Opt for Metro or Regional to complete this journey

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jannie

Train Attendant
Capitol Limited - Chi to ALX. Reservations in Place However, find that hotel only picks up at the Eisenhower Metro Station (yes, can taxi from Amtrak to Hotel -would run about $15.00) wonder what options? Should I cancel my regional leg and at Washington DC take a commuter train to Eisenhower station? Or leave the regional leg and just transfer to a commuter train that goes to Eisenhower? There will be luggage, (It will be about 4 p.m. EDT,. When Train reservations made didn't reaize hotel shuttle didn't pick up at this (Amtrak) station only Eisenhower station.

Thanks

I would probably take the Metro from Alexandria to Eisenhower. It's only one stop down, so the cost wouldn't be too expensive ($2.15) but at 4 PM my guess is that the trains will be full, so it'll be easier to find space further down the line where people have gotten off, and it'd only be one stop and not require a transfer on the Metro. (Taking the Metro from Union Station would require a transfer, as would using a commuter rail service such as VRE.)

Last edited by a moderator:
However, in ALX even though Amtrak and Metro are right next to each other, to get to Metro:

1) You exit the Amtrak station,

2) You walk down the hill,

3) You cross under the Amtrak tracks (bridge),

4) You cross under the Metro tracks (bridge),

5) You enter the Metro station.

Total walk may be 1/2 mile. Depending on the amount of luggage, this may or may not be an option.

However, in ALX even though Amtrak and Metro are right next to each other, to get to Metro:

Total walk may be 1/2 mile. Depending on the amount of luggage, this may or may not be an option.
I have walked between the Alexandria Amtrak/VRE station and the Metro King St station a number of times and the total distance is probably 1/4 mile or so. It is not that difficult a connection, but can be cumbersome if one has luggage in tow.

If I was arriving at DC Union Station on the CL and my final destination was the Eisenhower Ave Metro station, I wouldn't even consider bothering with taking an expensive Regional on a short trip to Alexandria with a layover at WAS. Much simpler to take the Metro from Union Station, provided one has only one or two pieces of luggage. The DC Metro has elevators and escalators at each station, so it is not difficult to travel on Metro with luggage. The north entrance to the Union Station Metro is a short walk from the Amtrak gates. Buy a Smartrip card at any of the vending machines and put enough on it for the trip to Eisenhower Ave stop ($3.15 off-peak, $4 peak).

From Union Station, take the Red Line to Gallery Place. Then go down to the center platform for the Yellow & Green lines and take the next Yellow Line train to Huntington, getting off at Eisenhower. The caveat is the Metro Safetrack work blitz; there might be single tracking for either the Red or Yellow line which will result in fewer trains per hour, but the trains should be running during normal CL arrival times.

Seems like since I'll just have a rolling bag & small carry one - it might make more sense to get off at Union Station (Washington DC) and get the Metro to Eisenhower Station. Almost seems like the return route would work better the same way, Metro at Eisenhower to the Union Station in Washington DC and then the CL (Returning trip will be on a Sunday so I'm not worried about crowds on the Metro.

Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back