OKC-MKA Jan 21-22 821/22/337

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
Worked in another business trip by train, 2nd time within a month-rarely comes together, but I made it work. Took the Heartland Flyer to FTW, Texas Eagle to CHI, and the Hiawatha to Milwaukee Mitchell Intl Airport. Really had to go to Madison, but didn't want to bus from CHI, so I chose to just go into Milwaukee, since the train stops at the airport, I was able to get my rental there, and will drop it when I fly back out of Milwaukee on Friday.

The Flyer, in my experience has always been a class act-the crews are always good, it's usually right on time, and I have never had a problem. Yesterday could have gone either way, but they made it work, and we left just a bit late, after the crew sorted out a bit of a problem.....the Flyer crew is FTW based, and layover in OKC. I think they contract out the car cleaning and maintenance.....apparently no one bothered to schedule a carman to cover for the normal guy who apparently was off for Mt Luther King day. Unfortunately, he's the guy with the keys to the padlocks they use to chain the doors shut for overnight security. Long story short, the crew had no way to open the doors. There was initially talk of the train canceling, but common sense prevailed and OKC's finest arrived with a universal key (bolt cutters) and the cops and crew went about cutting the chains and locks off. Other than that, it was a nice, Uneventful ride into FTW. The weather was cold and clear, and gorgeous running along the Ouachita river, was a nice ride, light load, and I actually managed to get a little work done en-route.

22 was a bit late arriving into FTW, but not too bad, gave me time to grab a taxi and go to Office Depot for a replacement mouse, mine gave up on the way down......ever try to work with complex spreadsheets using the laptop trackpad? Thankfully I had plenty of time to get a replacements otherwise I wouldn't have gotten much of anything done. I think it arrived around 2:25 or so, just about the time it was supposed to leave. Boarded the sleeper, and settled into roomette 14 on the lower level. I had never had a lower room, anytime one was assigned I would call and have it moved to the upper. I won't be doing THAT anymore.....I'm going to go for the lower when available from now on, I really find I prefer it. That surprised me, I really thought I would find I like the upper better, but that isn't the case at all. I won't go into all the reasons here, there are threads a plenty covering it, just suffice to say, I'm a lower level convert. Train made up time and stayed on time or early the rest of the way into CHI. Was a pleasant trip, the SCA was good, available, and happier than any person has a right to be. He's young, I assume he will be assimilated soon enough..... Had the usual steak for dinner, this time it was apparently2 thin NY strips stacked on top of each other, and where they have always been just cooked and served, these had a little light gravy or sauce on them. Actually the best I've had on board-I hope this is a new thing for the AMTK signature steak, it was fantastic. Dinner was with a pastor, who was kind of hard to talk to, but a nice guy, and an old guy, 86 YO who looked just like George Burns, down to the suit and tie, and glasses. He was on a 15 day rail pass. Riding coach all over just to see the world. Really cool guy, a blast to talk to. I can't imagine 15 days in coach at 86, but he was digging it! Retired to my room with a cheesecake to go, and 4 sodas from the cafe-thankfully they now sell Ginger Ale, though its Scweppes, they still hold back the Canada Dry for their cocktails.....in any event, settled in for the night with Atlas Shrugged on IBooks, a few ginger ale and Capt Morgans to mellow it all out, and had a nice quiet evening.

Woke up as usual on the early arrival into STL.....I HATE them making announcements that early, just once I wish they would get into St Louis on time, or a little late if only to sleep past 6.... Got moving, and headed to breakfast around 7. Usually have the French toast, but decided to try the omelette this morning....which, they were out of. So, I had the scrambled eggs and bacon, which were also good, though the pre-cooked thin bacon isn't the best, it was still a nice breakfast. Grabbed a cup of coffee, the paper from my room, and headed to the SSL to watch St Louis go by right on time. Spent the rest of the day working in the room, Internet was pretty reliable on the iPhone hotspot from there on more or less. Skipped lunch. As they call "first and only call" for lunch at 10 AM. That is ridiculous....move it to at least 11 or so. Anyway, into CHI a bit early, and waited in the Met lounge until time to make the connection.

Lined up for the Hiawatha about 20 min prior to departure, they boarded it about 10 min prior. Train was busy but not packed, I chose a seat in the rear coach of 7, an Amfleet 1 which was designated the "quiet" car. I liked that, was actually quiet! Noticed when I got off, it was an Amfleet at each end, with 5 Horizons in between-is the head Amfleet a quiet car too? I don't think it had business class, at least it wasn't an option when I booked, so who knows. Was a good ride, on time, and I prefer the Amfleet cars to the Horizons, so was glad to ride there, they just seem more refined to me, I hate the glaring fluorescent lighting in those H cars, the diffused lighting of the Amfleets is much nicer, in my opinion. In any event, arrived at MKA just a few min late, took the shuttle over to the airport terminal, walked right to my waiting car, and drove off 10 min after arriving at the station. Pretty good setup, will work great for future rail-fly trips.

All in all a great trip, no problems encountered (other than the locked coaches in OKC that was soon solved as soon as someone decided to make the call to cut em off...) no bad attitudes, no bad food, it was really a good trip, what they all should be. Would have been nice to have lunch later than 10 AM, but if that's the only complaint, I guess I shave nothing to complain about! Was a good couple of days, I think this can become a regular thing, at least 3-4 times a year. 2 days and 3 trains up, fly back. Upgrade to F has already cleared, so even the return is looking good....I love it when a trip comes together!

Last edited by a moderator:
A GREAT report! I have always enjoyed riding the Heartland Flyer and have found the Conductors and LSAs to be consistently top notch. And when I board southbound at Norman in the morning, the volunteer at the station is always welcoming with the coffee on and anxious to find out where I'm headed to this time and what have I heard is new with Amtrak.

:hi: Nice Trip, thanks for Posting! I ride the Eagle to CHI Often and Lunch is Usually Served after Springfield around 11AM! Either y'all were Running Very Early or the Diner (CCC) Crew was in a Hurry to get Home! :giggle: As an aside, the Diner Crew used to get Off in Austin on #21/#421, so Supper would be Served @ 4PM and in the Morning on the Return North on #22/#422 you got a Box Breakfast! Much Better Now that the Diner Crew goes to SAS, Last call for Dinner is @ Austin and Breakfast is Served about 7:15AM out of SAS!

No business class on the Hiawatha service. No cafe car, either, though there's food and drink for sale from a cart on selected trains.
Ah, that's why-An attendant did come through the car asking if anyone wanted anything, that was a new one for me. He didn't have a cart, guess he takes orders, then comes back with whatever you want. I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for the info,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back