Palmetto Strikes Truck That Didn't Yield

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Riley B. Brannen of Riviera Beach and 13-year-old Wilky Jean Baptiste were headed in different directions on separate journeys when their paths crossed Saturday morning in a remote area of northwestern Palm Beach County.
Baptiste was riding an Amtrak train that struck Brannen's dump truck, puncturing the train's fuel tank and stranding more than 100 passengers and crew beneath a blistering noonday sun in the middle of nowhere. No one was seriously hurt in the crash, but Brannen, 61, was treated for an arm injury, Florida Highway Patrol Sgt. Thomas Altieri said.

The full story from the Palm Beach Post.

Those poor passengers, but the worst part of the story has to be:

The Tampa-to-Miami train was southbound near Indiantown Road and the Beeline Highway at 10:45 a.m.
I didn't know things had gotten so bad for the Palmetto that it's no longer serves New York-Tampa.

I didn't know things had gotten so bad for the Palmetto that it's no longer serves New York-Tampa.
Funny. On the serious side, Engine 57 was in the lead, with the usual consist of a Business Class Coach, Lounge, three coaches, and a baggage bringing up the markers. I saw the train as we met at Okeechobee on 98. It's a shame, it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back