Pacific Parlor Car Fire 11/9/15

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than money and equip, is there any reason why they can't turn couple SSL's into PPC 2.0?
Other than money and lack of SSLs, no reason at all. It is more than a couple, they need 5 to run the service and have 1 for protection. Those are two pretty big things, though.

With that said, if they ever do that (I am not holding my breath), I would hope that the refurb them, like put in seats suitable for humans, do something with the upstairs serving station to replace the downstairs service area and repurpose the downstairs.

Not going to happen, though. With Brian Rosenwald gone, no one is there to advocate for such an investment.

When the PPCs go, we would be lucky to get any replacements, let alone a fleet of 5 SSLs. The Diner-Lounges are probably more likely replacements, those appear to be kind of white elephants. The car design is terrible for lounge service, though. When I was on it and they ran a diner-lounge as a substitute, hardly anyone used it and the whole diner section was vacant most of the time as opposed the the popularity of the PPC. They need to use something like SP's "Pride of Texas" coffee shop/lounges from the Sunset as a model for a diner-lounge, where the lounge serving station was at one end of the car and faced the major part of the car instead of being partitioned off like the Diner-Lounge.

I think it is more likely that when the PPCs retire that amenity will go entirely, though, especially considering the current atmosphere on food and drink service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Providing WPA or WPA2 encryption prevents most casual eavesdropping of communications on open and unencrypted wifi signals. It's fine if everyone is using the same password to connect to these encrypted access points. The fact that they ARE encrypted is the important point. Security experts recommend, for example, that all Starbucks locations should encrypt all of its wifi signals with WPA or WPA2 encryption and post in BIG, BOLD LETTERS the password -- make it "starbucks" so that it will be easy to remember. Doing so will provide each and every person logging on with a separate, "relatively secure" connection that is resistant to the casual eavesdropping possible on all open networks.

I have been offline since the router went out in #14(9) Parlour Car Monday. I was eating lunch in the PPC as we pulled into Santa Barbara. As soon as we stopped, a cloud of smoke engulfed the chair end of the car and started filling the interior with smoke and have. Immediately, the attendant evacuated the four or five passengers to the SSL, and also evacuated the dining ing car to SSL. The staff clearly reacted well,as trained,

to the incident, and I never felt endangered. The Santa Barbara Fire Dept were there in a few minutes

Specifically, the PPC is named "Willamette Valley".

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been offline since the router went out in #14(9) Parlour Car Monday. I was eating lunch in the PPC as we pulled into Santa Barbara. As soon as we stopped, a cloud of smoke engulfed the chair end of the car and started filling the interior with smoke and have. Immediately, the attendant evacuated the four or five passengers to the SSL, and also evacuated the dining ing car to SSL. The staff clearly reacted well,as trained,

to the incident, and I never felt endangered. The Santa Barbara Fire Dept were there in a few minutes

Specifically, the PPC is named "Willamette Valley".
Did they use the PPC after that point?

No activities in the Parlour Car after fire. No wine and cheese, no movies, no bar service, no passengers sitting in the car. Of course, the sleeper passengers needed to pass through the darkened PPC to get to the dining car. Luminous strips were used to light the way thru the dark, cold car. Sitting in the car resumed the next day, without service, but I could still smell the smoke. The WiFi was moved to adjacent sleeper. Very well handled by the entire crew. Passengers evacuated from the dining car were later served their interrupted meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back