrak.com:

PACIFIC NORTHWEST SERVICE DISRUPTION CONTINUES
Empire Builder and Amtrak Cascades services affected by area mudslides

Dec. 22, 2012

12:30 p.m. PT

Due to another mudslide north of Seattle, BNSF Railway has placed a moratorium on rail traffic between Seattle and Everett, WA through Tuesday, Dec. 25.

The following Amtrak services are affected:

Empire Builder (Portland/Seattle – Chicago) – Trains 7 and 8 will originate and terminate in Everett, WA with alternate transportation.

Amtrak Cascades – Train service is suspended between Seattle and Vancouver, BC with alternate transportation.

I think I saw something somewhere earlier in the thread about how a pax train was allowed to operate on the outer track in one of the incidents after a small slide with little impact. It may be possible that one slide not covering both could allows for some pax train operation, even at reduced speed. I would love to see that...
It is true. If a small slide doesn't cover both tracks, the outer track is not embargoed for passenger train operation.
It is not true. Revenue passenger trains are not allowed on either main track. This week I saw only 3 empty non-passenger Amtrak trains being positioned through this area.(EB and 2Talgos)

For everyone's clarification the outer track/outboard or Puget Sound side is "Main 1" and the hillside track is "Main 2",

BNSF extends moratorium on passenger trainsPassenger and commuter train traffic won't be moving between Seattle and Everett for some time.

That's not good! This could turn into something like the SL East if BNSF decides to downgrade the line. Unlikely, but who knows?

From Facebook.

Amtrak Cascades

Amtrak Cascades service is suspended between Seattle and Vancouver B.C. until further notice. BNSF is closely monitoring the hillsides and weather forecasts and is evaluating the situation on a day to day basis. Amtrak is providing bus service on this route. Please visit this link to check train status.: http://bit.ly/RSAwUK

More from Facebook.

All Aboard Washington The BNSF moratorium on passenger train service between Seattle and Everett due to unstable ground continues through at least Thursday Dec. 27. Amtrak is busing all the way between Seattle and Vancouver, BC instead of just busing train passengers Seattle-Everett. Empire Builder passengers are bused only Seattle-Everett.

Amtrak can't afford to go through this every winter. They loose money and also gives those who hate amtrak more fuel. maybe its time to find a another route to seattle that is not affected by mudslides. I understand money is tight but something needs to be done. What if the slide had taken out a amtrak train full of passengers instead of the container train?

Kevin, you are so right. I do not know who is paying for the buses and the lost revenue. And I don't know how to quantify lost future revenue from people who decide that they're never going to take a train again.

The problem is that there is no feasible alternate route. The one that comes closest, the eastside route between Renton, Bellevue, Woodinville, and Snohomish, has been cut in half by WSDOT and is now owned by five separate localities, at least one of which is pulling up the tracks. Building a new line would require finding a new RoW; about the only way to do that would be to take away lanes from I-5 or SR 99 -- can you say "pigs will fly"?

I had an interesting conversation on the CS with someone who has worked for the railroads and the transit agencies, and he says that this problem is only going to get worse. He thinks the issue has been inevitable ever since a lot of hillsides were cut away in the 1930s to double-track the line.

But of course, it comes down to money and political will. If the latter is there, the former will be found. And the only way to make political will happen is for us to get everyone we know to join the rail advocacy organizations. I know, they have problems. But if they can start saying that they represent 100 or 1000 times more people than they do now, the politicians will have to listen.

NARP: http://www.narprail.org/donate/join

All Aboard Washington: http://allaboardwashington.org/join-us/join-or-renew-online/

Last edited by a moderator:
Why aren't passengers bussed to Everett from Seattle for the Amtrak Cascades run north up to Vancouver, B.C.? Is this moratorium so strict that BNSF won't even allow Amtrak engineers to run the trains up to Everett?

http://www.amtrak.co...d=1251623160072
If the tracks are passable, crews can run empty trains through the mudslide sites during the moratorium. They cannot run trains with passengers on board. The philosophy is that a relative handful of trained employees could escape safely from a train derailed by a mudslide, while a train with a hundred or more passengers of varying degrees of physical capability would have a much more difficult time getting out quickly.

As stated, there is no feasible alternative route. I guess Amtrak could reroute its Spokane - Seattle route over the former NP route through Yakima and over Stampede Pass into Auburn and into Seattle, but that would be a very drastic measure.

As stated, there is no feasible alternative route. I guess Amtrak could reroute its Spokane - Seattle route over the former NP route through Yakima and over Stampede Pass into Auburn and into Seattle, but that would be a very drastic measure.
I sure hope that someone at Amtrak, WSDOT and BNSF are at least considering how they could do this temporarily. I suppose that it would come down to cost and convenience -- but of course, it wouldn't solve how to get Sounder North trains, and Cascades SEA-VAC service, through. Rerouting the EB permanently would have its advantages, but after all the troubles Leavenworth went through to get the EB to stop there, they would certainly be very unhappy. In the best of all worlds, I imagine that the state would like to have trains using both routes, but that would require much more budget than is available at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back