Parking Cost at Staple Mills Richmond

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

What's the cost for parking at Staples Mills in Richmond if any?

The last time we were there, I don't believe there was any cost. It is a suburban area with suburban motels, stores and fast food places in the area.

Call the station: (804) 553-2903 for Amtrak Staples Mill Station.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of 7/15/2012 the cost was $5.00 per day. Cash only, no credit cards or personal checks.

As of 7/15/2012 the cost was $5.00 per day. Cash only, no credit cards or personal checks.
Really? What parking facility these days operates only takes cash and does not have the capability to take credit/debit cards? Not that difficult to add a credit/debit card reader. Cash at parking garages or paid lots tends to lead to pilferage by the attendant unless there is a computer tracking system with time stamps of cars going in and out.

WMATA, the operators of the DC Metro system, switched to no cash payments at all a few years ago for its paid parking lots and garages because the attendants for the contractors operating the facility were pocketing a lot of the cash. Have to pay with credit/debit or the prepaid SmarTrip card. Only the parking spaces with meters still take cash.

Really? What parking facility these days operates only takes cash and does not have the capability to take credit/debit cards? Not that difficult to add a credit/debit card reader. Cash at parking garages or paid lots tends to lead to pilferage by the attendant unless there is a computer tracking system with time stamps of cars going in and out.

WMATA, the operators of the DC Metro system, switched to no cash payments at all a few years ago for its paid parking lots and garages because the attendants for the contractors operating the facility were pocketing a lot of the cash. Have to pay with credit/debit or the prepaid SmarTrip card. Only the parking spaces with meters still take cash.
I believe that Standard Parking, which runs a few lots in Richmond, is like this at virtually all of their lots. I'm actually surprised that Amtrak hasn't thought of revoking their franchise and moved things "in house" (particularly since Standard leaves the lot unmanned from about 11 PM or so until some time in the morning, meaning that if the last trains of the evening run late, they lose out on all of that revenue).

I believe that Standard Parking, which runs a few lots in Richmond, is like this at virtually all of their lots. I'm actually surprised that Amtrak hasn't thought of revoking their franchise and moved things "in house" (particularly since Standard leaves the lot unmanned from about 11 PM or so until some time in the morning, meaning that if the last trains of the evening run late, they lose out on all of that revenue).
Standard runs lots all over the country, including the parking at Atlanta, O'Hare and Denver Airports. I'm willing to bet that most take credit cards. Certainly the airport lots do.

What's the cost for parking at Staples Mills in Richmond if any?
As of this past Monday, 7/16/12, the cost was $5 per day, cash only.

The payment booth is not manned from around 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. which means that if 98 arrives at RVR less than 1 hour and 15 minutes late, parking is free for those getting off that train.

As of this past Monday, 7/16/12, the cost was $5 per day, cash only.

The payment booth is not manned from around 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. which means that if 98 arrives at RVR less than 1 hour and 15 minutes late, parking is free for those getting off that train.
So, if someone arrives at RVR at 9:45 PM, has a parked car and knows when the payment booth closes up for the day, they can wait a few minutes and save on parking. Not the best business approach to collect revenue.

I find it unusual that a fenced off parking lot operation would take only cash. Perhaps the IRS should audit the books of the parking lot operator and the tax returns of the attendants. :eek:

I believe Charlottesville is cash only and they have a box to put payment in afterhours. The spots are numbered and they know who is in them so I don't believe you can avoid payment by waiting until after hours because they will see your car in that spot the next day.

I believe Charlottesville is cash only and they have a box to put payment in afterhours. The spots are numbered and they know who is in them so I don't believe you can avoid payment by waiting until after hours because they will see your car in that spot the next day.
Well, at RVR there's an automatic "ticket spitter"...it's just the payment booth that doesn't get manned.

The real problem is not the cost...it is a space issue. I have not been able to find a space in that lot. Maybe they should raise the fee!

There may be a solution, if you're willing to undergo a ten minute walk and brave crossing Staples Mill. Park at the Glenside Park 'N Ride for free, and walk to the station.

Update on parking at Staples Mill Amtrak in Richmond Va.

Parking charge is still $5.00 per day, however, the booth is now staffed 24 hours a day, at least according to the parking attendant. My train was late getting into Richmond, and I waited untill 11:15 pm, and the booth was still staffed, When I left Richmond for my trip, I got to the station at 5:15 a.m., and there was a parking attendant in the booth at that hour also. So, it looks like they are now staffing the booth 24 hours a day.

There's plenty of garages inside DC that are cash only on the weekends. Its a huge pain.

Gary,

That wouldn't shock me. I reported what it was, but it's entirely possible (what with the capacity notice on amtrak.com) that they added an attendant shift from 2300 or so until 0500 or so to cover the un-covered hours.

I was just there this evening. (9/18/14) Cost is now $6 and they do take credit card via prepay at an electronic paystation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back