Park ranger onboard ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faraz

Train Attendant
I am taking these trains May 25'th, anyone know if there will be park ranger onboard on any of them? I remember California Zephr had one.

20 Crescent

29 Capitol Limited

27 Empire Builder

11 Coast Starlight

I'll follow up on this with a more general question:

Is there some place online one can go, or a number one can call, to find out when trains are going to be staffed with rails and trails guides (not just seasons, but actual days)? Sure would be helpful in planning trips!

-Rafi

I know its a lot during the summer months. I had one on the Texas Eagle once too. But I know rtaburn does this, so he'll probably have an answer. He's a member of this forum.

I'll follow up on this with a more general question:
Is there some place online one can go, or a number one can call, to find out when trains are going to be staffed with rails and trails guides (not just seasons, but actual days)? Sure would be helpful in planning trips!

-Rafi
The trains are generally staffed with Trails & Rails volunteers from Memorial Day until Labor Day, but since many of the trains are staffed with volunteers, it is difficult to predict this early how many will volunteer for each train and even then, volunteers sometimes are good about sticking to the schedule and then others are not quite so considerate.

The Crescent #20 will have one south of Atlanta in the Café/Lounge car. Of course like they said it is on a volunteer basis and is usually only in the summer months. I know there is a retired husband and wife that live near Atlanta that volunteer quite a bit.

I think on certain days you will get a ranger (actually, volunteer with Trails & Rails) on the Crescent.

I don't think there is anyone on the Capitol.

On the Empire Builder there is someone on-board DAILY between Chicago and Winona, MN (that's my T&R group... so maybe I will see you!!). We're one of the few daily programs since most other areas dont have as many volunteers as you can get out of Chicago. You might also get T&R folks on between Minot, ND and Williston, ND... Williston and Shelby, MT... and Shelby and Seattle depending on your day of travel.

I believe there also might be someone on the Coast Starlight between SEA and PDX... and SBA and LAX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back