Philippe's to Union Station & Back in 1 hour?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have an hour layover at Union Station in Los Angeles on both legs of our trip. Is this enough time to make it to Philippe's and back without missing the train? It is hard to tell on mapquest. My other question, is this a walk that a woman should make alone at night?

It's probably under a 15 minute walk each way, at a "normal" rate. If you're considering an hour layover "each way" and "at night", are you referring to arriving on the Coast Starlight? :huh: Just FYI - I was on the CS a few weeks ago, and it arrived into LAX about 1 hour late! So do not necessarily count on an hour layover!

We are taking the Coast Starlight from Oregon and then going to Anaheim. In the evening we are supposed to have a layover at Union station for 1 hour (I don't know that we really need Phillipe's that night however on the return trip I would love to run over and grab a couple of sandwhiches for the trip). I was just wondering if it was really doable if we do have the full layovers and if it was a safe enough neighborhood for me to go on my own or should I send my navigationally challenged husband :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I myself felt safe. (But you may or may not feel the same way.)

If you do decide to go:

1. From the front of Union Station, go out to the main street
  2. Turn right, and walk 1 block to the corner
  3. Turn left and walk 1 block to the next corner
  4. Turn right and walk 1 block
  5. Phillipe's is on the corner on the left side

I wouldn't do it after dark unless there is a crowd around Union Station. We were harrassed by some thugs just trying to get to the Metro Plaza Hotel. Never again. Of course morning daylight, different story. Philippe's French Dip-Excellente'. Spot

I was just there a week ago and it's about a 10 min walk I think. I was there midday and the place looked packed. I don't know how fast it clears out but I decided to eat at Olvera street instead. But I hope to go by there again next time I am downtown.

To those who have been there--do you sit down to be served or wait in a line? I thought I saw a large wide line of folks but maybe I was mistaken.

Dan

We are taking the Coast Starlight from Oregon and then going to Anaheim. In the evening we are supposed to have a layover at Union station for 1 hour (I don't know that we really need Phillipe's that night however on the return trip I would love to run over and grab a couple of sandwhiches for the trip). I was just wondering if it was really doable if we do have the full layovers and if it was a safe enough neighborhood for me to go on my own or should I send my navigationally challenged husband :)

If you bring 763 in from ANA-LAX, you have a scheduled layover in the morning of well over an hour...it's well worth taking the short walk for yummies for your trip back. I agree, however, with the previous posters who have mentioned you may not have a layover at all on your arrival into LA on the CS - that's a train that's routinely late.

(If you have a chance, find me when you get off 763 - I'm usually part of the crew that takes over that train in LA :) )

Travel light!

~BJG

You order at the counter and then sit anywhere after you get your food. But they do pick up the tables.
Thanks. It looked like that a bit but it was so crowded there was no way I'd have been out of there in the time I had. Thanks for the information. I will try to plan better if I go through there again.

Has anyone eaten at the Original Pantry?

http://www.pantrycafe.com/

I worked near it for 3 yrs and never ate there. There was always a line.

Dan

If you do decide to go:

Aloha

There is something wrong with these Directions, but I not sure what it is. It is very close And With reasonable caution Safe. For an hour connection considering the line when the Gathering went there for lunch I think it would be tight.

If you do decide to go:

Aloha

There is something wrong with these Directions, but I not sure what it is. It is very close And With reasonable caution Safe. For an hour connection considering the line when the Gathering went there for lunch I think it would be tight.

Ie appears you just turn right (north) on Alameda and go two short blocks. Main Street does join Alameda right before (I think) Phillippes. I believe I just walked on the W side of Alameda to Phillipes without any turns other than to get on to Alameda.

Dan

The sandwiches at Philippe (note: the name of the restaurant is either "Philippe" or more completely "Philippe the Original", and there's never an "s" at the end of that, either with or without an apostrophe) don't really lend themselves to carry-out. They are a unique French dip, where they run the inside of the top half of the roll through the au jus. They'll get very soggy if not eaten within about 15 minutes. However, the chili is pretty good, and easily packed to go. I also love their coleslaw (and I'm a coleslaw expert!)

