ORL or KIS as a turnaround for lunch?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am making a same day turn on the Silver Service, Star down and Meteor back, but I cannot decide on which station. I will be there for lunch, I need suggestions on which is better for finding lunch within a very short walking distance or short taxi ride.

Actually, there is nothing nearby in Orlando, and Kissimmee has too short of a turn around in my opinion. My wholehearted opinion is to visit PennyK in Winter Park. There are dozens of little botique dining establishments and such - all within walking distance of the station. And if you're lucky, you may find a festival of some sorts going on.

I live in Orlando and I agree that there is nothing worthwhile to eat near the Orlando station. I often make points runs from Orlando to Kissimmee and back. There is a very cute cafe virtually across the street from the KIS station. If the Star was running very late, I would would cancel my entire trip, but that has not happened yet.

I do agree that the best selection of restaurants is Winter Park. The station is located next to a beautiful park. On the other side of the park is Park Avenue which is lined for many blocks with high end stores, high end restaurants, reasonably priced stores and reasonably priced restaurants. The Winter Park station probably has one of the most scenic settings in the country. Within the next month or so, the new Winter Park station will be opening. The Winter Park Art Festival is in March. I am not sure of which weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). BTW, Sir Paul McCartney recently purchased a "home" in Winter Park and he has been seen (not by me) at various eating establishments on Park Avenue.

Well, now I want to move to Winter Park. Penny, you should work for their tourism board. :)

Well, now I want to move to Winter Park. Penny, you should work for their tourism board. :)
Thanks Sarah. A friend of mine is the President of the Winter Park Chamber of Commerce. Next time I see him, I will ask for a job. :lol:

The down side of living in Winter Park..... it is expensive. But it is truly lovely

Thanks Sarah. A friend of mine is the President of the Winter Park Chamber of Commerce. Next time I see him, I will ask for a job. :lol:

The down side of living in Winter Park..... it is expensive. But it is truly lovely
Maybe you can open a Yoga Studio next to the station - riders can "relax" while waiting for their train. :D

I just remembered I went to claims school with some ladies from Winter Park. They had nothing but wonderful things to say about it. :) The first thing I asked them was, "How long does it take to get to Disney?"

Maybe you can open a Yoga Studio next to the station - riders can "relax" while waiting for their train. :D
One of my yoga classmates offers free yoga classes in the park across the tracks.

Often, there are free yoga classes in the park. I went to a very large outdoor yoga class in the park several years ago. During savasana (relaxation at the end of class), the southbound Silver Star came into the station. I think I was the only person in the class to sit up and watch the train, rather than relax. (watching a train is relaxing for me) :)

So where did Penny take a couple of her AU Friends to Lunch when they visited Orlando on the "Short way" to Chicago for the Gathering last Fall? Wendy's in Orlando! :lol:
Time was short, and it really was not lunch since we ate lunch on the northbound Silver Meteor. You and Dave had "drinks" at Wendy's, which is less than a mile from the station.

If the Star is on time, it is scheduled to arrive in Kissimmee at 10:55 am and the Meteor is scheduled at 12:45p, This is a 2 hour window, if the star is running late, then I would just wait in the station and eat on the train.

If the Star is on time, it is scheduled to arrive in Kissimmee at 10:55 am and the Meteor is scheduled at 12:45p, This is a 2 hour window, if the star is running late, then I would just wait in the station and eat on the train.
The several times that I have done the points run from ORL to KIS, the Star was never real late. The Meteor was more often late. I always had time to spare after eating lunch and walking around.

When are you going? It can get warm sitting out and waiting for the train in KIS. The KIS station is pretty small with limited seating, however, I assume if you came in with a cane, someone would give your their seat (at least I hope so).

So where did Penny take a couple of her AU Friends to Lunch when they visited Orlando on the "Short way" to Chicago for the Gathering last Fall? Wendy's in Orlando! :lol:
Time was short, and it really was not lunch since we ate lunch on the northbound Silver Meteor. You and Dave had "drinks" at Wendy's, which is less than a mile from the station.
And where did a certain Floridian hold the FL-mini and complain about "the cold" (59° :giggle: )? I had "drinks" there also! (hic!)

The several times that I have done the points run from ORL to KIS, the Star was never real late. The Meteor was more often late. I always had time to spare after eating lunch and walking around.

When are you going? It can get warm sitting out and waiting for the train in KIS. The KIS station is pretty small with limited seating, however, I assume if you came in with a cane, someone would give your their seat (at least I hope so).
First week of April. I am sure someone will let me sit if there are no seats. I have stupid bills to pay or I would have stayed a couple days, but having this turn around, at least I get to see the area and add the Silvers to my list of LD trains. After the April trip, the only LDs I will not have are those to NOL. I am hoping to do them in October. At least I think that is all. I am doing the SWC which is the only western LD I have not done, both Silvers, and the CL if it is considered a LD train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back