Pacific Surfliner-- Best views?

• Thread starter the_third_policeman
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the_third_policeman

Hi everyone --

I'm going to LA on business in November. I want to take a day off and ride the Pacific Surfliner, not so much to see any particular destination, but just to experience the train and the coastal views.

What is the best way to go from LA? North to Santa Barbara / San Luis Obispo or south to San Diego? If I go north, is it worth going as far as SLO or will the ride to SB be sufficiently scenic? At the moment it looks like going as far as SB would be best, spending a few hours there and then return journey when the sun is setting.

Haven't been to LA before but am more interested in seeing the coastline and walking along the oceanside than stalking movie stars on over-priced bus tours around Hollywood.

Any advice much appreciated

Trip to San Diego has more schedules than to San Luis Obispo. Biggest different in ocean view is a view from the beach level which is to San Diego while you'll get both (including cliff) to the north. Trip to San Luis Obispo is all day trip. San Diego trip is more of an "urban" trip while the SLO trip is more of a "rural" scenic.

The best view is between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo. You'll be passing through Vandenberg Air Force base which has launch pad tower.

Forget the tour bus in Hollywood. You can take the Red Line which is a subway to one of either Hollywood stations. Then walk to other station, enjoying the view of Stars of Boardwalk or even several weirdos.

I'd say to take the Surfliners southbound out of LAX for the best ocean views! And sit on the right side of the train (when facing the locomotive)!
wink.gif
At times, you'll be feet from the Pacific!

You can take the Red Line which is a subway to one of either Hollywood stations. Then walk to other station, enjoying the view of Stars of Boardwalk or even several weirdos.
I resemble that remark!
mosking.gif
But I've never taken the Red Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back