Pets will be allowed on all trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as we're talking about making the airlines uncomfortable that person in the seat in front of you who reclines. Even if they are in the exit row they do. I never recline my seat.
When the person in front of you reclines, they are inclining into their space. When they aren't reclined, you might "borrow" (take without permission) that space for your own use, but that doesn't make it your space; it still remains completely theirs. That's the way the interior is designed/layout.

As long as we're talking about making the airlines uncomfortable that person in the seat in front of you who reclines. Even if they are in the exit row they do. I never recline my seat.
When the person in front of you reclines, they are inclining into their space. When they aren't reclined, you might "borrow" (take without permission) that space for your own use, but that doesn't make it your space; it still remains completely theirs. That's the way the interior is designed/layout.
How do you figure that? Having somebody's seatback in my lap is invading my space. As long as airlines cram why too many people in too small a space, no seats should recline.

As far as animals on transports are concern, leave the pets at home, folks. They're not your kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that it is the design of the seat that defines whose space is where, and not what an individual feels like. If you have a problem with the seat reclining, don't fly on that airline or take it up with the airline. ;) Don't expect me to not recline my seat simply because you feel that it is your space. It is not.

It's called public transportation for a reason. There are websites that show the configurations that various airlines use for their different planes. You can research before you buy. People who want more room are given the opportunity to pay for it. Seat choice, extra leg room rows, business class, and first class, all the way up to sleeper pods. The opportunities are there, but people don't want to pay for them. The cramped nature of planes is one of my main reasons for taking the train. But people vote with their wallets, and load factors on airliners are generally much higher than they used to be. The airlines try very hard not to fly half empty planes with a few less seats, when they can get people to buy them. I remember JetBlue taking seats out of their A-320s going from 156 to 150 to drop one flight attendant and add a touch more room. A Southwest 737 300 or 700 had 137 seats, now it's 143. Each of them has put a row (back) in.

&
The problem is that it is the design of the seat that defines whose space is where, and not what an individual feels like. If you have a problem with the seat reclining, don't fly on that airline or take it up with the airline. Don't expect me to not recline my seat simply because you feel that it is your space. It is not.
I've never fully understood the appeal of a couple inches of barely perceptible recline or the need to be completely uncompromising or even borderline militant about always using every last millimeter of it regardless of the circumstances.

There are websites that show the configurations that various airlines use for their different planes. You can research before you buy.
In theory it should be easy to plan your pitch, but in reality there are often numerous ever so slightly different floor plans that can have a huge impact on your specific seat's comfort level. Identifying your future flight's exact floor plan can be surprisingly difficult to confirm ahead of time. Not to mention that airlines often swap hardware with little or no notice and few if any airlines allow you to modify your routing as a result of a unilateral equipment change.

People who want more room are given the opportunity to pay for it. Seat choice, extra leg room rows, business class, and first class, all the way up to sleeper pods. The opportunities are there, but people don't want to pay for them.
I typically pay hundreds of dollars more per trip just so I can get some decent legroom. Occasionally I'm unable to book my desired aircraft or buy up to a better seat because of a sold out flight or last minute adjustment or other complication. Unfortunately in those situations I often find myself stuck trying to explain basic geometry to a Napoleonic passenger hellbent on taking their travel frustrations out on my poor knees.

The problem is that it is the design of the seat that defines whose space is where, and not what an individual feels like. If you have a problem with the seat reclining, don't fly on that airline or take it up with the airline. Don't expect me to not recline my seat simply because you feel that it is your space. It is not.
I've never fully understood the appeal of a couple inches of barely perceptible recline or the need to be completely uncompromising or even borderline militant about always using every last millimeter of it regardless of the circumstances.
Well I can't explain it for all, but in my case I have a birth defect in my backbone which makes it rather painful to sit straight. Any even little amount of recline relieves the pain somewhat. That is the reason that (a) I try to get seat in the Y+ section, (b) I spend considerable amount of money to fly Business Class or Business First either through original ticket purchase or upgrade on long international flights © try to use every bit of recline that I can get wherever. You have long leg problems. I have bad back problems. looks like we use about the same techniques to try to deal with them. Our interests appear to clash when I am in a seat just ahead of you in a non Y+ section of the cabin. Usually I would always work towards a reasonable compromise, but not because someone claims that they have a right to a space that the airline says is mine, but because I am a nice guy ;)

I also have rarely seen or heard of any issues (even online after-the-fact) of people complaining about pets on their flight. Granted, I'm not exactly seeking them out, but if it was an issue for most passengers people would be complaining and it probably would be something that wouldn't be allowed.

Furthermore, the tests that I've heard of on the Amtrak pet trials have resulted in very few to no complaints. Due diligence is required, but assuming that it will be the source of tons of complaints and almost assuredly cause a lot of issues is, frankly, an assumption too quickly gotten to.
In fact, I have no problem with a jillion pets on an Amtrak train!

