NYP: Easiest way to get from track level to Amtrak level

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjemartin

Train Attendant
Hello

I am travelling on Amtrak for the Christmas holidays from NFL to WIL. I will be on Amtrak #64 from NFL to NYP. My question is, when I get to NYP what's the easiest way to get from track level to the Amtrak level? I've traveled this route a few times before and seems like I always end up going through the sketchy parts of the station to get up to the Amtrak level.

Thanks in advance

I have learned that when I travel on the acela and FC is in the back I end up by an escalator that takes you right up to the Amtrak level. So I suggest that you try one of the rear cars on your train. I am assuming all platforms are the same. Your train will come in on a different platform since you are coming off the empire corridor.

I have learned that when I travel on the acela and FC is in the back I end up by an escalator that takes you right up to the Amtrak level. So I suggest that you try one of the rear cars on your train. I am assuming all platforms are the same. Your train will come in on a different platform since you are coming off the empire corridor.
Cool, Thank you for the info. I'll try that next time I'm getting off Amtrak at NYP

The Amtrak designated platforms have two types of escalators . Some go directly up two levels to the Amtrak concourse and others only go up one level requiring you to find another escalator, elevator, or stairs too continue up to the Amtrak level. It is hard to tell from the platform if the escalator will be going up one or two levels . The LIRR and NJT concourses are one level up from their platforms .

Actually the NJT concourse level accessed from the platforms is one and a half level up from the platform. You have to take steps down to the LIRR and Amtrak arrival levels from the NJT concourse with access to platforms by stairs and escalators.

Jis, I gave a simple workable answer to the OP question ! Perhaps next time you are at NYP could count the number of moving escalator steps too distinguish between one level, one and a half levels, and two levels for your required level of accuracy.

Many, although I'm not sure that all are, of the escalators are marked "Concourse level". An escalator marked with that will take you to the Amtrak level.

And following on what Steve4031 stated, all platforms from 7/8 over to 15/16 have at least 4 escalators. The two closest to the ends of the train, this is to say that one closer to the engine and one closer to the last car, are the ones that go to the Amtrak/NJT level. The inner 2 escalators, the ones closer to the middle of the train, go to the LIRR level.

Or here's another way to think about this, starting from the 7th Avenue side of the station there is 1 escalator going up in the direction of 8th Avenue that goes to the Amtrak level. The next escalator as you continue walking towards 8th Avenue goes to the LIRR level. In the middle should be an elevator, then continuing on the next escalator (which is now traveling up in the 7th Avenue direction) goes to the LIRR level again. Finally the next one you'll come to (again going up in the 7th Ave direction meaning you'd have to do a 180 turn if you were walking down the platform from 7th Ave.) goes to the Amtrak level.

On some of the highest numbered platforms you may find yet one more escalator or set of stairs going to the LIRR 8th Avenue concourse.

It also should be pointed out that the escalators are switched to up when a train arrives at the platform and reversed to down when the train is announced for boarding. There are no dual up/down sets that I know of but, I am open for correction .

It also should be pointed out that the escalators are switched to up when a train arrives at the platform and reversed to down when the train is announced for boarding. There are no dual up/down sets that I know of but, I am open for correction .
Thank you for the info, I did not know about that.

Jis, I gave a simple workable answer to the OP question ! Perhaps next time you are at NYP could count the number of moving escalator steps too distinguish between one level, one and a half levels, and two levels for your required level of accuracy.
Jis was just pointing out that there are indeed several levels to this complicated station. It took me a very long time to get comfortable with NYP... it's a complex maze for sure.

That being said... the OP complained about walking through "sketchy" parts of NYP? goodness... take a wrong turn and you could end up in Starbucks or a Jamaba Juice on the Long Island Level! The horrors! (I'm being silly.... sorta).

I'd rather get up to the surface (i.e. an actual station level) and figure it out from there then fight crowds with luggage on narrow platforms.. but that's just me.

That being said... the OP complained about walking through "sketchy" parts of NYP? goodness... take a wrong turn and you could end up in Starbucks or a Jamaba Juice on the Long Island Level! The horrors! (I'm being silly.... sorta).

