Orange Blossom Special

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The center lift span mentioned above is also visible, the narrow tower at center in the distance above the diesels. And the Roosevelt Road viewpoint is also where the basic basule is located. If you have a thing for bridges, as I do, Chicago is great.
The Charles River (which separates Charlestown and Cambridge from Boston, and continues upstream a ways through various other municipalities) also has a pretty good collection of bridges.

Of particular note, the Harvard Bridge is 364.4 smoots ± one ear long, the Longfellow bridge carries Red Line trains, automoboiles, and pedestrians, and the Lechmere Viaduct carries the Green Line.

(Hmm, and Wikipedia has no articles about the stuff across the Charles in the vinicity of Moody Street in Waltham. There's a decent chance I already have digital photos of a lot of that if I get organized enough to add them to Wikipedia.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Patrick, many,many thanks for bringing this fine old train name to the forefront for us. It was never streamlined but it did maintain a high level. high quality service, sort of like certain very old hotels.
What is it with this tune that makes me wanna ride a train? Here's another version. The video kinda bites, but the audio is way solid. That first thing you see is a guy at a pedal steel guitar, a staple instrument of country-western music. You can forget it, though, cuz Orange Blossom Special is first and foremost a fiddle tune.

Bill Monroe version lyrics:

Comin' right on down the line now

Look yonder comin'

Comin' down the railroad track

Look yonder comin'

Comin' down the railroad track

It's the orange blossom special

Bring my baby back

Yeah bring er' right on home now

Ring the bell Bill ring the bell

(fiddle)

Comin' right on down the line now

Pullin' up a heavy grave

Hey Bill where ya gonna get off this train at

Down at about Atlanta Georgia

Where you gettin' off at

Down at Nashville Tennessee

Where you goin' cousin Rofferd

I'm goin' to Burmingham Alabamey

What for

Ain't no ham like Burmingham

Gene where you gettin' off at

Oh I'm Texas bound

(fiddle)

(The guy in yellow on the right is Buck Owens)

Back