On-season/off-season for EB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

racer1735

Service Attendant
I'm looking to book a trip sometime this year on the Empire Builder and was curious what is considered to be 'on-season' for this route? Summer? Winter? Fall? They all seem to have their attractions, but I'm curious as to what the low-bucket fare period and days might be?

I'm looking to book a trip sometime this year on the Empire Builder and was curious what is considered to be 'on-season' for this route? Summer? Winter? Fall? They all seem to have their attractions, but I'm curious as to what the low-bucket fare period and days might be?
I had been researching the same. I think peak season begins on departures from either end as of either 5/18 or 5/19, as 5/17 was the last date I could find a $200 roomette (this was over a week ago, so your mileage may vary now). Beyond that, ALL dates showed $377 for full distance roomette.

Hope this is of some help!

I m riding the EB this coming Sunday. i reserved a roomette last September, and the price then was $190 from Chicago to Seattle. Beyond May I cannot find any $200 prices on the roomettes and this goes through the entire year. What gives? This used to be the most inexpensive route, now it is turning into the most expensive. I thought after Labor Day the price would cut back to $200, but it doesn t seem to be happening this year. It is getting tougher to find lower rates on the sleepers on every route, it seems.

I m riding the EB this coming Sunday. i reserved a roomette last September, and the price then was $190 from Chicago to Seattle. Beyond May I cannot find any $200 prices on the roomettes and this goes through the entire year. What gives? This used to be the most inexpensive route, now it is turning into the most expensive. I thought after Labor Day the price would cut back to $200, but it doesn t seem to be happening this year. It is getting tougher to find lower rates on the sleepers on every route, it seems.
The EB hasn't been the most inexpensive route since the rebranding that gave it the newly refurbished sleepers.

The offpeak time would be between ski season and before colleges let out for summer.

I have had numerous Amtrak employees tell me that the Empire Builder never really goes to the "off-season" fares. It might drop down to the "shoulder" fares (from the "peak"), but, like the majority of the Amtrak routes during the past few seasons, it is becoming more and more busy. This route has never been one of the "empty trains" routes - it has alwasy been popular as far as I can remember.

In some ways, this is what we in the train riding and advocacy community want to happen, though I can understand how this might present some inconvienience for the general public.

Last edited by a moderator:
At $200 for a roomette at least until May the EB is the least expensive Amtrak route. After May that$200 goes up to $377 making it the most expensive route. I checked roomette prices for December 1 from Chicago. to their end point..The Builder is $377, the SW Chief is $278 and the Zephyr is $254. The Texas Eagle is a little over $400 to LA and the Sunset from New Orleans to LA is $229..

Just two years ago you could take the EB from Chicago to Seattle for $152. That price increased to $190 early last year and that was after the upgrade. Wow..more than double the price in less thn two years for a roomette on the EB.

Out of curiosity, I checked the most inexpensive roomette for that hypothetical date December 1 from the beginning to the end point and the City of New Oleans showed an $89 price...of course that is one night and all the others are two and 421, the Eagle is a three night trip. By booking on #21 and #1 from Chicago to LA and getting off the train in San Antonio and reboarding several hours later in the middle of he night the price drops to $177 and $133 for 21 and 1

I ve always found Amtraks aleeper pricing fascinating. Three years ago I booked The Eagle from Chicago to LA..straight through for $166,,,,and $200 that same year for a trip on #1 the Sunsetfrom Jacksonville to LA...both three nights.

The price can vary depending upon when and where and for what distance you're traveling. For example, the trip I'm on right now, the Capitol was running about $ 150 some odd for one night, while the Silver service was at $389 per night.

I am hoping to book a roundtrip from Chicago to the Izaak Walton Inn sometime between mid-September and late October. Was hoping to find a 'slow stretch' during that time.

I just upgraded to a sleeper on the cap limited from Was to Chi for $114. In the pass I've paid as much as $277. I also have the sleeper from Chi to Was for $114 as well. Are these both dinner and breakfast trains? I also upgraded to the sleeper on the EB for $192 to Wfh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back