Palmetto

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amin

Has anyone heard or know of the Palmetto being discontinued somewhere in March? Also I heard from a conductor that the diner might be added. Any info?

Actually if the train is whacked south of Jacksonville that would happen at the end of April. Things are still up in the air at this point, but I have heard rumors from people in high places. Also, at this point it would appear unlikely that the Palmetto would recieve a sleeper anytime soon, since the Cardinal (which took its sleeper and diner to begin with) is running to New York effective end of the month, and won't be giving up its sleeper anytime soon.

Well it seems to me the Palmetto in its current state would be fairly well suited for a New York - Jacksonville trip, it could be a long day trip serving the communities in North and South Carolina at decent times, much like the old Pennsylvanian did for Ohio and Indiana. The equipment is suited for longer and medium trips, a diner still would be nice for an all day trip but what can ya do! Maybe but some fancier meals in the Amfleet II lounge or something, thats all you need!

I think if meals like those on the Three Rivers are offered (along with the traditional lounge fare) people may not be so abject to this train. Does it need a full service diner and sleeper? Yes. But for the time being we'll take what we can get.

Heres another idea of mine, now if they were gonna cut the Palmetto down to NYP-JAX, why not make the business class into a metroliner-like first class with the meals and stuff included. . . hey even the current routing would benifit from some all out first class service, even though it wouldnt be in the form of Sleepers, its still better then nothing.

And if they do cut the Palmetto down, what train will be re-routed to serve Tampa?

I know, Amtrak Management knows, and a few Conductors and Engineers know. And that's the way it's going to stay until they go public with what will happen.

P40Power said:
Heres another idea of mine, now if they were gonna cut the Palmetto down to NYP-JAX, why not make the business class into a metroliner-like first class with the meals and stuff included. . . hey even the current routing would benifit from some all out first class service, even though it wouldnt be in the form of Sleepers, its still better then nothing.
And if they do cut the Palmetto down, what train will be re-routed to serve Tampa?
That would be good, but Ideally it would be nice if Amtrak could (temporarily) bring back a couple of Amfleet sleepers.

There never was an Amfleet Sleeper. Back in the late 1970's an Amfleet Coach had a couple rows of seats ripped out on the restroom end and in their place was put two Standard/Economy like rooms. We've discussed this before and I remember someone saying that the whole thing was a failure and the Amfleet just can't hold to the design of a sleeper.

why is amtrak considering cutting the palmetto south of jacksonville? And if they do cut it will tampa retain actual train service or just thruway service to orlando.

According to what I've heard, there will continue to be train service to Tampa. There will still be two trains a day for Orlando, and one for Tampa, while Miami will only send out two trains per day (down from the current three). as for why the cut is occuring it's due mainly to low ridership along the S-Line (Dade City-Waldo stations). The reason for low ridership you ask? Bad hours. Also cntributing to a drop in ridership is the lack of a Dining Car and sleeper. The buses will typically carry 50-100 people per day from Orlando to points south. Many of the people I talk to that take the bus say they take Silver Service over Palmetto bug because of the lack of a sleeping and Dining car.

battalion51 said:
What advantage does an Amfleet sleeper bring over a Viewliner?
None, I'm just saying, an Amfleet Sleeper is better than no sleeper at all. Amfleet, in the article I read in a old trains magazine, the reporter acutally seemed to like it. Its purpose was to provide sleeper service, at least till a Heritage Sleeper could be freed up I believe. It was basically a Superliner Standard Room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back