P40 #832 on the CONO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The locomotive I got pictures of during NTD in Chicago is a P42, number 821.
Do you know what type of car is pictured in #13? It looks like a cafe car; but I don't recall seeing anything like it. The posters above the windows make it look a little less drab than the cafe cars on the LSL and SM.

The locomotive I got pictures of during NTD in Chicago is a P42, number 821.
Do you know what type of car is pictured in #13? It looks like a cafe car; but I don't recall seeing anything like it. The posters above the windows make it look a little less drab than the cafe cars on the LSL and SM.
After my little fiasco with the P40/P42s above, I'm almost hesitant to answer, but here goes...

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a cafe car. The other half is Business Class as seen in the next picture. Everything looked better to me than the equipment I've seen on my [two] LD trips.

That's a Club-Dinette car, half cafe car/half Business class car. It comes with the highly valued 2 & 1 seating with the big, comfortable, wide seats that once saw service on Amtrak's Metroliner in the First Class cars.

Horizon cafe/club. Like what runs on the LSL, but with one half business class seating.

Last edited by a moderator:
P40s were delivered in 1993 with numbers 800-843. The P32 dual mode was in 1995 numbered 700-717 and finally the P42 was from 1996-2001 numbered 1-207. Now I wonder where is 832 going to pop up next?

P40s were delivered in 1993 with numbers 800-843. The P32 dual mode was in 1995 numbered 700-717 and finally the P42 was from 1996-2001 numbered 1-207. Now I wonder where is 832 going to pop up next?
Actually the P32 dual modes were delivered in 1995 & 1998, but otherwise all else is correct.

They also used Rohr Turboliners. Which Amtrak and NY State are in a major legal battle over. Amtrak was to Overhaul some of the Turboliners are return them to service. But the program fell through. Amtrak stores them in Albany and Bear.

stupid steal is to blame for the rohr turboliners failure. A/C problems due to too small return ducts or not enough among other things sealed there doom.

They also used Rohr Turboliners. Which Amtrak and NY State are in a major legal battle over. Amtrak was to Overhaul some of the Turboliners are return them to service. But the program fell through. Amtrak stores them in Albany and Bear.
That battle was over two years ago, Both NYS and Amtrak get to dispose of what they got, at will.

P40 #815 was in CHI today. I believe I also saw it in CHI on Wednesday. Looks clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back