overlapping reservations?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.P. Roberts

Conductor
My wife and I are thinking of taking our "bucket list" Amtrak long distance trip - CHI-EMY on the California Zephyr, in two roomettes across from each other.

In order to reduce the expense (technically in AGR points), we were thinking of booking the second roomette for only part of the trip - DEN-EMY, so we could see out both sides of the train during the scenic mountain portion. Is this possible?

Our plan is to book one roomette CHI-EMY under my name, with her name added in as the second passenger. Then, we could book a ticket DEN-EMY in her name for her own roomette. My question about this is that she'd be listed as having two tickets - I know Amtrak doesn't allow "overlapping" tickets out of concern that someone is booking two tickets with plans to cancel one, but is that still true if they're technically for different trips and we fully plan to use both of them?

Wonder if you could book the CHI-EMY under only your name and she gets an "Open Ticket" (having a brain fa** and not sure if that's the right wording) for CHI-DEN.

Wonder if you could book the CHI-EMY under only your name and she gets an "Open Ticket" (having a brain fa** and not sure if that's the right wording) for CHI-DEN.
Can you not say FART on this forum?

EDIT: Hey, you can!

Aside from that, I don't think AGR has an option for an open ticket, and any kind of extra ticket for her would probably negate any kind of cost/point savings.

I'm hoping that since she'd be purchasing the ticket under her own name, and I'd be purchasing my own ticket under my name, that they wouldn't care about the name of the second passenger in the roomette? Or would the computer system somehow notice that the same name is listed in their system at the same time? Considering how ancient ARROW allegedly is, I would think it's not that sophisticated, and they'd only look at duplicate purchases by the same person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you not say FART on this forum?

EDIT: Hey, you can!

Aside from that, I don't think AGR has an option for an open ticket, and any kind of extra ticket for her would probably negate any kind of cost/point savings.

I'm hoping that since she'd be purchasing the ticket under her own name, and I'd be purchasing my own ticket under my name, that they wouldn't care about the name of the second passenger in the roomette? Or would the computer system somehow notice that the same name is listed in their system at the same time? Considering how ancient ARROW allegedly is, I would think it's not that sophisticated, and they'd only look at duplicate purchases by the same person.
Sure YOU can, but I'm a lady and therefore don't say those kinds of things. :lol:

For your reservation with her as your second passenger, use a slightly different form of her name.

If the name on her account is $FIRSTNAME $LASTNAME, then on your reservation make your second passenger $FIRSTINITIAL $MIDDLENAME $LASTNAME. That should be enough to make the computer not trip the duplicate reservation check, but pass muster in the unlikely event that her ID gets checked at some point.

Also, don't put her AGR # on the first ticket that is in both of your names, just your number!

On the second ticket in her name, her number will be in the ticket for the second roomette as a Redemption from her Account.

Unless you're trying to burn points I think the viewing is best in the sightseer lounge particularly in those narrow canyons.
I've thought about that, but we never have much luck finding seats in the SSL or PPC during the scenic parts of our journeys. This way, we'er guaranteed to get a view out of the good side.

More importantly, perhaps, is that we discovered on our really long trip last year (several days in a row on the EB-CS), after 2-3 days in a roomette we're ready to have our own space :) .

For your reservation with her as your second passenger, use a slightly different form of her name.

If the name on her account is $FIRSTNAME $LASTNAME, then on your reservation make your second passenger $FIRSTINITIAL $MIDDLENAME $LASTNAME. That should be enough to make the computer not trip the duplicate reservation check, but pass muster in the unlikely event that her ID gets checked at some point.
Brilliant!

Also, don't put her AGR # on the first ticket that is in both of your names, just your number!

On the second ticket in her name, her number will be in the ticket for the second roomette as a Redemption from her Account.
Also brilliant!

And, just for the record... has anyone tried any of these particular tricks? I'm just curious as to whether they've actually worked or not.

While some number of roomettes tend to get vacated in Denver on the #5, the trick is going to be sure of getting the second roomette somewhere on the opposite side of the car.

Back