Orienting to Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roxanne

I like to orient myself whenever possible to a new train station. After looking at a concourse diagram I have a question. When arriving via south concourse, do we enter station through the numbered gates, or go around to the side somewhere? In looking at a youtube video of a walk-through it is confusing.

I like to orient myself whenever possible to a new train station. After looking at a concourse diagram I have a question. When arriving via south concourse, do we enter station through the numbered gates, or go around to the side somewhere? In looking at a youtube video of a walk-through it is confusing.
The south entrance has even numbered gates. You enter right through the gates and may have to turn, after coming through the gate, to get to the aisle to the main area.

map_concourse.jpg

Chicago Union Station is a very confusing one for me to walk around with an exception of Great Hall. Only Amtrak Empire Builder and Hiwatha use the north concourse (going northbound), along with several Metra commuter trains.

It depends on the train. Some have you enter through the gates; some have you enter from the right side (near the "Chicago River" part of the diagram). Either way, the waiting area will be across from the gates, but you have to go through a door near the left side of the waiting area to get to it. You can't use the doors facing the gates because those are for departures only. Just follow the signs to the waiting area. It's pretty clear once you're actually there. You can also follow the herd of people. ;) You'll see security standing in that area too.

If you continue walking to the left side of the gates, you'll see escalators. Those go to the Food Court and a magazine/tourist shop. If you skip the escalators and continue walking past the gates, you'll go up a ramp and find yourself near baggage claim. Keep walking, and you'll see the entrance to the Great Hall on your left. There are more food/magazine options here, and it's a really pretty area. Turn right, and you'll go back downstairs to ticketing and the waiting area.

Union Station has a lot of signs. It's pretty easy to get around once you realize it's just a big oval path from gates to Great Hall back to the waiting area. The only time I ever go upstairs is for the food court.

The south entrance has even numbered gates. You enter right through the gates and may have to turn, after coming through the gate, to get to the aisle to the main area.

map_concourse.jpg
Never been to Chicago Union Station, so a slightly unrelated question based on this diagram- the tracks at the north concourse and the ones at the south concourse are all terminating tracks or they run through the station like NY Penn and Phila? Also, I see something that looks like a through track on the right just by the river, is that really a working through track? Who uses it?

map_concourse.jpg
Never been to Chicago Union Station, so a slightly unrelated question based on this diagram- the tracks at the north concourse and the ones at the south concourse are all terminating tracks or they run through the station like NY Penn and Phila? Also, I see something that looks like a through track on the right just by the river, is that really a working through track? Who uses it?
The far right track (actually there are two of them) is a run through and it is how they get the EB consist from the Amtrak yards south of the station to the north boarding area. Metra can also move their north side equipment to their south side repair area, too. No through trains use it. Only used for movement before and after departure.

Metra's Milwaukee district shops are actually at Western Avenue, which is north/west of Union Station. The Heritage Corridor trains are also serviced at Western. The shops to the south of Union Station service the BNSF trains (I'm not sure if those are staffed by Metra or BNSF employees).

Metra's Milwaukee district shops are actually at Western Avenue, which is north/west of Union Station. The Heritage Corridor trains are also serviced at Western. The shops to the south of Union Station service the BNSF trains (I'm not sure if those are staffed by Metra or BNSF employees).
Must be why I have never seen a Metra on those tracks, then.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Western Ave. is also the first METRA station stop on the Milwaukee District and where the two lines diverge (one to Fox Lake and the other to Geneva). I believe Amtrak follows the Fox Lake line at least through Glenview (it's 1st stop), but I'm not sure if/where it diverges on the Fox Lake line to get to Milwaukee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Western Ave. is also the first METRA station stop on the Milwaukee District and where the two lines diverge (one to Fox Lake and the other to Geneva). I believe Amtrak follows the Fox Lake line at least through Glenview (it's 1st stop), but I'm not sure if/where it diverges on the Fox Lake line to get to Milwaukee.
Well, sort of. The MD lines diverge at MP 5.4, Pacific Junction, which is west of the Western Ave stop. There at Tower A5 the MD-N (Fox Lake) line is straight ahead (north) while the MD-W (Elgin, Big Timber) line curves to the left (west). The EB follows the MD-N.

The line that goes out to Geneva is actually the UP-W and it crosses the MD lines at Tower A2, just east of the Western Ave stop.

(Sorry for being nitpicky, this is basically my backyard.)

-While METRA sightings on the through tracks is infrequent they dow use them.

-I'm 99% sure the BNSF shop that handles the METRA equipment is staffed with BNSF employees.

As PPs mentioned, the tracks terminate (except for those two on the far side). Here is a picture of one of the north concourse gates from inside the station.

Union_5.jpg

biggrin.gif
(I could have clarified in my earlier note that the Heritage corridor is a south side train that is serviced at Western, so those three trips per day do, in fact, use the through track on the east side of the station; if you catch them deadheading after their morning trip or before the afternoon trip, you might do a double-take at seeing a Metra consist that's "backwards" from all of the other north-side trains - engine on the south end, cab cars facing north)

As for the Fox Lake line, it diverges from the C & M sub (Hiawatha route) at Rondout, which is a few miles past the Lake Forest stop.

Where do North Central Service and Southwest Service trains get serviced?
Pretty sure it's METRA's Western Ave yard in both cases.
Oh, wow! It's hard to comprehend how alll those Metra trains you see from Roosevelt Road are all for the BNSF Line! Guess that proves that line is the most popular!

Well, sort of. The MD lines diverge at MP 5.4, Pacific Junction, which is west of the Western Ave stop. There at Tower A5 the MD-N (Fox Lake) line is straight ahead (north) while the MD-W (Elgin, Big Timber) line curves to the left (west). The EB follows the MD-N.

The line that goes out to Geneva is actually the UP-W and it crosses the MD lines at Tower A2, just east of the Western Ave stop.

(Sorry for being nitpicky, this is basically my backyard.)
Not at all! Absolutely MY BAD! Of course, it's the Elgin Line! Confused it with original CNW West line to Geneva. Totally embarrassed! :blush: :blush: :blush:

I see also that the "Hermosa" station on the MD-W line closed in 2006. That's why I couldn't find it on the Google Maps I just searched for the last 1/2hr to "refresh" my memory. :) What happened with that???

As PPs mentioned, the tracks terminate (except for those two on the far side). Here is a picture of one of the south concourse gates from inside the station.

Union_5.jpg
This is actually the north concourse. Odd numbers north, even numbers south.

This is actually the north concourse. Odd numbers north, even numbers south.
Oh, duh. I'll fix it. I've only been to Union Station a million times. You think I'd have caught that.

Great picture, Sorcha! Thanks for posting. Have you sent that to Amtrak?
Not my picture. :p That was a quick GIS grab.

I miiiiight have a picture of the south concourse somewhere. I'll have to look when I get home. I know I have a bunch of the Great Hall, the waiting room, ticketing, the food court... you'd think I'd have at least a couple of the gates.

Not at all! Absolutely MY BAD! Of course, it's the Elgin Line! Confused it with original CNW West line to Geneva. Totally embarrassed! :blush: :blush: :blush:

I see also that the "Hermosa" station on the MD-W line closed in 2006. That's why I couldn't find it on the Google Maps I just searched for the last 1/2hr to "refresh" my memory. :) What happened with that???
Hermosa met it's demise when the new Grand Ave station opened in late 2006.

-Thanks for the correction MikefromCrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back