One zone and one redemption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have enough points for coach for one zone by the time I travel in April. With this I will only have to purchase a 15 day rail pass rather than a 30 day. But I want to make sure, if I travel from WOR to NYP, stay over night and then travel NYP to ORL. if that is allowed in one redemption. I read that as long as the connection is under 23 hours and change, that it is allowed.

Am I correct in this?

Edited to clarify: I will be continuing on with a rail pass from ORL traveling out west and then home to WOR.

Last edited by a moderator:
No.

There's not a published route from WOR to ORL, so any business about overnight stays doesn't matter. The AGR rules say travel can only be on published routes. If there's no published route between two cities, you have to build your own package on multiple published routes using multiple redemptions. That's not to say you wouldn't find an agent who would do it for you, but it's against the rules as written.

After re-reading your OP, I'm confused. You posted the question to the AGR sub-forum, you mentioned "redemption" but you also stated it would be a rail pass. You redeem segments (trains) with a rail pass. (WOR-BOS, BOS-NYP/WAS and NYP/WAS to FL for 3 segments or WOR-SPG, SPG-NHV, NHV-NYP/WAS and NYP/WAS-FL for 4 segments.)

So is this an AGR award redemption or a rail pass use? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
So you want to travel in one zone with a coach AGR redemption from WOR - ORL?

I don't believe that is allowed. There are NO published routes from WOR - ORL. Just go to www.amtrak.com and pop in those two cities. Nothing comes up.

In which case you will have to buy WOR - NYP and then take your redemption from NYP - ORL.

Or you can travel via MBTA to BOS and redeem BOS -ORL on one redemption.

Or take a bus to Springfield and do SPG - ORL on one redemption.

Thanks, I was hoping there was something that could be done from WOR. I will figure something out. What I may do is pay out to Albany on the LSL, then stay over night and then use the AGR points from there to ORL. Then my rail pass would start from ORL for the rest of my trip, down to Miami then over to Portland the longest way possible.

Another potential option is to request a published route be added to Arrow.
That might be a plan. There should be routes from every major city on the routes. It amazes me that you can't get there from here, Worcester is so close, but yet so far away. You would think that it would be included in some Northeast Regional line, even if only once a day or three times a week or something like that. The trip that includes Springfield, not sure why it could not include Worcester seeings how it is only one stop on the line before Springfield.

I believe it's being discussed somewhere else, but there are plans in the works to bring a train or two back to the "Inland Route" after upgrades are complete between SPG and BOS to increase speeds. There is such a huge disparity in the times presently between the Shoreline Route and the Inland Route that it didn't make business sense to keep running the Inland Route. Not to mention Amtrak doesn't have to pay anyone to run Inland and has full control of the trains...

Back