Ohio Test Train??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing on Facebook this morning and noticed this posting by an Ohio railfan. I haven't seen any discussion of this on any boards, nor have I seen any press release. Has anyone else heard this???

October 18th Amtrak is going to send it's final test train through, making stops in Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnatti!!! In the next few years Amtrak hopes to create commuter service in these cities, too! How is this all possible you may be asking, well, President Obama has given Amtrak a $158 million grant to create high-speed rail service in Ohio!!!!!

October 18th Amtrak is going to send it's final test train through
FINAL??? :huh:

When was the 1st? :huh:
Yeah...notice he also says "commuter" service. I really don't think this person knows what he's talking about, but I just wanted to check and see if there was any shred of truth to this whatsoever.

Now as for "other" test runs...correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe there was a test train run during a similar study in 1993. As far as I know, that was the last time anything significant took place in this long saga for 3-C service.

October 18th Amtrak is going to send it's final test train through
FINAL??? :huh:

When was the 1st? :huh:
Yeah...notice he also says "commuter" service. I really don't think this person knows what he's talking about, but I just wanted to check and see if there was any shred of truth to this whatsoever.

Now as for "other" test runs...correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe there was a test train run during a similar study in 1993. As far as I know, that was the last time anything significant took place in this long saga for 3-C service.
Amtrak ran a test train in 1993, there was also another test using a non-Amtrak train down the line for the ORDC's feasibility report that had a draft released last week.

In short-- there have been test trains running down the line however they haven't been using Amtrak consists. In addition, I think the Facebook user may also be confusing Amtrak for the ORDC as it has been the ORDC which has been doing the vast majority of rail inspections and tests on the planned route.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the grant this is wishful thinking... I don't even know how much the ORDC is requesting in Federal HSR funding, all I know is that they haven't even requested it yet. They have to go through the red tape to get it-- and they are getting close to the federal evaluation phase, however, no monies have been appropriated for Ohio specifically or (much less) released to Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back