One more dumb question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am traveling via coach, will there be an electrical outlet that I can use for my laptop and cell phone charger?

thanks again.

It depends on which coach car. Plus, you didn't mentioned on which train are you taking.
Very few Superliner coach cars has outlet for each seat.
Service: 28 Empire Builder from portland to chicago... and chicago to Erie in the Service: 48 Lake Shore Limited

iss there a place to veiw information on these cars?

Service: 28 Empire Builder from portland to chicago... and chicago to Erie in the Service: 48 Lake Shore Limited
iss there a place to veiw information on these cars?
The Empire Builder is a Superliner (2 levels) while the Lake Shore Limited is an Amfleet (single level). On my numerous trains of both types over the summer, I have found very few cars that do not have at seat power in coach.

I'd guess that you would have a 75-80% chance (or higher) of finding one! In a sleeper, the chances are 100% - all rooms have them!

There is no place that I know of that you can find this information. Besides, the specific cars can change every day.

First: There are no dumb questions, so ask away! That's what we're here for.

There is nowhere to find that specific information, because the cars are getting outlets added as they are refurbished - there's no telling whether an old or new car will be put on your train on that specific day. That said, I think that your chances are pretty good on the Empire Builder - that's considered one of Amtrak's "premium" trains, and I recall someone that rides that train regularly saying that outlets were plentiful.

If you end up with a car that doesn't have outlets at the seat, you can go to the lounge car and there are some outlets that can be used there. Bring a power strip so that the outlet can be shared by many, and you'll be a hero.

As far as general information on the cars, someone here created a google street-view style 3d photograph thing of the inside of some superliner cars. It's wicked cool and will give you a good idea what to expect. I can't find the link, but hopefully someone will come along and know what I'm talking about and post a link.

A power strip is good or bring one of those little "3 outlet taps" - that way you can share the outlet with your seat mate if there is only one outlet at your seat. Also, check to make sure the outlet works. I was on a regional train last month and while there were two outlets, one was completely inoperable with a piece of metal stuck in one of the slots. Probably a safety hazard, too!

I just traveled the LSL from Cleveland to Boston in coach and I think all the seats had power outlets in our coach.

It has seemed to me like they typically give the long haul coach passengers the refurbished cars. You should be good if that holds true, but there are some overzealous coach attendants out there that don't give a crap about the customer.

My last time on the Sunset Limited only one of the coach cars had power outlets. That's my only experience in long distance coach.

I think you are very likely to find outlets on the LSL but the Empire Builder will be a bit more iffy. I don't ride alot of superliner trains (and I'm happy for that) but I don't think I've ever had an outlet in coach on that train.

We just returned from a trip on the Southwest Chief. The outlets in coach were plentiful, nearly one for every seat.

The sightseer lounge was an entirely different story, Only downstairs had them.

thanks again everyone, great feed back.

so, I was thinking of upgrading my seat to business class, as it is only like $14 more. I think I will have better luck that way. I need my gadgetry. :)

thanks again everyone, great feed back.
so, I was thinking of upgrading my seat to business class, as it is only like $14 more. I think I will have better luck that way. I need my gadgetry. :)
On the two trains that you've mentioned, the Empire Builder and the Lake Shore, there is no business class seating. Typically only short haul/corridor trains have business class seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back