Orlando to Boston roundtrip at Christmas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angela1117

Train Attendant
So glad I found this board! I've been reading for the last couple of days and learning so much.

I grew up in New Jersey so took the train to Philadelphia and New York City a lot.

In my college years I used the train between DC and Trenton and to Orlando twice but just in coach.

Fast forward 30 years and we're going from Orlando to Boston this year for Christmas to spend Christmas with our son who moved up there last year.

We've booked 2 roomettes for my husband and I and our daughter.

Some questions/comments:

I feel like rooms across the hall from each other would be good so we can check out the scenery from either side.

For those of you who've done this trip how much time did you really spend in your roomette? I'm guessing the lounge/bar car would be more fun for playing cards or meeting other travelers.

What happens if our train is late and we miss the connection in New York?

I"m sure I'll have more questions but hey, there's plenty of time before we leave! LOL

Thanks for any comments, suggestions you may have.

Angela

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

As to time spent in the Roomette, it is all a matter of personal outlook. I imagine that you will enjoy the communal aspect of the trip, mixing with others, etc, but have the knowledge that you have your room for privacy, if you fancy a snooze or "time out".

My understanding of the connection issue is that if you have "booked" through from Orlando to Boston on "one ticket, a guaranteed connection showing up on the Amtrak website", then Amtrak will take responsibility for getting you to Boston, either on a later train, or a train next day.

Happy Xmas!

Ed :cool:

Welcome to AU, Angela!

I wouldn't worry at all about your connection. If you are ticketed on 98 on your 1st leg to Boston, then your connection is probably at New York. 98 is due into New York-Penn Station at shortly after 11:00am. The standard connecting train from 98 at NY-Penn is #174 and it isn't due to depart until around 2:00pm. You should have plenty of time even if 98 is running late.

Welcome to AU. Please feel free to ask questions. There is a wealth of knowledge

of Amtrak and train travel in general.

Roomettes 1 and 2 are across the aisle from each other in the Viewliner sleeper.

You can spend time in the lounge car as you like. You will be in the diner for meals.

I would not be concerned if you miss your connecting train, there are many trains

from New York to Boston departing after 11:00am - just ask our Pennyk who

experienced that connection in January.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

A note of advice, you should not post your car/room #'s for safety reasons as AU is a public/open forum. I suspect a mod will edit your post for you if you are unable to.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the advice AmtrakBlue

Yes, if a moderator could please fix that for me I would be grateful.

Welcome to AU, Angela!
I wouldn't worry at all about your connection. If you are ticketed on 98 on your 1st leg to Boston, then your connection is probably at New York. 98 is due into New York-Penn Station at shortly after 11:00am. The standard connecting train from 98 at NY-Penn is #174 and it isn't due to depart until around 2:00pm. You should have plenty of time even if 98 is running late.
Except I was booked on that exact routing the Tuesday before Thanskgiving and only made the connection because 174 was also late - and the remainder of the trains north were sold out that day.

As long as you are booked on that guaranteed connection, though, it is amtrak's job to get you to Boston. I wouldn't worry too much about it. 98 is actually generally on time, I think my day was a fluke.

Thanks for all your responses. Will have to check on the guaranteed language when I get home and can look on my computer

One of the reasons we booked so early was because of the holiday time frame. It looks like the price on our return trip has already gone up.

Roomettes across from one another works great. We've used that. It allows you to communicate easily and, it does indeed, give you views out of both ends if and when you leave the curtains open.

You do realize that in a roomette, the toilet is in the room so there is no privacy from the other person when using it unless they leave the room. With the roomettes across from each other, it is convenient for the other person to sit with your daughter when you want privacy. Depending on where your car is, you may have to walk through one or more sleepers plus the dining car to get to the lounge so having the room across is a help.

Bottled water, coffee and juice are complimentary when you get them from your car attendant.

The shower is down the hall.

Remember, as a sleeper occupant, your meals, including dessert, are included at no extra cost in the diner. With 3 people, you would not likely be seated with others since there are only 4 to a table. If your daughter is willing, you might go as 2 and 1 in the hopes of being seated with others. I have never had a bad a bad seatmate. It is a better opportunity to meet with others than is the lounge/cafe which is often occupied by young people on their computers or watching movies on their iPads.

Please search this forum for recommended tipping both in the diner and your sleeping car attendant.

Welcome. I live in Orlando and last month I traveled to Boston. On the same ticket, I was routed on 98 to NYP then on the 1pm Acela to BOS (I do not remember the number). Train 98 started out late from Miami and got later due to SunRail construction and then it lost time overnight. It was obvious that I was not going to make my connection in NYP. I was not the only one on the train with the same problem. The conductor was aware of the problem and either he or the train attendants spoke with each affected passenger. I was supposed to be traveling on the Acela with AlanB and Shanghai. I was in constant contact with them via text and I took their advice when it was obvious that I was unable to make my train. I phoned Amtrak and was able to change my reservation to the next Acela, which was 2 hours later - I was also able to secure one of the last first class seats. (98 ended up being 3 hours late). I was very disappointed because I had no idea where I was to go once I got to Boston and had planned on AlanB pointing me in the right direction. Just in case you do not know yet, AlanB is a very kind and caring person. He, Grace and Shanghai met my train at BBY (where I de-trained, per their instructions) and we all went out to dinner. I did not get lost (which sometimes happens to me - LOL).

Sorry for making a short story very long, but the bottom line is that I was accommodated by Amtrak with no problem. The crew on the train and agent on the phone were helpful.

As far the the lounge car is concerned - the Silver Meteor's lounge is ok - not as nice as those on the western trains. I generally spend more time in my roomette, but, if there is room in the lounge car (which there was on my last trip), I will sit for a while and enjoy scenery, beer and conversation.

I hope you enjoy your trip. I have never had a bad trip - even being 3 hours late. (I have been traveling on Amtrak for years and last month was the first time I missed a connection. If I had to miss a connection, it was a good one to miss, since there were trains leaving NYP to BOS every hour and I had good friends waiting to rescue me in Boston :) )

One Thing no one has mentioned is that the OP will have access to ClubAcela in New York after your arrival on the SM. Just show your ticket to gain access. It offers a less crowded place to wait on your train. And if you continue to Boston South Station you can get in to that ClubAcela by doing the same process of displaying your ticket to the attendant.

Thanks! That's great to know about Club Acela. I'm hoping for a quick visit with a college roommate while we're in New York but if that doesn't work out it's nice to know we have somewhere to hang. Unless we're running to make our connection! LOL Good point about not being the only ones in the same situation.

Penny, we live south of downtown and hear the trains all the time so it's easy to get excited about this trip.....December is such a long way away though.

I have booked our Christmas train trip also. Prices do go up and ours did like a day or two later.

Penny, we live south of downtown and hear the trains all the time so it's easy to get excited about this trip.....December is such a long way away though.
I live a little north of downtown and close enough to hear trains all the time, also. I am always excited about upcoming trips. I only have to wait less than 2 months for my next cross country trip. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back