NW Mini-Gathering

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What day(s) of the week would work for you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
JayPea and I have been wondering if there is any interest in doing a weekend mini-gathering in the Northwest. While some of us will be going to Philadelphia, others won't be able to go that far, so we were thinking that it would be fun to get together informally one weekend this summer. We think that the best location would be Portland, since it's probably the easiest location for everyone to get to, and PDX station is an easy jumping-off point for anything we decide to do.

At this point, we have no specific plans -- we hope it can be an informal get-together like the ones in Texas and Florida. If you're interested, respond to the poll and add comments describing what you'd be interested in doing.

:hi: I voted for Aug 11-13 since I usually am visiting my Brother in Sonoma,Ca on my Annual Freeloading Beat the Heat Trip to the Left Coast! Would be neat to ride the Starlight up to PDX, see my friends in the NW and ride the Builder home via CHI! Good idea Charlie, can you arrange nice Weather like we had in Oct for the Gathering? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: I voted for Aug 11-13 since I usually am visiting my Brother in Sonoma,Ca on my Annual Freeloading Beat the Heat Trip to the Left Coast! Would be neat to ride the Starlight up to PDX, see my friends in the NW and ride the Builder home via CHI! Good idea Charlie, can you arrange nice Weather like we had in Oct for the Gathering? :)
Jim, the chances of getting good weather are pretty high around then. According to UW meteorologist Cliff Mass,

during the magical last week of July and first week of August we are one of the driest places in the U.S., with a climatological probability of rain of around 10%.
It would be great if you could join us!

I voted for Sunday, Sept 2, as hubby and I will be arriving in Portland that morning around 10 AM. We'll be boarding the Cascades for Seattle around noonish. Would love to be able to meet up with AU folk then, or possible in Seattle, when we'll be taking the EB back to Chicago. We have only an hour layover in Seattle, however, but about two hours in Portland, which will give us more time to "visit".

For me, the first three weekends are out. After that, anything is fine. I arbitrarily voted for Aug. 4th through the 6th, but that's not set in stone. As for which days, Saturdays are completely out, Sundays are OK, and Mondays work the best. And, generally, the Portland weather that time of year is fantastic! Better than that of Seattle, even, IMHO.

I'm not sure what the rest of the group would say, but I sort of felt that the TX Mini-Gathering was almost a little too informal in actual practice. I think it stemmed from my own lack of knowledge of what there was to do in the winning city, how exactly to get to each location, and in what order to do everything. On the first day the folks who knew the area helped show us the way and on the second day we all just sort of splintered off and did our own thing. In the end it worked out fine, but if I had to do it over again I think I would try to better plan and define the what/when/where details ahead of time and to collect the contact details during the planning process. That's by no means intended to say it needs to be a formal event to succeed; just that it may have helped to get more of the specifics nailed down and squared away before the trip began. These are minor considerations in the big scheme of things, but I figured I would mention them anyway.

In any case Portland seems like the perfect city for a rail-minded gathering. :cool:

TS, thanks for your feedback. I know that we'll need to do some coordination and planning. I think the level of planning will depend on who decides to come, and how familiar they are with Portland. So if anyone wants to make suggestions for activities, places to eat, and so on, please post them! Thanks.

Our mini Florida gathering was very informal and I think it worked very well. The weather did not cooperate, but I think, regardless, everyone had a nice time (except maybe the_traveler, who is STILL complaining that I promised good weather and did not provide it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ). Due to a very late Silver Star, our plans had to be canceled, but then due to the quick mind of Alan, we were able to do our planned scenic boat ride. I tried to over-plan, but, in this case, minimal planning worked fine.

I would love to go to Portland some time this summer, but I do not think my budget will allow it. I will not be voting, but if the stars (and points) line up properly, maybe I will show up.

I look for any excuse to come to the PNW. I was thinking of taking some vacation time in late August or early September to ride the entire Canadian going west with my grandparents. Perhaps I could time it to arrive on the west coast during a meet up? But nothing is set in stone for me and I can be very flexible with my schedule, so whatever works for most of the people interested in going.