I'd rather get up to the surface (i.e. an actual station level) and figure it out from there then fight crowds with luggage on narrow platforms.. but that's just me.
The "sketchy" parts I was referring to are the people just sitting/laying on the floors in what looks like a deserted area of the station. I am not sure whether they are waiting for transportation or are homeless.

I know you probably were trying to be sarcastic, but you're sarcasm is not needed, thank you....Not sure how you'd feel about being mugged, but I'd rather not experience that

Last edited by a moderator:
The easiest way I find is to use a Red Cap!
I was born with Cerebral Palsy, however mildly, it still affects my right hand/feet (coordination). I've tried to get a redcap at times(maybe I didn't try hard enough), but it seems nearly impossible at times

BTW, how would someone go about requesting a redcap when arriving at NYP? Do you phone a certain number and request a redcap that way or ?

I believe you can ask the conductor, but well before you arrive, to request a red cap. S/he should be able to call ahead for one for you.

There will be some on the platform, but others may grab them before you do. I agree, ask the conductor, but well before the train gets to NYP (like 15-20 minutes) and they can arrange to have one meet the train for you.

The "sketchy" parts I was referring to are the people just sitting/laying on the floors in what looks like a deserted area of the station. I am not sure whether they are waiting for transportation or are homeless.

I know you probably were trying to be sarcastic, but you're sarcasm is not needed, thank you....Not sure how you'd feel about being mugged, but I'd rather not experience that
I was indeed being sarcastic... NYP is one of the safest feeling places to me... and I've seen the types you are talking about on the Amtrak level just as much as the lower levels (NJT and LIRR).

NYP is a very tricky station.. and indeed depending on which platform and which stairway you could end up in some less traveled areas and some of them may feel more sketchy than others.

I'm guessing the "sketchy" areas you are referring to would have been a random hallway or something.. and not part of the main concourses. Cause again.. the Lower Level (Long Island Level) is where all the shops are.. Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Taco Bell (well that is a bit sketchy... sorry that sarcasim again) and VERY heavily traveled by passengers headed to the subways and LIRR trains.

The red cap suggestion is a good one... and that goes for anyone who is unfamiliar with NYP... being lost in NYP is very easy to do and with luggage.. not too fun.

I was indeed being sarcastic... NYP is one of the safest feeling places to me... and I've seen the types you are talking about on the Amtrak level just as much as the lower levels (NJT and LIRR). NYP is a very tricky station.. and indeed depending on which platform and which stairway you could end up in some less traveled areas and some of them may feel more sketchy than others. I'm guessing the "sketchy" areas you are referring to would have been a random hallway or something.. and not part of the main concourses. Cause again.. the Lower Level (Long Island Level) is where all the shops are.. Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Taco Bell (well that is a bit sketchy... sorry that sarcasim again) and VERY heavily traveled by passengers headed to the subways and LIRR trains. The red cap suggestion is a good one... and that goes for anyone who is unfamiliar with NYP... being lost in NYP is very easy to do and with luggage.. not too fun.
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond back, but I just want to apologize to TVRM610 for snapping at you like that, I was in a bad mood that day. So I hope you can accept my apology.

I know this is a little off topic from my op, but I found an article about a "secret" for boarding Amtrak trains at NYP which can be found here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/07/11/penn_station_boarding_secret.html

That article was written back in July of 2013. I just wanted to know that is it possible to board an Amtrak train that way, even today?

I was indeed being sarcastic... NYP is one of the safest feeling places to me... and I've seen the types you are talking about on the Amtrak level just as much as the lower levels (NJT and LIRR). NYP is a very tricky station.. and indeed depending on which platform and which stairway you could end up in some less traveled areas and some of them may feel more sketchy than others. I'm guessing the "sketchy" areas you are referring to would have been a random hallway or something.. and not part of the main concourses. Cause again.. the Lower Level (Long Island Level) is where all the shops are.. Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Taco Bell (well that is a bit sketchy... sorry that sarcasim again) and VERY heavily traveled by passengers headed to the subways and LIRR trains. The red cap suggestion is a good one... and that goes for anyone who is unfamiliar with NYP... being lost in NYP is very easy to do and with luggage.. not too fun.
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond back, but I just want to apologize to TVRM610 for snapping at you like that, I was in a bad mood that day. So I hope you can accept my apology.

