Online vs Agent Fare Differences

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rogers55

Service Attendant
Just bought tickets for a September trip SDY to VNC via CHI and PDX.

I checked on line first and then called Amtrak reservations, mainly because I am new at this and wanted a second opinion on my planning.

After a little misunderstanding about what month we were talking about she made my reservations for roomettes on the Lakeshore Limited, Empire Builder and Coast Starlight.

SURPRISE, the cost was $318 less than on the web site.

That may not mean much to some people, only 4 fillups for my car's gas tank, but it certainly helps me justify the expense to my fellow traveler.

She understands bargain very well.

Is this kind of difference normal?

The Amtrak on hold recording would lead me to believe that the cheaper fares were online.

Regards,

Roger

While I do all my booking online, I've never really heard of that kind of a fare difference. IIRC, the fares on the phone and online should be exactly the same, except for Amtrak's Hot Deals page, which is only available on the website. Are you sure the booking was for the exact dates and trains? Did you try double checking the fare online after purchase?

Just bought tickets for a September trip SDY to VNC via CHI and PDX.I checked on line first and then called Amtrak reservations, mainly because I am new at this and wanted a second opinion on my planning.

After a little misunderstanding about what month we were talking about she made my reservations for roomettes on the Lakeshore Limited, Empire Builder and Coast Starlight.

SURPRISE, the cost was $318 less than on the web site.

That may not mean much to some people, only 4 fillups for my car's gas tank, but it certainly helps me justify the expense to my fellow traveler.

She understands bargain very well.

Is this kind of difference normal?

The Amtrak on hold recording would lead me to believe that the cheaper fares were online.

Regards,

Roger

I'm a newbie too! Idid the same routine but called back several times & ended up saving a considerable amount!!!!

:) :p

I did not check back online after booking but I did screen print the schedule and the fare online. The trains are the same.

After picking up my tickets I will know for sure.

Here's one thing that may (I don't know if it did) have happened:

When you checked on line, you were (of course) given the current prices for all segments. That included the EB which was in bucket #4. Between the time that you checked online and when the agent checked, someone who made a reservation 3 months ago while it the EB segment was in bucket #1 cancelled their trip - and the room went back in the available inventory! When the agent checked, that room was available - at the bucket #1 fare! B)

You bought it - and got the bucket #1 fare! B)

The next person who wants a room on that train will pay the current fare - which happens to be in bucket #4!

Sometimes you luck out that way. Of course, the opposite could happen also. You check and find a fare in bucket #2, but by the time you reserve, they are sold, and the price you get is in bucket #3! :(

Julie always tells me, that a lower fare might be available online.

Please don't tell me, that the love of my life is deceiving me. :wub:

... my reservations for roomettes on the Lakeshore Limited, Empire Builder and Coast Starlight.SURPRISE, the cost was $318 less than on the web site.
Another thought...

When working with the online system, did you actually complete the accommodation selection process? Online, you can't just add the rail fare given to the accommodation fee given. That's because if you actually go ahead and select an upgrade, you always pay the lowest bucket price for the rail fair, even if there are no lowest bucket seats still available.

Mystery solved.

When my e-mail confirmation arrived it showed coach on one segment instead of roomette.

I called reservations right back and they were happy to take more of my money.

Lesson learned, triple check everything and read it back to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back