Pets will be allowed on all trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lets just give every passenger their own private coach, we can stick tyres on the wheels so they dont need to go on rails and stick an engine in the front of each coach, we could call these automobiles or cars

The old British trains had direct boarding to your compartment from the outside. Implement that and you can have your choice of ____ free. Each compartment would have a separate bucket price so Amtrak could raise prices accordingly.

"Sorry, madam. The pet free, peanut free, child free, food free, everything-except-price free compartment is at high bucket. It is $12K because there is only one of them on any train."

I don't know about your cat, but I was on a bus once in Malaysia when someone cut open a durian fruit. It may taste great but it smells like funky feet combined with year old doritos. I thought the people nearest the durian fruit lover were going to riot!

I just don't see allowing pets on board a long haul train as being a good idea. Most of the time it will be fine but the exception to the rule will be pretty irritating. Hopefully the irritations will be few and far between.

"Then you've never smelled my cat. "

"I hate tobacco smoke, and it's very unhealthy for you, but I'd take it in a heartbeat over the smells my cat emits. I can't imagine being in a car full of passengers when that happens, they'd have to evacuate everyone..."

"I've been on a plane with some penguins once, and another time we flew with some koalas onboard. They were all very well behaved."

Last edited by a moderator:
And then there is the passenger who rides in Acela FC regularly with three "service animals" (dogs) "in training". One of whom sits at table with the pax and eats the meal that is served, after which the pax inquires if another meal is available for themselves. Just when you think you have seen/heard it all....

And then there is the passenger who rides in Acela FC regularly with three "service animals" (dogs) "in training". One of whom sits at table with the pax and eats the meal that is served, after which the pax inquires if another meal is available for themselves. Just when you think you have seen/heard it all....
Is the Conductor asleep in their office while this is going on?

Is it even Legal under the Law and Amtrak Policy?

One would be absolutely permitted, 3 sounds like a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised if a standing special arrangement was made since the training of service animals always involves making them comfortable in that type of situation. Noises, crowds, new smells, movement, are all things service dogs must be able to handle, in addition to their assigned tasks. A friend of mine used to socialize Golden puppies before they went off to "advanced" training. He got permission to bring one to the Nassau Coliseum for an Islander game. Seeing a dog in the penalty box was pretty funny.

Agree that the training of service animals is legit, but eating the meals on Amtrak is not part of service animals training!

Why couldn't they be trained in a Regional in Coach or Acela BC where they are allowed?

The situation provides a lot of gray areas, including the question of "are they really in training, or just their personal pets?"

Because of the short nature of the trip ( 3 hours), and no serious safety or security issues are involved, the Conductor usually declines to get involved for fear of a confrontation and subsequent passenger complaint, which historically results too often with Amtrak siding with the passenger.

The service animals could be trained anywhere, sure, but the price of First Class brings a lot more revenue to Amtrak and the passenger wishes to travel FC...

Why would a legit service animal not be permitted in Acela F/C ? Obviously, they are not entitled to a meal, but you can not deny them passage. They are not subject to the rules that apply to pets. Obviously, none of that would apply to 3 at a time, and the issue of real vs fake service animals is an ongoing issue in general.

Someone at Amtrak should get an ADA "regulator" to ride the train when this person rides so that s/he can witness it and maybe find out if the trainer is legit. Because if this person is not legit, s/he's doing harm to all the legit service dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
[emoji240][emoji240][emoji240] Is the Conductor asleep in their office while this is going on?
Is it even Legal under the Law and Amtrak Policy?
There seems to be some kind of understanding that the conductor stays away and leaves them alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back