Penn St. NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the NYC block system that was used it would be MO notifying Nich, and Nich notifying Grand Central. Nich was the tower that sat astride the tracks just west/north of the point where the tracks enter the Park Avenue tunnels. The whole thing was under supervision of the train director at MO, but Nich executed on the final tunnel track assignment based on the final arrival track that was assigned to each train in GCT. Sometimes the original plan for a train would get modified as late as Nich due to the way things evolved after the plan was made.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...IIRC, and correct me if I'm wrong, MO controlled the convergence/divergence of the Hudson and Harlem Divisions in addition to handling the coach yard. I do remember reading where the cooks had to be on the diner at Mott Haven yard by 2 p.m. to start cooking for about a 6 p.m. departure of the 20th Century Limited.You could board BEFORE train departure time and sit down to a lovely dinner. Don't let the chef hear it's your birthday because you'll get a cake baked on board. My grand-father got away with this for a long time when we were kids until I saw a $5 bill (a kazillion bucks to us kids)slipped to the steward. :lol:

In the NYC block system that was used it would be MO notifying Nick, and Nich notifying Grand Central. Nich was the tower that sat astride the tracks just west/north of the point where the tracks enter the Park Avenue tunnels. The whole thing was under supervision of the train director at MO, but Nich executed on the final tunnel track assignment based on the final arrival track that was assigned to each train in GCT. Sometimes the original plan for a train would get modified as late as Nich due to the way things evolved after the plan was made.
Jis;

My memory is very foggy on this. Were there any cross-overs between the 125th Street platform and the 97th Street tunnel entrance ?

i dint know where on here it was posted but OMG it was SOOOO AWESOME seeing the NYP announcer !!! thats THE voice LOL

In the NYC block system that was used it would be MO notifying Nick, and Nick notifying Grand Central. Nick was the tower that sat astride the tracks just west/north of the point where the tracks enter the Park Avenue tunnels. The whole thing was under supervision of the train director at MO, but Nick executed on the final tunnel track assignment based on the final arrival track that was assigned to each train in GCT. Sometimes the original plan for a train would get modified as late as Nick due to the way things evolved after the plan was made.
Jis;

My memory is very foggy on this. Were there any cross-overs between the 125th Street platform and the 97th Street tunnel entrance ?
Yes. That is what was controlled by Nick until the whole thing was transferred to MNRR CTC Center on Madison Ave.

Here is what Nick looked like circa 1981 before it was torn down during the Park Avenue Viaduct Reconstruction Project. The interlocking plant is still there but as I said is remotely controlled from MNRR CTC Center.

img_93327.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back