One Zone Reward Trips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
Now that our "Loopholes" have become much more costly in Points, I have been exploring for nice 1 Zone trips and found I actually have one right in my backyard-Norman to New Orleans via Chicago. It's 3 days and 2 nights for 15,000 Points Roomette, which isn't a bad deal, considering I don't have to long haul to the starting point.

What are some other good long haul 1 Zones you have discovered?

sounds good. our best 1 zone redemption has been spokane to albuquerque. overnight trip spk-pdx. cs pdx-lax. overnight hotel in la then lax to abq. i guess that's 3 nights and 2.5 days. we have done it 3 times and are going again next january.

sounds good. our best 1 zone redemption has been spokane to albuquerque. overnight trip spk-pdx. cs pdx-lax. overnight hotel in la then lax to abq. i guess that's 3 nights and 2.5 days. we have done it 3 times and are going again next january.
How did you get AGR to agree to a hotel stay, and still allow a one-zone trip?

they haven't had a problem and have explained that since the next train out to abq leaves the evening after we arrive in lax that, as long as we pay for the ovenight lodging in la, it is all a 1-zone trip.

:hi: Im surprised also, thought they make you go on a Cal Tran through the desert/Am bus and catch the SWC in LAX! This sounds like the New Orleans "loophole" which I thought was the only one like this left where you have to spend the night on your dime, catch the next mornings train! Ill certainly try it myself when I book my next NW AGR trip! Thanks! ;)

thought they make you go on a Cal Tran through the desert/Am bus and catch the SWC in LAX!
The SJ is Amtrak, not Cal Tran!
rolleyes.gif

Gives me an idea for my next trip!
ph34r.gif

I think we're mixing up Caltrans (California Department of Transportation) and Caltrain. One could say that Caltrans, in conjunction with Amtrak, "runs" the San Joaquins (and other California corridor trains), or at least subsidizes them. Caltrain, on the other hand, is the San Francisco-San Jose-Gilroy commuter rail service.

Just wondering.... Can you go from Wolf Point to Denver with a one zone reward via Portland and Sacramento?
Why not? There's no more direct way of traveling between the two cities. Before the new dispensation I managed a one-zone award DEN-SAC-PDX-MSP.

I'm still impressed at Yarrow's swinging the overnight in LA. I've never managed to sweet-talk an AGR agent into letting me spend the night in Chicago while traveling on two western trains. Lord knows I've tried.

Since this thread has been reopened, I'll add my 2 cents worth!
smile.gif

I booked a 1 zone award for ELP to WPT via LAX and PDX for later this year! In conjunction with 2 zone awards from the east coast to ELP, and from WPT back to the east coast, I'm doing a round trip coast to coast in a Roomette for 55K (less the 5% rebate for the AGR credit card)!
cool.gif

Is NOL to DEN (via Chicago) a one zone trip? Looks to me like it should be. Currently have NOL to KCY booked, bedroom, thinking of doing to NOL to DEN (see friends and then fly back to MCI) if it is a one zone a bedroom redeption would be incredible value per point.

Darn, for the first time, it's a disadvantage to be in the middle near Chicago?

Anyone have any long trip suggestions West from Chicago or Milwaukee for a multi-day one zone trip?

I just paid my state sales tax with the AGR card and that should put me over 15,000 points. I'm enjoying this points collecting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any long trip suggestions West from Chicago or Milwaukee for a multi-day one zone trip?

I just paid my state sales tax with the AGR card and that should put me over 15,000 points. I'm enjoying this points collecting!
Think about the Texas Eagle (#421) from CHI-ELP, it will be a 2 and 1/2 Day/2 Night, 1 Zone Award trip in a Roomette for 15,000 Points (Minus 5%Rebate of 750 Points for a AGR Chase MC). El Paso isnt the Garden Spot of America,but the Trip is Interesting and youll also have 5 Meals for 2 People if You make this Run! Snag a Cheap Deal on a Hotel via one of the Travel Sights (Kayak Works for me!)but in all Honesty don't plan on Crossing the Border to Juarez, it's beyond Dangerous while El Paso is one of the safest cities in North America! :rolleyes:

You could return VIA the Sunset Ltd. to New Orleans, Spend a Night and Ride the City of New Orleans back to CHI, one of the Better deals for Sleepers most Days! Use amsnag.net and check it out!

Think about the Texas Eagle (#421) from CHI-ELP, it will be a 2 and 1/2 Day/2 Night, 1 Zone Award trip in a Roomette for 15,000 Points (Minus 5%Rebate of 750 Points for a AGR Chase MC). El Paso isnt the Garden Spot of America,but the Trip is Interesting and youll also have 5 Meals for 2 People if You make this Run! Snag a Cheap Deal on a Hotel via one of the Travel Sights (Kayak Works for me!)but in all Honesty don't plan on Crossing the Border to Juarez, it's beyond Dangerous while El Paso is one of the safest cities in North America! :rolleyes:

You could return VIA the Sunset Ltd. to New Orleans, Spend a Night and Ride the City of New Orleans back to CHI, one of the Better deals for Sleepers most Days! Use amsnag.net and check it out!
Thanks, and I might as well add, it's a one way trip. Buy a car and drive back. At least that's the plot of this crazy story? And old car minus the salt and rust and adventure. I don't think that includes crossing the border, I'd agree.

Is Jacksonville all the way to Boston really only 1 zone? I can't believe that's possible...

Guest David:

The catch is that when you have an overnight layover (except in New Orleans for some unknown reason), the AGR award ends. You have to do another redemption to keep going! Even if it's all one zone, it may be more than one AGR redemption. Or at least that's the way I understand it.

Someone please correct if I'm wrong. (I'm sure hoping I am. LOL)

I have not checked the trip you mentioned, but I think there would probably be at least an overnight layover somewhere in that trip. If not, that's a whopping 1-zone award!

Edited to add: After reading traveler's reply, maybe you can!! Wow....

I have been living in CA and traveling to Boston for years, but recently moved to FL and will continue going to Boston. Looking forward to seeing how much further my miles go (if they do!)

Back