Oldies but goodies?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayman

Engineer
My father has come into a collection of old Amtrak materials, including many copies of certain items. Is there any interest (a) among forum members for things like system maps, travel brochures, magazines, annual reports, employee (non-public) timetables, reports to the ICC, etc, from the 1970s-1990s; or (b) among forum administrators for the same, to scan things for the digital archive? I don't know if I'll have a chance to type up an index of what we've got on this (very short) visit to my parents, but skimming the box I thought at least a few things might be of archival interest.

(I'd have had a bit more time at my parents on this visit if 171 hadn't been delayed for four hours by downed trees north of Charlottesville yesterday!!! At least it wasn't us that actually hit the downed trees -- that fate befell the NS freight ahead of us, which accounted for a lot of the delay.)

My father has come into a collection of old Amtrak materials, including many copies of certain items. Is there any interest (a) among forum members for things like system maps, travel brochures, magazines, annual reports, employee (non-public) timetables, reports to the ICC, etc, from the 1970s-1990s; or (b) among forum administrators for the same, to scan things for the digital archive? I don't know if I'll have a chance to type up an index of what we've got on this (very short) visit to my parents, but skimming the box I thought at least a few things might be of archival interest.

(I'd have had a bit more time at my parents on this visit if 171 hadn't been delayed for four hours by downed trees north of Charlottesville yesterday!!! At least it wasn't us that actually hit the downed trees -- that fate befell the NS freight ahead of us, which accounted for a lot of the delay.)
As the archivist for the Timetable Museum, I can say we might be interested in the ee timetables. Perhaps some of the other paper items, too. I'll let Anthony make the final descion, though. I just scan them, he runs the place!
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
As the archivist for the Timetable Museum, I can say we might be interested in the ee timetables. Perhaps some of the other paper items, too. I'll let Anthony make the final descion, though. I just scan them, he runs the place!
smile.gif
There are some bizarre and impossible-to-scan items, too, like the Amtrak Crescent Mardi Gras beads. I wonder what year they're from.... Not for the archives, obviously
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some bizarre and impossible-to-scan items, too, like the Amtrak Crescent Mardi Gras beads. I wonder what year they're from.... Not for the archives, obviously
biggrin.gif
What did you do to get them?
ohmy.gif
Well, all we did to get them is inherit a huge collection of railroad memorabilia from an acquaintance who passed away last year. As for how he got them, well, that question may have a more interesting answer but I guess Ralph took that secret with him to his grave! ;)

Based on the fact that they are AMTK Crescent Mardi Gras beads; I would assume someone traveled on the Crescent around the time of Mardi Gras (back when Amtrak did fun things) and they came with something (the room, dinner, a party in the lounge car, tickets, the Conductor felt nice, etc).

peter

wayman,

Yes, we'd be interested for the timetable archive. I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back