Partial refund for roomette charges in case of bustitution

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meme

Train Attendant
Hi, all --

If Empire Builder is still having problems next week from Chicago, the point at which we get our roomette for a trip that continues out to the West Coast, will Amtrak refund part of our accommodations cost? I understand that we're still being transported, and that floods are out of Amtrak's control. But since we'd have no sleeper, and have no accompanying meals for one of the two nights we have reserved, can we expect a refund or voucher for some portion?

Thanks.

I think you can expect some sort of refund (not sure if you get US dollars back, or if it's a voucher) for the full accomodation charge (that is, the charge to upgrade from coach to sleeper). Though I'm not sure if you get the low bucket coach price regardless of what coach was going for at the time you bought your ticket in this case.

Page 125 of the timetable says

On-Board Refunds: Passengers who downgrade accomodations or reduce the number in their party on board trains must obtain a Refund Authorization Form (NRPT 27) from the conductor; actual refundability, if any, will be determined by the rules that apply to the ticket purchased.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on the Empire Builder and had to be bussed from Chicago to St. Paul on June 15th.

When we arrived in Chicago, we were told to go to ticketing and get a refund for the portion

of our sleeper/meals that we missed because of being bussed. Some of the passengers

did this right away, but we didn't have enough time and I thought I could do it later when we

got to Seattle. It was almost midnight in St. Paul and we got right onto the train.

When I got to Seattle, I tried to get my refund, but since they already took the ticket on the

train (and all I had was the receipt), the agent at the station said I had to call the 800 number.

When I called the 800 number, they told me I would have to send copies of my ticket stubs

in with a letter to the refund department and I would get a refund.

On the return trip, we were bussed from St. Paul to Chicago on June 22nd. No mention was

made of a refund, and I didn't bother asking since I had to write a letter to the refunds dept

about the westward trip anyway.

So Amtrak is giving refunds for the sleeper/meals missed. I suggest you do it before getting

on the train and giving your ticket in. That way you'll have less of a problem down the road.

I was on the Empire Builder and had to be bussed from Chicago to St. Paul on June 15th.When we arrived in Chicago, we were told to go to ticketing and get a refund for the portion

of our sleeper/meals that we missed because of being bussed. ....

So Amtrak is giving refunds for the sleeper/meals missed. I suggest you do it before getting

on the train and giving your ticket in. That way you'll have less of a problem down the road.
Very helpful - thanks.

I believe they are only bussing from Chicago to St. Paul, so'd you'd only miss one meal (dinner) and would not miss any nights in your sleeper. I'm not sure how much they'd figure for a refund.

I was on the Empire Builder and had to be bussed from Chicago to St. Paul on June 15th....

On the return trip, we were bussed from St. Paul to Chicago on June 22nd.
I'll be on the EB westbound out of Columbus, WI Tues July 1, so that will be the bus also. My question is how they handled the dinner meal while on the bus in both directions. I know the old Greyhound route up from ChI to MSP had a meal stop along the way--I believe it was at Wis Dells, WI. On both of the bus segments, did your bus make a meal stop at some point(s)?

I was on the Empire Builder and had to be bussed from Chicago to St. Paul on June 15th....

On the return trip, we were bussed from St. Paul to Chicago on June 22nd.
I'll be on the EB westbound out of Columbus, WI Tues July 1, so that will be the bus also. My question is how they handled the dinner meal while on the bus in both directions. I know the old Greyhound route up from ChI to MSP had a meal stop along the way--I believe it was at Wis Dells, WI. On both of the bus segments, did your bus make a meal stop at some point(s)?
On the way from Chicago to St. Paul, we stopped at the halfway point (at a Wendy's located at a truckstop).

The bus driver said she would give us 30 minutes to get food and that we could eat on the bus. Our bus

and another bus stopped here. Since there were so many people, we ended up being there for 1 hour

before everyone was able to get through the food line. We jumped back on the bus and ate our meal

at our seats. This bus left Chicago at 2:30 PM and arrived in St. Paul at 11:eek:o PM.

