packing lists

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeets

Train Attendant
What do you like to bring on the train with you? I will be in a coach seat and want to bring my own food since I am reading horror stories about the new simplified dining!

What is on your list of "must have's" on the train?

Thanks,

Skeets

What do you like to bring on the train with you? I will be in a coach seat and want to bring my own food since I am reading horror stories about the new simplified dining!
I do not know where you are reading those "horror stories" because it is not at this site and not in the current issue of Trains Magazine. Simplified dining is proving, at least from the passenger perspective, to be pretty good. Bringing food on board to save money or have something light or just for the convenience is fine. But I do suggest you try at least one meal in the diner. You should be pleasantly surprised.

I do not know where you are reading those "horror stories" because it is not at this site and not in the current issue of Trains Magazine. Simplified dining is proving, at least from the passenger perspective, to be pretty good. Bringing food on board to save money or have something light or just for the convenience is fine. But I do suggest you try at least one meal in the diner. You should be pleasantly surprised.
I agree with PRR60 very much. While some entrées are rather expensive most are quite good. Even the snack bar items seem to be satisfying and some such as the Angus Cheeseburger is better than many fast food chains across the nation. IMHO....stay away from the cod and pork chop..... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say I was "pleasently" surprised by SDS I was "GREATLY" surprised on how good it actually was. I would bring some munchies, a little flashlight, a good book(s) depending how far you are travelling. Also bring earplugs and Tylenol PM, the earplugs work great when trying to go to sleep and the Tylenol PM and can knock you right out. I would wear something EXTREMELY comfortable on the trip. A pair of sweats and baggy sweatshirt etc. Also I would take the pair of shoes you are going to wear and the day before or (day of) spray them with Febreeze. I took my shoes off in coach the other night and I about gagged. Luckily, I had a bag that I ended up sticking them in and sealing it up. I could have ruined coach for the other 70 people if I wouldn't have had any sense at all! :lol: I just had SDS last weekend. I think the "horror" stories may have come right when it was rolled out. They've had some time to fix things. If you are travelling very far, take a pillow and then stuff a blanket inside the pillow and then take a bungee cord and strap it to your carryon.

I was on the CZ in June. It was the first time the crew on that train had done SDS. Not the first time SDS was done on the CZ, just for that crew. They did a great job. Food was just fine at least the food my wife and I ate. We ate all meals in the dining car the whole trip. [ CHI- EMY ] The srevice was as good as possable. The crew was a little late with some meals, but kept us informed of the delays. This was on #5 WB. East bound on #6 was OK. No delays, good crew and decient food. All and all it was OK. :)

Back to the question, a must have on overnight trips is a blanket. I take an old blanket that I roll up and attach to my suitcase with a bunge cord.

Another thing, especially if you're taking some food with you, is a small plastic bag from the grocery store to use for trash.

Thanks, everyone!

It is good to hear the food is better then some friends had told me!!

I am really looking forwrd to my trip. I'll be going from LA to Springfield, Illinois on the texas eagle!!

I leave in three weeks so anything else you can tell me about the train i would greatly appreciate!

If I bring cereal, can I buy milk?

Where is the best place to sit?

What is LA union station like (I'll be taking a bus to there from the valley)

I notice the train will be in San Antonio all night...........???

Can you get off the train in El Paso and Fort Worth where the schedule says the train will stop to refuel? etc etc...........

thans,

Skeets

If I bring cereal, can I buy milk?
Yes you can.

Where is the best place to sit?
In your seat. :lol:

What is LA union station like (I'll be taking a bus to there from the valley)
It's not a bad station and it does have a large waiting area. I posted a picture or two of the station in my report entitled "Where in the US is AlanB?" in the travelouge forum. CHI_Amtrak_Fan also posted a picture of the station in his recent report, section #3 I believe.

I notice the train will be in San Antonio all night...........???
That assumes that it actually gets to San Antonio on time in the first place. Odds are that it will be late and you won't be there all night. Don't worry though, Amtrak continues to provide power to the car for A/C and lights as needed, except during switching operations.

Can you get off the train in El Paso and Fort Worth where the schedule says the train will stop to refuel? etc etc...........
Yes, anyplace that the train stops for several minutes, you can get off the train for fresh air. Just listen for the conductor's annoucements when they annouce a smoking stop. That means that the train will be there for at least a few minutes and you can get off. Don't however wander far from the train, I certainly wouldn't suggest going into the station or leaving the platform during those breaks, or you could find the train leaving you behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back