Pennsylvanian

• Thread starter Guest_shanghaiamtrak
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_shanghaiamtrak

It appears that the Three Rivers line no longer exists, only the Pennsylvanian. Did the Pennsy line simply replace the Three Rivers? Is it a different route?

What kind of equipment do they use on the Pennsylvanian?

Since the mail cars were already phased out, Amtrak decided to shorten the line because not too many passengers are at end of the line. Also, it simply changed the name from Three Rivers to Pennsylvanian to match to its passenger train' history before the Amtrak era.

The consist of the train remains the same, probably Viewliners.

gswager said:
The consist of the train remains the same, probably Viewliners.
Viewliners? On a day route... :eek:

The consist is more of an Amfleet/Horizon Consist. I don't know the specifics of wheter Amfleet II's are used or not as they had been in the past, but definitely not Viewliners...they were pulled of the Three Rivers in October IIRC and replaced with BusinessClass accomodations.

First there are no Viewliners on the Pennsylvanian, never were and still aren't.

Now for a little history. For several years, there were two trains that ran the route between NY, Philly, Pittsburgh the Pennsylvanian and the Three Rivers (3R's). The 3 R's actually ran all the way to Chicago and therefore had sleepers in addition to coaches, while the Pennsy a coach only train terminated at Pittsburgh.

When Amtrak entered the freight business, there was so much traffic to Chicago that they extended the Pennsy to Chicago, so that it too could carry freight. About 2 years ago, Amtrak started to exit the freight business and at that time the Pennsy was cut back to terminate at Pittsburgh once again.

That left only the 3R's running to Chicago, via Pittsburgh. Then last November, Amtrak rather abruptly decided that the continuing decline of the freight business meant that even the 3R's to Chicago was no longer needed to carry freight and the passenger load didn't pay well enough to keep the train running.

Now let me add the fact that the State of Pennsylvania actually help to pay Amtrak to run the Pennsy to Pittsburgh. Also there is a law that requires Amtrak to gives a 180 day warning to cities and towns on a route that Amtrak plans to stop serving.

So in November, Amtrak temporarily suspended the Pennsy, while continuing to run the 3R's. They did this to save money, since the State of Pennyslvania was still getting service to Pitt that they were helping to fund and Amtrak could save the cost of running two trains to Pitt. They also removed the sleeper service from the 3R's, again to help ave money. Additionally by continuing on to Chicago, they satisfied the 180 warning notice.

Well the 180 days are up at the end of this month. So at that point, Amtrak will cancel the 3R's totally and restore the Pennsy, since that is really the train that the State pays for.

gswager said:
Also, it simply changed the name from Three Rivers to Pennsylvanian to match to its passenger train' history before the Amtrak era.
To clarify, both “The Three Rivers” and the “Pennsylvanian” are Amtrak-concocted names. No pre-Amtrak trains carried these names.

The closest pre-Amtrak names on the PRR were the "Pennsylvania Limited" (a mid-tier, late departure New York to Chicago train) and the "Pittsburgher" (an overnight New York to Pittsburgh train). The closest train the PRR carded to schedule of Amtrak’s Pennsylvanian was the Duquesne, which left New York at arrived Pittsburgh at 5:00pm.

PRR 60 said:
rmadisonwi said:
I don't think the Pennsylvanian is funded by the state.
Correct. The Pennsylvanian used to be a state-supported train, but it has been Amtrak funded for quite a few years now.
My bad. :)

But I knew that the State had at least been involved at one time.

I think state subsidies ended when the train was converted from a NYP-PGH train to a PHL-CHI freight train.

I've heard that before Amtrak screwed with the schedule (in the late 1990s), the Pennsylvanian actually covered its costs for Amtrak.

rmadisonwi said:
I've heard that before Amtrak screwed with the schedule (in the late 1990s), the Pennsylvanian actually covered its costs for Amtrak.
That wouldn't surprise me, as ridership on this train has always been rather high, between Philly and Pitt.

gswager said:
Thanks for correcting me about the type of cars and the name!
- From the Westerner :lol:
Well you know what that means. Ya just gotta ride Amtrak out here to the East coast more frequently. :)

Who cares if it costs money and you need time off from work, ya just gotta ride Amtrak. :lol:

Back