NYP to Niagara Falls (NY) -- Maple Leaf or Empire Service?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rms492

Service Attendant
Hello, which train would be better from New York Penn to Niagara Falls

NY?

The Maple Leaf, or one of the regular Empire Service trains (#281).

I seem to think it will be difficult for me to catch the Maple Leaf at 7:15 am from New York Penn....that is way too early for me.

At least #281 leaves at a more reasonable 10:20 am, but nonetheless, I'd like some opinions and/or recommendations.

Is business class recommended?

Are either trains Amfleet II or I?

Do both trains reach 110mph along the run to Albany?

and I also heard its faster to take a taxi from the New York Niagara Falls station to the bridge, walk through customs, then pick up another taxi on the Canadian side, is that what you recommend?

I believe when I rode the Maple Leaf there were two Amfleet II's, followed by two Amfleet I's, then the split Cafe/Business Class. If you get on this train, I would say the Amfleet II seats would be very comparable to the Business Class, except for the fact that you may get a single seat with no passenger beside you, and are slightly wider. Of course you're also in the Cafe, as opposed to 3-4 cars away, which is great to make use of your complimentary beverages.

As far as the Empire Service goes, I'm not sure. I do not believe there are any Amfleet IIs, and I'm not sure if the Cafe is a split. If it is, I would pay the extra to have a seat by itself in Business Class. It's only $32. Not bad at all for 9 hours. If it's a full Business Class car, then I would try to get on the Maple Leaf for a Amfleet II car (or Business Class)...Not that the I's aren't comfortable.

If it were me, personally? I would do everything in my power to make sure I'm in Business Class, on whichever train has the split Cafe/Business Class!

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't state when you are traveling but under the current plan, the Maple Leaf is operating with 1 A2 with three AM1s and a split club. This time of year, 281 operates with 4 AM1s followed by a split club.

Both trains are authorized to operate at the same track speed.

As for the border crossing, I've never been involved but I believe it is quicker to hop out and cab it, particularly if the border agents detain the train.

Triley and ThirdRail7 provided good Insider info.

I have ridden this route many times ( over 50/ lived in Oakville,ON))in both directions and also crossed via the bridge and even though you're not a morning person, ( I'm not either)I suggest taking the Maple Leaf in Business Class, as was said well worth it!

The Maple Leaf will arrive @ the VIA Station in Daylight on the Canadian side and it might be dark by the time you detrain @ the New York Station, find a cab, ( the Station is a few miles from town in an Industrial Area), cross the bridge and get to your hotel.

After the Niagara Falls,New York stop,the train will cross the Whirlpool Bridge and stop @ the VIA Station ( the Bus Station is across the Street)where Canadian Customs and Immigration will conduct their inspections ( Biz Class goes first) inside the Station,( a change from when it was done aboard the train) then you are free to go.

There are cabs around both Stations, and the City Bus runs right along side the River ( West) towards town a block down the streetto the left from the VIA Station.

The backup up @ the Bridges can sometimes be bad, and I've found the Canadian officials @ the VIA Station ( where the Crews change out and it becomes a VIA Train to/from Toronto) to be both quicker and friendlier than the bridge crews.

It seems like everybody gets cleared on the train one at a time I believe, and is forced to detrain at that time (even if you were considering north to Toronto). When I was riding from Niagara Falls, ON to Toronto, it took almost 45 minutes to get all but one passenger cleared. The station is also in downtown, so you would either have to take a city bus or cab, if you were planning on heading down to the Falls area.

Edit: Ignore what I said. Bob Dylan has actually made the crossing, so his info would be correct.

The Empire Service trains are generally Amfleet 1 coaches with the split cafe providing the business class. Maple Leaf will usually have an Am 2 in the consist. Schedule is usually the biggest consideration for choice.

Anyone taken the train from Chicago to Toronto to catch the VIA rail?
Yep, there was a thread on this a couple of years ago.
I've done the trip several times, took the Lake Shore from CHI to both Buffalo and Rochester and visited the downtowns, ( Buffalo is Much more interesting)then the Maple Leaf to Toronto.

Also have taken the Wolverine to Detroit, spent the night in Windsor ( Much Better!) and then VIA to Toronto.

All things considered, I'd say do the Lake Shore overnight to Buffalo, then the Maple Leaf to Toronto.( Business Class is worth the Upgrade)

You can ride the City Bus from the Depew Station ( out by the Airport) to downtown or take an expensive cab, then store your bags with the friendly agent @ the Exchange Street Station and Catch the Maple Leaf that afternoon after Lunch and sightseeing! ( don't miss City Hall!)

Or, leave your bags @ Depew and do a roundtrip from Depew to downtown but it's easier to do the first shuttle and give you more time downtown.

There is only 1 train to Toronto each day. That 1 train is that early departure from NY that leaves Buffalo in the afternoon. The LSL arrives from Chicago in the morning. The other way, the Maple Leaf arrives in Buffalo in the morning but the LSL does not depart until midnight to Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back