onboard upgrade from AGR tickets?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bonus points from the AGR Mastercard offer just posted, so I bought a coach ticket from CBS to SEA on the Empire Builder. I got the 8000 bonus points deal, and couldn't be happier about getting to ride the EB to the end of the line for free! I will be traveling on April 27th and am already excited.

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is spending almost two full days in coach. I'm hoping to score an onboard upgrade to a Roomette. Will there be any problems upgrading a seat that I bought with AGR points? (Unless another crazy bonus point thing comes along, I won't be able to upgrade from points, so I would be upgrading with cash or credit card.)

Another question - is it insane to expect an onboard upgrade on the EB in late April, especially since I'm not boarding in CHI? I'm hoping that leaving on a Monday will increase my chances, but if it's very heavily traveled by vacationers I doubt the day of week will make much difference.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Welcome!

Although I haven't personally tried it, I'm told that it is possible (assuming space is available) to do an onboard upgrade from an AGR award ticket! And AFAIK, you need to use a credit card. Also since conductors change every few hours, if you ask one and (s)he says "No", but you know there are rooms available, if you ask the next conductor (s)he may say "Yes"! (Some don't want to be "bothered doing the extra work".)

Also remember that an upgrade may be available for 1 of the 2 nights.

Back