On board sleeper purchase?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were to buy a coach seat BAL to KIS, how likely, and more importantly, how much would it be to buy a standard sleeper on the train?

I've priced it on Amtrak and they quote $72 for the rail fare, and $239 for the accomodation. I've seen other dates as low as $155 for the accomodation. I'd be willing to pay $155, but not $239.

Anyone know how this works?

The prices fluctuate between different buckets on different dates depending on occupancy and traditional occupancy in the sleepers in past years. If you purchase on board you will get half off the C Bucket.

I believe that as of June, the onboard sleeper purchase fare is equal to the D bucket rate.

Buckets are fare levels, designed (in theory) to maximize revenue by raising fares as demand increases.

For Superliner sleepers (I don't know if Viewliners are different), there are five buckets: D, C, B, A, and S. D is the lowest fare, and there may be (for example) three or four of those available in a car. Once that car has four rooms sold, the D bucket is sold out, and the fare automatically jumps to the C bucket level, etc.

Not all buckets are available on every train. During peak periods (i.e. the summer), there may be little to no space available in D buckets, with a lot more C, B, A, or S bucket fares available.

Amfleet said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you pay half of the highest (or is it lowest) bucket fare when purchasing an onboard upgrade?
It used to be half the lowest bucket, now it's half the C Bucket.

Hmmm... The cheapest I've seen for the sleeper was like $150, so my guess is that is the D bucket. The next fare I saw was like $193, so, we'll call that C.

From that, if available, an on-board sleeper would be half of $193?

Not too unreasonable...

So, if push comes to shove and nothing is available...how bad is a night in coach on this route?

I'd like to add a question to this thread...I'm looking to upgrade on #91 NYP-ORL on 9/2. Right now, a Standard is going for $297.00. Where is this price in relation to the overall price structure? Is there a chance of finding a room onboard to upgrade into for this trip at this time of year? Thanks!

John

n2qmt said:
I'd like to add a question to this thread...I'm looking to upgrade on #91 NYP-ORL on 9/2. Right now, a Standard is going for $297.00. Where is this price in relation to the overall price structure? Is there a chance of finding a room onboard to upgrade into for this trip at this time of year? Thanks!
John
That's the tail end of the summer season, so I don't think you'll be likely to find an on-board upgrade unless there is a no-show. The range of accommodation charges are shown in the back of the national timetable, though each individual bucket is not listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back