Pacific Parlour Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really foolish letting those Hi-Levels just sit there. Nobody gets anything out of that. They aren't even disposed of if no one wants them Such a waste!
The issue was maintenance and refurbishment cost, and it still is. If it was that cheap to do so, I am sure outfits like Iowa Pacific would snap 'em up. So far they haven't. That should say something, when an outfit that is running ex-Santa Fe Dome cars in several of its operations after adding additional AC capacity with rooftop units to them, is not jumping at the chance to pick up these cars for their growing operations.

The PPC that was in perfectly good working order and with no troubles was taken off of the Northbound Coast Starlight #14 on May 12th. It was substituted with a Cross Country Cafe, all because the PPC was instead used as part of the National Train Day display at LAUS.

Not happy about that move. Customer Relations will be getting a phone call.

The PPC that was in perfectly good working order and with no troubles was taken off of the Northbound Coast Starlight #14 on May 12th. It was substituted with a Cross Country Cafe, all because the PPC was instead used as part of the National Train Day display at LAUS.

Marketing probably figured the car would generate more value being displayed to thousands of visitors, some who may book a trip as a result. But I would indeed call in and hopefully you'll get an agent who appreciates the value of the car as much as we do and turn a voucher.

Oouucchh!!! I understand how you could feel that way!!!!! Very Disappointing!!! I'm turning my brother on to Amtrak in August,SEA-DEN, & I'm praying there will be a PPC!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished having an interesting conversation with a Customer Relations agent regarding the PPC. Since we lacked having one on our train because of National Train Day, I made a complaint with CR. The agent awarded back a $75 voucher for "good will" as he put it, but not because of anything more. He stated that because of the frequent unreliability of the PPC, Amtrak has decided there will no longer be a guarantee that any First Class car will be put on the train. He was pretty confident in his statement.

Since recent threads have mentioned a Parlor car specifically for the planned Superliner III orders, and that the Fleet Plan lists the PPC's as being on the roster until 2017 at the earliest now, being told by Customer Relations that a real PPC or a replacement is not going to be guaranteed any longer is a shock. It makes me wonder, has there been a CS consist lacking any First Class lounge car in recent years?

I just wonder if this is an employee making stuff up, or are there things going on that have not been reported?

I just finished having an interesting conversation with a Customer Relations agent regarding the PPC. Since we lacked having one on our train because of National Train Day, I made a complaint with CR. The agent awarded back a $75 voucher for "good will" as he put it, but not because of anything more. He stated that because of the frequent unreliability of the PPC, Amtrak has decided there will no longer be a guarantee that any First Class car will be put on the train. He was pretty confident in his statement.

Since recent threads have mentioned a Parlor car specifically for the planned Superliner III orders, and that the Fleet Plan lists the PPC's as being on the roster until 2017 at the earliest now, being told by Customer Relations that a real PPC or a replacement is not going to be guaranteed any longer is a shock. It makes me wonder, has there been a CS consist lacking any First Class lounge car in recent years?

I just wonder if this is an employee making stuff up, or are there things going on that have not been reported?
I have never seen a CS without a first class lounge car. I see them once or twice a week. That is not to say there aren't CS consists without a lounge, but I have never seem any in about 15 years of watching.

I had one Coast Starlight trip in July 2009 where a Cross Country Cafe was substituted for a Pacific Parlour Car.

I was riding #14 from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara... and purposely booked a roomette for an extra $68 so I could ride in the PPC.

Kinda disapointing, but that's how it goes sometimes. I just stayed in my room.

Well... I was. I'd never been in a PPC before, and I was happy to get a chance to see it during NTD. Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back