NYC Penn Station to Charleston SC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andyflag4

We are taking a day time train (Palmetto) from NYC to Charleston. Which side would have the best view from the BC seats. Are the seats all 2 x 2? Thanks ~Andy

By default I would sit on the West side - since the morning sun can be kind of harsh. Somehow - the afternoon sun is not as bad - as the morning sun is on the East.

Although the Potomac river will be on the left. I think the scenery is fabulous from Washington, DC South. I really like the Potomac, Fredricksburg, VA, Ashland, VA (nice), The Viaduct in Richmond over the James River (Grand view), Southside Virginia (farms, farmland), Eastern NC (nice), South Carolina swamps.

I think it is a very scenic route - just no mountains. But I love rural landscapes. Plenty of aesthetic farm settings, and small Carolina towns.

In the northern part of North Carolina the route crosses a lot of water. It gives riders a platform for viewing wetlands that is hard to get anywhere else. I vote for the east side (left of the car) immediately south of DC because the Potomac scenery is wonderful, though the morning sun can indeed be bright.

I've unfortunately not been further south than Florence, SC, on this line - please come back after your trip and give a report on that part of the route!

For me, the best place to sit aboard a train is INSIDE the train!
mosking.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back