Okay any of you ever on the Blue Train or in Australia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillVas

Service Attendant
Okay, I have traveled almost every line in Amtrak twice if not three times, but I am thinking of looking into the trains of South Africa, and Australia. Has anyone taken these and are they what they are cracked up to be. ???/

Bill

Okay, I have traveled almost every line in Amtrak twice if not three times, but I am thinking of looking into the trains of South Africa, and Australia. Has anyone taken these and are they what they are cracked up to be. ???/
Bill
Well, I have not ridden an trains in Australia, but I saw The Ghan in Alice Springs. Looks like a great train.
Here is the official web site:

http://www.gsr.com.au/

I rode trains in Austrailia in 1998. They have a rail pass. I rode from Sydney to Brisbane, and then to Cairns and back. Then rode the Indian Pacific to Perth, and back to Sydney. From Sydney we took another train to Meobourne.

Overall, it was a fascinating trip. Each train was intersting to ride on. My favorite was from Brisbaine to Cairns. The tracks are narrow guage, but the train is a full service passenger train wit sleepers, diner, etc. The accomodations on this train was fine, and the meals were fine too. I really do not remember anything bad, so I know it was Ok. We had a sleeper that acomodated three people. It was somewhat crowede with three, but would be fine for two.

The XPT trains were comfortable, but like horizon or amfleet cars, it was tiresome to sit in them for a day long trip. The food sericee on these trains was adequate. Bring some of your own food to snack on incase you do not like the food that is availabe.

The Indian Pacific is a great trip. But be aware of Holiay class. They had the same menu each day of the trip. By the time we were on our way back, my dad and I got off the train and had Breakfast during the long layover in Adelaide. The best class of service seemed prohibitive to us, but if you can afford it, do it. The cars on the train are a 1970 version of the streamlined budd cars. However, we were not allowed to ride with the dutch door open.

I am sure that the Ghan would be a great trip if you can fit it ine.

If you have to pick and chooose, make sure you do the Brisbane Cairns line, the Indian Pacific, and then I think the Ghan would e the third most intersting. If you only have time to do one, stay longer and do the Indian Pacific and the ride to Cairns. :D

Sydney is worth a few days, they have a transit system.

Perth is worth a day or so, it also has a transit system.

Cairns is worth a few days. Go snorkling on the barrier reef. Take the train up to the Jungle that leaves from Cairsns.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions you can send a pm or leave them on this forum.

You can email me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back