Parking at the Lawrence Amtrak station. Not any more for me

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mucomix

Service Attendant
My car was vandalized at the Lawrence KS Amtrak station this last week 12/7/09. A Tire slashed taillight broke out etc. I have left it there over night before. This trip it was there for five nights. Free parking got a little pricey.

The Lawrence Amtrak station is now on my no parking list. I will take a taxi across town from now on.

My car was vandalized at the Lawrence KS Amtrak station this last week 12/7/09. A Tire slashed taillight broke out etc. I have left it there over night before. This trip it was there for five nights. Free parking got a little pricey.
The Lawrence Amtrak station is now on my no parking list. I will take a taxi across town from now on.
Was yours the only car targeted? Or, were there others that were damaged, too?

I will likely never know if their where other cars damaged I did not see any thing in the paper when we got back. There is a fair chance it was the only car around on any given night. Not many people park there 3-4 cars is the most I have ever seen myself and a lot of times none. If I'm on that side of town I will drive by the station just to see what is going on. I have never seen a nice newer car parked there and with good reason it is a bad part of town as is true with a lot of stations. I would never take a good car down there it was my 11yr old (but nice and straight) work car.

I quit making reports on uninsured losses long ago it almost adds insult to the injury.

Sorry to hear of your trouble in Lawrence. I've often thought Amtrak should provide parking near stations but I guess this proves why it would be risky, not to mention the high cost of land in most downtown areas. I've gone out of St. Louis a couple of times and asked about parking and was told I could drive out to Alton Il. where there is a lot or park at a hotel near the station in St. Louis at $17 a night. I opted to have a relative put me up the night before and then drive me to the airport at 4:30am then take a Metro train into the Amtrak station downtown. When I'm in Trenton I would never leave my car downtown, instead I have someone take me to the station.

I've been contemplating this a bit. I was going to have my dad drive Audrey and I to Metro Park on his way to work for our trip in january, but now he is going in for a major back surgery and won't be able to drive at the time. So I am probably going to find myself parking the car at Metro Park for a week. Any advice? Its a 16 year old Mercedes e-class.

I've not heard of any problems at Metropark, but that's also not saying that there aren't any problems. However, unlike Lawrence, Metropark is a paid parking facility with security I believe. On the other hand, that could be a bit of a rub too, as parking for several days can get a bit expensive.

And I have heard of people showing up on a weekday late in the morning to find that the garage has sold out.

I know the last part. Believe me, I know the last part. My dad is offering to pay for it since he isn't going to be able to drive us. Besides, $65 isn't too much, and that's the price of a monthly pass (less then the 8 days we'll be there)

I will likely never know if their where other cars damaged I did not see any thing in the paper when we got back. There is a fair chance it was the only car around on any given night. Not many people park there 3-4 cars is the most I have ever seen myself and a lot of times none. If I'm on that side of town I will drive by the station just to see what is going on. I have never seen a nice newer car parked there and with good reason it is a bad part of town as is true with a lot of stations. I would never take a good car down there it was my 11yr old (but nice and straight) work car.
I quit making reports on uninsured losses long ago it almost adds insult to the injury.
Does the station have security cameras monitoring the parking lot? There used to be a railcam set up on http://www.railserve.com/RailCams/ but I don't see it listed today.

Sorry to hear of your trouble in Lawrence. I've often thought Amtrak should provide parking near stations but I guess this proves why it would be risky, not to mention the high cost of land in most downtown areas. I've gone out of St. Louis a couple of times and asked about parking and was told I could drive out to Alton Il. where there is a lot or park at a hotel near the station in St. Louis at $17 a night. I opted to have a relative put me up the night before and then drive me to the airport at 4:30am then take a Metro train into the Amtrak station downtown. When I'm in Trenton I would never leave my car downtown, instead I have someone take me to the station.
Amtrak has recently open a paid parking lot at St. Louis. Here's a story about it. The story indicates there are security cameras at the new lot.

http://www.rtands.com/newsflash/amtrak-ope...-st.-louis.html

With the City of Lawrence contemplating purchasing the BNSF (AMTRAK) Depot from the railroad, it would probably be a good idea to bring this incident to their attention, Mucomix... that way they will at least consider security cameras as part of their refurbishment.

BTW, it was nice to see you at the Depot "Brainstorming" meeting a few months ago.

Amtrak has recently open a paid parking lot at St. Louis. Here's a story about it. The story indicates there are security cameras at the new lot.

http://www.rtands.com/newsflash/amtrak-ope...-st.-louis.html
This is great news! I have a house in S.E. Mo. where I stay during the summer and this will make it a lot easier to take trips while I'm out there. Was thinking of taking the MRR over to KC for a BBQ dinner and then returning the next day. Also will make it easier to make trips up to CHI. Thanks for the article as I left MO. around Labor day this year and didn't see this news.

I would definitely file a police report. That way they know this is happening at the station and you can deduct the vandalism amount on your taxes.

I would file a report as well. I had not one but two Republic of Ireland flags stolen from my house. I didn't report the first theft but the second theft I told a cop about it and he said, "definately file a report, if 20 things happened in your hood that night and no one reports it, then we have no clue that there's been trouble in that neighborhood." It made sense so anytime something is taken or vandalized in my quiet and sleepy neighborhood, I file a report.

rail rider re: post #4

I've used the parking garage at Trenton for extended periods a few times without incident, although not without some trepidation. When traveling out of Philadelphia, I usually just park at a commuter station and take SEPTA into 30th Street.

rail rider re: post #4
I've used the parking garage at Trenton for extended periods a few times without incident, although not without some trepidation. When traveling out of Philadelphia, I usually just park at a commuter station and take SEPTA into 30th Street.
I would use the Trenton garage for short runs to Philly or NY but I wouldn't leave it there overnight anytime. Also would have to hope it wouldn't be filled when I got there.

and you can deduct the vandalism amount on your taxes.

Huh? Haven't heard of this. Would it be under the category that has to be above 2% or something of AGI?

Sorry to hear of the vandals hitting your car.

Huh? Haven't heard of this. Would it be under the category that has to be above 2% or something of AGI?

I use Turbo Tax and every year it asks me if I have been a victim of theft or vandalism. I had two tires slashed one year. Somebody decided to give everyone in the apartment complex a nice Christmas present.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc507.html

I know the last part. Believe me, I know the last part. My dad is offering to pay for it since he isn't going to be able to drive us. Besides, $65 isn't too much, and that's the price of a monthly pass (less then the 8 days we'll be there)
Its 6 dollars a day for Metropark we left a car there for 8 days over the summer with no problems.

I use Turbo Tax and every year it asks me if I have been a victim of theft or vandalism. I had two tires slashed one year. Somebody decided to give everyone in the apartment complex a nice Christmas present.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc507.html
The tax software out there is cool. I have used for the past few years now that my taxes are simple.

Enough of that I'm going to try to put up some pictures from the trip. Over the Raton pass and the Plato to the west there was a freezing fog that coated the trees that was very nice to look at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back