I've been away for a few days, and there doesn't seem to have been much happening on this thread. West coasters, any interest? Alice, Cascadia, D T Nelson, EMDF9A, fairviewroad, inspiration100, johnny.menhennet, manderson, SP&S, trainman74, WhoozOn1st, zephyr17, and lots I'm forgetting... I'm looking at you :)

I've been away for a few days, and there doesn't seem to have been much happening on this thread. West coasters, any interest? Alice, Cascadia, D T Nelson, EMDF9A, fairviewroad, inspiration100, johnny.menhennet, manderson, SP&S, trainman74, WhoozOn1st, zephyr17, and lots I'm forgetting... I'm looking at you :)
I can't wait till I graduate for the sole purpose of being able to meet you guys. However, school is still present in my life and I will not be able to attend anything for a while, unless in Southern California, for the time being.

Charlie, I didn't vote cuz I don't know what my schedule is going to be for the summer. In general, Saturdays and Mondays work best. Can't pick any individual weeks at this time -- sorry!

Hi Charlie, just back home from a roadtrip. I'll be up there mid-July, don't know my August schedule yet. Pick your dates and I'll try to make it, no guarantees. I'm a day's drive from Portland.

Based on the replies we've gotten thus far, JayPea and I are suggesting Sunday, August 12, and the days surrounding it. The main event would be on Sunday, in between the arrivals of 500, 27, 501, and 504, and the departures of 14, 28, 507 and 508. Thus, people who want to do a day trip can do so, and folks who want to stay longer can stay over Saturday and/or Sunday nights.

Of course, things like the aerial tram aren't open on Sundays, but the group did that last year at the Seattle gathering. So let us know if you're interested in joining us. Feel free to PM me if you wish. Hope you can come along!

Based on the replies we've gotten thus far, JayPea and I are suggesting Sunday, August 12, and the days surrounding it.

You will have missed me by a week, as we'll be in SEA and PDX the week before that. If there's anything you'd like me to check on for you in either place, let me know. We'll be getting back home on Aug. 8. If I can get a decent wi-fi connection in PDX, I can post from there on Aug 5.

Based on the replies we've gotten thus far, JayPea and I are suggesting Sunday, August 12, and the days surrounding it.

You will have missed me by a week, as we'll be in SEA and PDX the week before that. If there's anything you'd like me to check on for you in either place, let me know. We'll be getting back home on Aug. 8. If I can get a decent wi-fi connection in PDX, I can post from there on Aug 5.
Thanks, Pat! I looked at your itinerary and couldn't make it fit with everyone else's schedule, but I'd love to connect with you while you're in SEA.

I'll be in Seattle Tues & Wed July 31, & Wed Aug 1. I'm attending my neices wedding in Yakima the rest of the week. I'm taking the CS #11 on Mon the 6th! If anyone would like to get together, let me know!

RF

I cant commit to anything just yet. I voted for any time in August... Heading to MSP in July for a family reunion (How I wish it were on the EB) but as of now I have nothign in the way from work for August.

David

Seattle

Sounds like we could have a mini-mini-gathering in SEA with Pat and David the week before. :) Micro-gathering, anyone?

Just FYI, anyone who's going to PDX for the weekend of August 11-12: book soon, as the buckets on Sunday look pretty high, and hotel rates in Portland are pretty high as well.

Thanks, Pat! I looked at your itinerary and couldn't make it fit with everyone else's schedule, but I'd love to connect with you while you're in SEA.
That might be doable. I'm traveling with my hubby, but I don't think he'd mind meeting a train buff. We'll only have an hour between trains, though. The EB is scheduled to arrive at 10:25, and I supposed we could head for the lounge and look for you. Since we'll be coming off a sleeper, we'll have access to it. If both trains are on time, #513 won't have arrived when we get there at 10:25.

I am feeling this urge to do a miles run on United to make headway towards Platinum for next year. 12th August so far looks feasible for me, so it is likely that I will show up there. I'll probably arrive afternoon of 11th and leave morning of 13th. So far how many are expected to be there? It is in Portland, right?

Just bagged a $350 RT fare for collecting almost 7000 miles! Don't even ask how convoluted the routing is to maximize miles!

I am feeling this urge to do a miles run on United to make headway towards Platinum for next year. 12th August so far looks feasible for me, so it is likely that I will show up there. I'll probably arrive afternoon of 11th and leave morning of 13th. So far how many are expected to be there? It is in Portland, right?

Just bagged a $350 RT fare for collecting almost 7000 miles! Don't even ask how convoluted the routing is to maximize miles!
Yes, it will be in Portland (PDX). I will be arriving Saturday morning on 501 and can meet anyone if you let me know when you'll be getting there. I'll be leaving Sunday evening on 508.

We don't have numbers yet, but I'll keep track and let everyone know. Feel free to PM me with details of your plans.

That's an amazing airfare...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back