IF, and that is a BIG IF, Amtrak does not force any passenger into the "pet car" who does not wish to be a travelmate with these pets. In fact, on one of my many trips from DAL to LVW, which is just a few hour trip, I might even volunteer to ride in the "pet car" as I enjoy small dogs immensely.....but it would not be right to require any pax to do this, if it is not of their own choosing, for whatever reason (allergy, sensitivity, desiring quiet, etc) or for no reason at all......

But, as has been noted often right here on AU, a passenger buys transport from point A to point B....there is no guarantee of comfort or amenities, or condition of surroundings, just transport from point A to point B. Forcing pax to travel in discomfort or inconveniencing them in order for some few folks to travel with their furry family is just a non starter, IMHO...........Hell, after all, there is no guarantee that a senior couple even get seats together, they may be required to ride on opposite ends of the car, yet if your travel companion is a little kitten or puppy, you are guaranteed them riding right with you......kittens, yes........spouse, no.......

Again, if Amtrak makes it policy to have seats in "non pet cars" available for pax that do not wish to travel in the "pet car"......there ought not be any problems and this is all moot. But that question has not been answered by Amtrak as of yet.

The problem is that it is the design of the seat that defines whose space is where, and not what an individual feels like. If you have a problem with the seat reclining, don't fly on that airline or take it up with the airline. ;) Don't expect me to not recline my seat simply because you feel that it is your space. It is not.
If the seats recline then I consider it my space. My position is if it were not they would not recline. I need some recline of my seat or my back gets an ache. Except on Southwest. For some reason their seats in the not reclined position are perfect for me.

As far as pets, they have already been riding smuggled on the train. There are black bag carry cases and you wouldn't even know there is an animal unless it made a noise. I think the only issue with the new policy is the crews have something else to monitor that is not railroading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How does VIA rail handle pets. I believe a few years I've seen them carry full sized dogs in the baggage car. Is that still policy?

Amtrak's response to the new bill (as quoted in an article on Fortune magazine's website):

"Update: An earlier version of this story said that Amtrak would allow pets on all trains; an Amtrak spokesperson says Amtrak’s interpretation of the bill is that Amtrak shall expand its pet program to many more trains, but not necessarily to all trains."

I must have missed (or forgot about) the announcement of the pilot program to allow pets on the Acela on weekends and holidays, but it is now a permanent program. Amtrak news release: AMTRAK PETS PROGRAM ON ACELA WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS NOW PERMANENT.

This has political implications as members of Congress and Capital Hill staffers can now take Fido back home on weekend trips to Philly or NYC. Got covered by The Hill, which covers Capitol Hill and politics: Amtrak to permanently allow small pets on some trains.

We were getting on the train yesterday and some woman was getting on with her small service dog. First she crossed over into the area of the tracks. She was close to one of the parked trains. You should have seen the room attendants. They about flipped out telling her to get out of there. She did. I am guessing she was letting her dog go potty. This was in Washington, D.C.

I see a problem for pet owners finding a place suitable for their pet to do their business at many stations. Plus, what if the pet isn't done when the Conductor is ready to depart. Then the safety issue mentioned above and that was a service animal. I see many issues for Amtrak, including what to do with the passengers who are allergic to pet dander on a sold out train, with no place to move either. Who has priority? the passenger with the pet or the passenger(s) who have the allergy to pets?

The politicians always have priority!

This unfunded mandate was ram rodded through by a few Congress Critters that either wanted to take Fido or Fluffy with them on their trips on the NEC ( does it apply on Acela FC??) or as a favor to some swell that couldn't live 15.minuted without their beloved pet!

Now about this, they should perhaps create a separate coach for pets in case there are passengers allergic to fur.

Here's how I'd do it: Baggage Car, Pet Coaches, Quiet Coach, Chair Coaches, Lounge Car, Diner, and Sleepers.

stick them in a baggage car in a box/cage and allow their owners [supervised] access periodically to check up on them feed and water them, UK - Europe car ferries have kennels on board the car decks for this exact purpose.

Now about this, they should perhaps create a separate coach for pets in case there are passengers allergic to fur.

Here's how I'd do it: Baggage Car, Pet Coaches, Quiet Coach, Chair Coaches, Lounge Car, Diner, and Sleepers.
I'm allergic to perfume. Can we create a separate car for those passengers too?

stick them in a baggage car in a box/cage and allow their owners [supervised] access periodically to check up on them feed and water them, UK - Europe car ferries have kennels on board the car decks for this exact purpose.
A kennel on a ferry is a far cry from the baggage car of a train.

Baggage cars have no AC and the ventilation is minimal, so it can get pretty hot in the summer. In the winter there is floor heat to 50 degrees on the new ones. I doubt the pets and pet owners would want to be in those care. Also it would not be safe for pet owners to be in those cars to feed or water pets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One clarification on Via, they allow pets in baggage cars and the owners tend to them. However they can only go to baggage and walk, feed, and water their animal at certain stops. They are not allowed to be in baggage car while underway.

I'm allergic to perfume. Can we create a separate car for those passengers too?
I'm allergic to polyester. By inhalation. Can we create a separate car where nobody is allowed to wear polyester too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back