I know this is a little off topic from my op, but I found an article about a "secret" for boarding Amtrak trains at NYP which can be found here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/07/11/penn_station_boarding_secret.html

That article was written back in July of 2013. I just wanted to know that is it possible to board an Amtrak train that way, even today?
Regarding boarding thru the lower level platforms as indicated by the article, it all depends whether the Amtrak police are stationed at the lower level stairwell when the train is boarding. If they are, you will have to go back to upper level and get in back of the line.

I boarded an acela from the lower level in November. I was waiting down there by a monitor and heard a train arrive. I walked down a few stairs and saw the acela arrive. I was on the platform before the track was posted. Got a good seat too c

I boarded from the lower level but was asked by an Amtrak employee

why I was boarding from there. I just kept walking to the train and

said I was told to board there.

Regarding boarding thru the lower level platforms as indicated by the article, it all depends whether the Amtrak police are stationed at the lower level stairwell when the train is boarding. If they are, you will have to go back to upper level and get in back of the line.
@OBS: Did you have your boarding pass/Amtrak ticket with you at the time? For the life of me I don't know they have to check tickets before boarding....Seems like NJT, LIRR, etc does not have to go through that (or so I've heard before)

@OBS: Did you have your boarding pass/Amtrak ticket with you at the time? For the life of me I don't know they have to check tickets before boarding....Seems like NJT, LIRR, etc does not have to go through that (or so I've heard before)
I work for Amtrak...I just have observed police blocking lower level stairs on many occasions and sending people up to Amtrak concourse to board. It is more of a control/security measure to make sure you have right ticket for right train, etc.

I work for Amtrak...I just have observed police blocking lower level stairs on many occasions and sending people up to Amtrak concourse to board. It is more of a control/security measure to make sure you have right ticket for right train, etc.
And I too have seen the police standing down there. And I've seen many posts from others who have either seen them or been caught in the sting and sent back up, even if they had a valid ticket. They're not always there for every train, and they seem to do it more for the Acela's based upon my limited observations than the Regionals, not sure why that is.

But the whole idea is rather silly and wasteful of our taxpayer dollars. While people boarding the wrong train is and has been a problem for Amtrak, in this case if you know about the lower level then you know what you're doing and are a regular rider. Anyone who doesn't travel often or is on their first trip is upstairs where the gate attendant can check their ticket to make sure that they're boarding the right train.

It took me a very long time to get comfortable with NYP... it's a complex maze for sure.
Having visited many stations and airports all over the world I cannot name even a single example that's anywhere near as stupefying as NYP. Not even Heathrow. What kind of person designs a travel hub to be a complex maze that takes a very long time to comprehend? By definition a major travel hub will be catering to brand new travelers every single day and, in the case of NYP, will be confusing the hell out of them. I enjoy New York but in many ways New York seems to thrive in spite of itself rather than as a result of reasonable and logical planning. New Yorkers themselves don't seem that interested in fixing any of it. Indeed they seem to experience immense satisfaction at having spent time and effort figuring out something needlessly tedious and convoluted.

What NYP needs are staff stationed throughout the area who can help people find their way around one of the most confusing stations in the world. Unfortunately what NYP actually gets are security staff who would rather boss you around for being in the wrong place at the wrong time than help you get to your train as quickly and easily as possible. It's for our own safety, I'm sure, because being corralled into a common area is the best method we have for avoiding a coordinated attack.

It's nothing but a manufactured choke point. They force you into a funnel that slows everyone down so you can just barely reach your train on time. Because, I dunno, someone might get a ride for free until caught. Which I guess in a zero tolerance metropolis like NYC is the most important thing imaginable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back