Phase IIIb

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
technically yes, its the only one in Amtrak's inventory. 10001 is a former coach and was converted after a wreck damaged it. it was converted to a company service car.

I seem to recall seeing still pictures of 10001 and 10021 in Phase III on the Facebook Northeast Corridor fan page in mid/late September, but I can't seem to find them now. I know that I was at least about a week or two late finding out about the new paint job after it was first spotted.

Discussed here on 9/20:

Can someone just bring me up to speed just incase you guys had already talked about this. I was in Philly yesterday and was railfanning the parking garage over Race Street Yard and noticed that the 10021 "Pacific Cape" is now painted in Phase III. It used to be Phase IVb, and from what I've been hearing, the Cape came in to the yard yesterday for its first time back from Beach Grove. The 10001 "Beach Grove" is also now in Phase III. Does anyone know what Amtrak's plans are with the Phase III paint scheme and what cars will get it? Besides the Viewliners and some of the Amfleet II's. Thanks guys :)

According to some reports the first Viewliner I in Phase IIIb livery has been spotted in Chicago. It is 62043, also sporting the name plate "New River". So the conversion of Viewliner Is to Phase IIIb livery has begun.

According to some reports the first Viewliner I in Phase IIIb livery has been spotted in Chicago. It is 62043, also sporting the name plate "New River". So the conversion of Viewliner Is to Phase IIIb livery has begun.
Nice! Only question is, why would they make it with the wave logo beside the lettering rather than the logo below the lettering like you see on the Phase V locos?

AND why is it now being named Amtrak America instead of just Amtrak?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! Only question is, why would they make it with the wave logo beside the lettering rather than the logo below the lettering like you see on the Phase V locos?

I think there was a thread here some time ago where it was said that "Amtrak America" is the new brand of Amtrak's LD services, I guess setting them apart from the NEC and other corridor services-

Interesting. I assume this was just an outside paint job and the interior mods to match the VIIs haven't been done yet?

Haha, that would be an amazing revenue train - a newly-painted V1, dome car, heritage diner, and I think a surfliner coach and a superliner down on the end.

Yes, I'm on my phone and can't dig it up, but it was about a year or so ago.
OK, you've got to go all the way back to October 2013 for this one - just a bit more than a year. :D

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/57231-amtrak-america-new-ld-train-branding/

And by the time almost the whole fleet is in Phase IIIb, it'll be time to pointlessly change color schemes again just to keep Amtrak from ever having a uniform fleet.

The fleet may have been uniform, but it was also extremely bland. If I were going to rebrand as Amtrak America, I would want to emphasize the red, white, and blue. Granted, the previous scheme used the same basic colors, but it also had a tendency to get lost in the background.

I have a theory but I'll need a few days to test it. Keep your eyes towards Beech Grove and/or Chicago next week because we may have the wrong idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back