On the bus from St. Paul to Chicago, Amtrak had provided us with a few cases of bottle water and several

packs of plain donuts. This bus left St. Paul at 8:15 AM and got to Chicago at 3:50 PM. This bus driver

only made one stop at a rest area that had a few snack vending machines.

When I pickd up our tickets for #4 last week, a refund also printed for the room charges from KC to Chicago. The refunded back to my credit card. When they bussed us from Boston to Albany they also refunded the Business Class cost.

Hi, all --
If Empire Builder is still having problems next week from Chicago, the point at which we get our roomette for a trip that continues out to the West Coast, will Amtrak refund part of our accommodations cost? I understand that we're still being transported, and that floods are out of Amtrak's control. But since we'd have no sleeper, and have no accompanying meals for one of the two nights we have reserved, can we expect a refund or voucher for some portion?

Thanks.
Meme,

Just as a quick followup, as of today, the Empire Builder is now running the complete route from Chicago to St. Paul, and on to the West coast. The Chicago to St. Paul portion is on a detour, so it won't be making its normal stops, but again, the train is running from Chicago now.

Rafi

Hi, all --

Thanks.
Meme,

Just as a quick followup, as of today, the Empire Builder is now running the complete route from Chicago to St. Paul, and on to the West coast. The Chicago to St. Paul portion is on a detour, so it won't be making its normal stops, but again, the train is running from Chicago now.

Rafi

That's good news. We checked earlier today & saw there'd be bustitution from Chicago to I've-forgotten-where (Indiana?),so I'm glad to get your update. Thanks, Rafi.

Hi, all --

Thanks.
Meme,

Rafi

Hi again, Rafi --

Currently on the Amtrak page is the following:

(And of course I meant to say Wisconsin, NOT Indiana!)

Service by the Empire Builder on CP Railway between St. Paul and Chicago, suspended since June 10 due to flooding in Wisconsin, has resumed using a Union Pacific detour route, effective June 27. This allows a resumption of Amtrak rail service at all Minnesota locations, plus La Crosse, Wis.

Alternate transportation by chartered motorcoaches will be provided between La Crosse and Chicago, with the exception of Glenview, Ill., where passengers are being offered travel on Amtrak Hiawatha Service trains as alternate transportation between Glenview and Chicago.

The Amtrak Empire Builder will return to its regular route in Illinois and Wisconsin on a date to be announced.

Does this info supersede what you had? I prefer what YOU said, of course --

Hi again, Rafi --Currently on the Amtrak page is the following:

(And of course I meant to say Wisconsin, NOT Indiana!)

Service by the Empire Builder on CP Railway between St. Paul and Chicago, suspended since June 10 due to flooding in Wisconsin, has resumed using a Union Pacific detour route, effective June 27. This allows a resumption of Amtrak rail service at all Minnesota locations, plus La Crosse, Wis.

Alternate transportation by chartered motorcoaches will be provided between La Crosse and Chicago, with the exception of Glenview, Ill., where passengers are being offered travel on Amtrak Hiawatha Service trains as alternate transportation between Glenview and Chicago.

The Amtrak Empire Builder will return to its regular route in Illinois and Wisconsin on a date to be announced.

Does this info supersede what you had? I prefer what YOU said, of course --
Meme,

Believe it or not, it actually corroborates what I posted! ;)

Their wording could be better, I'll agree, but if you read the following line closely, you'll see it actually is telling you that the Empire Builder is running on a detour over Union Pacific tracks between St. Paul and Chicago:

Service by the Empire Builder on CP Railway between St. Paul and Chicago, suspended since June 10 due to flooding in Wisconsin, has resumed using a Union Pacific detour route, effective June 27.
So it's good news for you all around.

-Rafi

Service by the Empire Builder on CP Railway between St. Paul and Chicago, suspended since June 10 due to flooding in Wisconsin, has resumed using a Union Pacific detour route, effective June 27.

Thanks, Rafi! You just confirmed that my DH was wrong and I was right. He insisted that the "alternate transportation" part is what we needed to pay attention to; I didn't agree, but in the interest of household harmony moved on from it. Guess we were both suffering from packing fatigue!

NOW I can relax.

(After I point out to him his error :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back