On Board Upgrades (Points Eligable?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACVitale

Service Attendant
Somewhere between Florida and the Carolinas
I recently took a trip where the train was sold out and I snatched literally the last seat for sale. I was not able to get my normal roomette on the Silver Star and so checked frequently with the various conductors.

Finally about 2/3 of the way thru the trip a roomette opened up.

Can I earn points on an upgrade enroute?

If so... How?

I have the upgrade reciept. My reservation number is on it. The reservation has my acct number. Only coach ticket points have posted.

Help?

You can indeed earn points for the upgrade, but you'll have to contact AGR to do so. They'll want you to fax/mail in a copy of the upgrade receipt. And you should try to only send a copy, not the actual ticket.

If you get someone that does insist on the actual and even after speaking with a supervisor still get that line, then make several copies of the ticket first. And then send the ticket in via some method where you get a signature back that it was received. The cheapest way is the US Post Office, certified mail with Return Receipt, around $5 or $6 I think.

But I've seen too many stories of tickets being mailed in and then no one can find them and all proof is now gone. So ensure that you send the original via a method whereby you can prove that AGR got it, such that if they claim they didn't you can prove it and then send them a copy of both the ticket and the proof that they got the original.

You can indeed earn points for the upgrade, but you'll have to contact AGR to do so. They'll want you to fax/mail in a copy of the upgrade receipt. And you should try to only send a copy, not the actual ticket.

If you get someone that does insist on the actual and even after speaking with a supervisor still get that line, then make several copies of the ticket first. And then send the ticket in via some method where you get a signature back that it was received. The cheapest way is the US Post Office, certified mail with Return Receipt, around $5 or $6 I think.

But I've seen too many stories of tickets being mailed in and then no one can find them and all proof is now gone. So ensure that you send the original via a method whereby you can prove that AGR got it, such that if they claim they didn't you can prove it and then send them a copy of both the ticket and the proof that they got the original.
Thanks, I was hoping it would be automatic but, seems easy enough!

Much Appreciated,

ACVitale

Last edited by a moderator:
to where should i send?

how many points would i get for the $29 onboard upgrade from pvd to nyp?

its funny - its all in the ask - i asked the same question earlier this week and no one understood me sigh

i also have a unused ticket (sep from the one above) that i need to return for my points back- i can do that right? where to send?

Is the ticket printed yet?
huh.gif
If so call AGR and they will tell you where to send it. (Being in-house, I'm not sure where to send it anymore. It used to be Minneapolis when it was handled by Carlson.)

If the ticket was not printed, just call AGR - and your points will be back into your account before you even hang up!
biggrin.gif

And that's assuming you cancelled before the train departed.

Also, once you call AGR, ask about how to get the points for the upgrade. (I think you'll only get the 2 points/$ for the $29.)

Is the ticket printed yet?
huh.gif
If so call AGR and they will tell you where to send it. (Being in-house, I'm not sure where to send it anymore. It used to be Minneapolis when it was handled by Carlson.)

If the ticket was not printed, just call AGR - and your points will be back into your account before you even hang up!
biggrin.gif

And that's assuming you cancelled before the train departed.

Also, once you call AGR, ask about how to get the points for the upgrade. (I think you'll only get the 2 points/$ for the $29.)

ut oh... no i did NOT cancel.. did u just lose 3,000 points? the ticket was printed..

according to the AGR site its a philly address now

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleeper tickets must be cancelled before departure or you lose the points. Coach tickets are not subject to this rule and can be refunded up to a year later. You need to call to set up the return of the ticket, though. Don't just mail it without talking to someone first.

Sleeper tickets must be cancelled before departure or you lose the points. Coach tickets are not subject to this rule and can be refunded up to a year later. You need to call to set up the return of the ticket, though. Don't just mail it without talking to someone first.

whew is a non sleep (NE Reg) ticket.. grrrr i'll call but i hate human (esp cust service) interaction lol

Back