P40 #832 on the CONO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manchacrr

Lead Service Attendant
One of the newly refurbished P40s, #832, was on today's northbound City of New Orleans. The CONO has a slightly different consist than normal today:

P42 #80

P40 #832

P42 #114

Sleeper

Sleeper

Cross Country Cafe

Sightseer Lounge

Sightseer Lounge

Coach-Baggage

Coach

Coach

This will provide for some interesting photo opportunities along the way to Chicago.

Odd consist. It seems that Amtrak is trying to find the right spot for the P40's. It seems that the Springfield trains and the Vermonter trains are a good slot for them. Hundreds of possibilities right now. But the Springfield idea seems the most possible to happen.

Steve

Far more likely that Amtrak is just sending them out for testing to make sure that they work all the bugs out them. Very doubtful that they are looking for a place to actually use them in routine service. I'm pretty sure that they've already got plans for them, be it the Auto Train, Vermonter/Springfield shuttles, or some future FEC service.

I'd guess that the first couple of units will see a month or two of testing. Then assuming that they work well and with no problems, the rest will probably see a week or so of running with other engines just in case.

You will soon see them running out of one or two maintenance bases only. The P40 is totaly different than a P42 in parts.

it would be ridiculus to have a unit sit , broken waiting for simple part to be send.

Most likely places are New Haven for Springfield service as CDOT already runs P40's on SLE.

and Autotrain with Maintenance base at Ivy City.

One of the newly refurbished P40s, #832, was on today's northbound City of New Orleans. The CONO has a slightly different consist than normal today:
P42 #80

P40 #832

P42 #114

Sleeper

Sleeper

Cross Country Cafe

Sightseer Lounge

Sightseer Lounge

Coach-Baggage

Coach

Coach

This will provide for some interesting photo opportunities along the way to Chicago.
My guess would be that the extra cars were positioning moves to make up for the cancellations earlier in the week.

It definitely makes sense to run them out of CHI in a variety of operating conditions and lengths to see how the units react after being idle for seven years or so. I'm with Dutch though, these units will likely be based out of one or two places. In all reality the most logical place would be New Haven and Chicago for the LSL. Since fifteen units have been identified to return keeping them partially based in CHI would facilitate 92 day inspections and such, while keeping the rotation able to occur through BOS for the seven that are in NHV.

It definitely makes sense to run them out of CHI in a variety of operating conditions and lengths to see how the units react after being idle for seven years or so. I'm with Dutch though, these units will likely be based out of one or two places. In all reality the most logical place would be New Haven and Chicago for the LSL. Since fifteen units have been identified to return keeping them partially based in CHI would facilitate 92 day inspections and such, while keeping the rotation able to occur through BOS for the seven that are in NHV.
821 was on display at Chicago for NTD. They had the side access door open everything was either sparkling new or freshly painted. He looked great! I played it full rookie and asked a few questions about the unit to the employee who was there. He was a young electrician and seemed pretty enthusiastic. After he explained that these particular units in the 800 number series were actually older and had been mothballed for x number of years, I asked him what "Amtrak planned to do with them? I mean these 'older ones?'" He said that "they would likely move throughout the system like the regular P42s. We need the extra power." And added that "there really is very little difference between the two except the brakes." He said that with a shrug as if that didn't really matter. "I don't think there are any special plans for them."

Granted the guy was not management but he seemed to be in the know and really enjoy his job.

As I look at the Spring-Summer issue of the National timetable with the Cardinal on the cover, it could be possible that they store a few in WAS for the Cardinal, Carolinian, and the Palmetto. Grant it only 15 are coming back but lets say you have 7 at NHV-SPG-SAB. That leaves 8 open. 4 could goto the Palmetto and Carolinian. The other 2 could be split among the Card and Hoosier State. With he Card being only 5 cars, the Carolinian being around 6-7, and the Palmetto being 6. It makes some sense.

Hundreds of possibilities. Time will tell. It isn't my place to say where they'll be, but, we are allowed to make up are own theories and dream about the P40 rebuilds.

Steve

P42 #80

P40 #832

P42 #114

Sleeper

Sleeper

Cross Country Cafe

Sightseer Lounge

Sightseer Lounge

Coach-Baggage

Coach

Coach

My guess would be that the extra cars were positioning moves to make up for the cancellations earlier in the week.
I was on the Sunset that left NOL on Friday and the crew told us that they took our sightseer for national train day, although why it would leave to go to CHI on Friday I don't know.

P42 #80

P40 #832

P42 #114

Sleeper

Sleeper

Cross Country Cafe

Sightseer Lounge

Sightseer Lounge

Coach-Baggage

Coach

Coach

I was on the Sunset that left NOL on Friday and the crew told us that they took our sightseer for national train day, although why it would leave to go to CHI on Friday I don't know.
I rode the CONO from CDL to Chicago saturday morning and as we boarded were told that the train was packed and some might have to use seats in the lounge. It was called "The Blues Train". The performers for the noon music performance at NTD in Chicago were on the train and I was told that they had a jam session on friday nite.

P 40 832 seems to be getting around, here is a video of 832 trailing P 42 114 on the Kentucky Derby Special to Louisville.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hElUG9dGB5w
I watched the video but I can't tell the difference between the P40 and P42. Pardon my "railfan wannabe" ignorance, but what am I looking for? Maybe in the dark I missed something?

Thanks!

P 40 832 seems to be getting around, here is a video of 832 trailing P 42 114 on the Kentucky Derby Special to Louisville.
I watched the video but I can't tell the difference between the P40 and P42. Pardon my "railfan wannabe" ignorance, but what am I looking for? Maybe in the dark I missed something?

Thanks!
Spotting differences are very subtle. Easiest way to tell is from the numbers.

Thanks!
Spotting differences are very subtle. Easiest way to tell is from the numbers.
Correct, any locos with an 800 series number is a P40. Anything between 1 & 207 is a P42.

Correct, any locos with an 800 series number is a P40. Anything between 1 & 207 is a P42.
Good to know I didn't miss anything obvious.

But I'm still a little confused. The locomotive I got pictures of during NTD in Chicago is a P42, number 821. Are you sure the numbering isn't reversed?

Last edited by a moderator:

But I'm still a little confused. The locomotive I got pictures of during NTD in Chicago is a P42, number 821. Are you sure the numbering isn't reversed?
What makes you think it was a P42?

821 is a P40 - I saw it just recently in CHI on the back of the CL, and here's a shot of it that I got at Ivy City waiting to head out to get refurbed last April:

P40_Ivy_City.JPG

821 is a P40 - I saw it just recently in CHI on the back of the CL, and here's a shot of it that I got at Ivy City waiting to head out to get refurbed last April:
The plot thickens... so what's up with this label on the side of the 821 locomotive? This says it's a P42DC. Would it have been "upgraded", or the the "DC" part mean something?

IMG_1927.jpeg

It looks like the is two locomotives there, P40 821, and P42 112, if you look at the picture taken from out the end door of the coach, you can see P42 112's number board. I think that is what is confusing everyone.

It looks like the is two locomotives there, P40 821, and P42 112, if you look at the picture taken from out the end door of the coach, you can see P42 112's number board. I think that is what is confusing everyone.
Nice catch! I totally didn't get that there were 2 locomotives there - even now I still can't remember there being 2, but my own pictures prove that there was. I must have been so excited to see the open side door and step box on #821 that I didn't commit #112 to memory. The picture must be of the P42DC label on #112.

.. and I'm sure that I was the only one that was confused. Everyone else did a very good job at not letting me confuse them.

Thanks DAWall!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back