If you do decide to go:

Aloha

Ie appears you just turn right (north) on Alameda and go two short blocks. Main Street does join Alameda right before (I think) Phillippes. I believe I just walked on the W side of Alameda to Phillipes without any turns other than to get on to Alameda.

Dan
You are both right, and I'm also right. Philippe is on N Main, just past the Metro Plaza Hotel. The directions I gave is past the Metro Plaza. The entrance is on the other end of the block from Alameda. So the choice is as I directed (1+1+1 block) or as you both stated go 2 blocks on Alameda (including a long block) and then go back 1 short block on N Main. Both ways are about the same distance.

You are both right, and I'm also right. Philippe is on N Main, just past the Metro Plaza Hotel....then go back 1 short block on N Main.
Actually, you are wrong. Philippe is NOT on North Main St, the address is 1001 N. Alameda Street. There is absolutely no need to "go back a block on Main".

The major street in front of Los Angeles Union Station is Alameda. Turn right and walk north. The first Cross Street is Cesar Chavez. It is convenient here to cross Alameda (which puts you right by the north end of Olvera St, a pedestrian walkway) and Chavez (which puts you onto a small triangular block containing a gas station). Continuing north on Alameda, you cross Main Street (which comes in at an angle). Continuing north another short block and you come to Ord St. (only on this side, as that street does not cross through Alameda). Just across Ord Street, there you see it: Philippe the Original, at the north-west corner of Ord and Alameda.

You just knew someone was going to do this, so it might as well be me:

LAUStoPhillipe.jpg

LAUS and Phillipe are the yellow push-pins (they're labeled but hard to read); Alameda is the street connecting them (north is to the left); Olvera Street is visible at the bottom center.

Philippe the Original is one of my favorite LA restaurants, and I might stay an hour just to look at all of the train models.

The CS (Train 11) is scheduled to arrive 9pm, the connecting train leaves 10pm and is the LAST service (Amtrak or Metrolink) to Anaheim. We call the CS the "Coast StarLATE" because it is chronically late--sometimes by hours, so I'm wondering more whether one would make the connection at all, let alone getting to Philippe's. If you don't make the connection, I'm assuming they put you immediately on a bus and the Philippe's run is off.

If you really do get in at 9pm, note which platform Amtrak 796 (Pacific Surfliner to San Diego) is departing from.

GO STRAIGHT TO THE TAXI LINEUP and if there is no line (cabs are rare in LA and sometimes there's an hour wait at LAX) because people are still waiting for baggage, take a cab to Philippe's. It's down the street, but you will need the time. At 10pm Philippe's should be slow (if a basketball or baseball game hasn't just gotten out--check schedules).

It's laid out like an old-school deli like Katz' in New York; the procedure is

1) Stand in a server line; at that hour there may be only one.

2) Look at the menu if there's time; if not, order a French Dipped Beef Sandwich with Swiss, a slice of Banana or Chocolate Cream Pie (if out, substitute another pie), and two coffees with milk in them, TO GO. Coffee is $0.09, I kid you not. If you like the exotic you could also order an extra sandwich--a Dipped Lamb--for breakfast.

They also serve wine but you can't leave with it; leave it to a deli in LA to offer red wine with that sandwich.

3) Pay the cashier (a different person behind the counter, NOT the door cashier); it's CASH only. Leave a tip on the tray as your food is being prepared.

4) Facing the counter, turn right until you see the counter with the water glasses (self service); turn left and head toward the far room. Before you pass a sort of doorway, note the Circus posters. Past the doorway, turn right and have a seat in MODEL TRAIN HEAVEN. If you love model trains, you're going to be rolling around on the floor; note it is sawdust-covered by tradition.

5) Eat something if there's time, take a picture. Since you packed to-go there's always time to eat on the train.

6) Walk swiftly back to LA Union station for your train. As with any LA street, if you have a hat or scarf or t-shirt that's red or blue, take it off or cover it up. It's not a great neighborhood and you'll run into panhandlers, but in LA there are worse.

There are few, sometimes poorly regulated cabs in Orange County, but what there are will almost always be there for that last train in Anaheim. You will observe that Anaheim Amtrak is in the Angels Stadium parking lot which literally has hundreds of free parking spaces; it's a great park-and-ride for long trips.

If you somehow miss the connecting train, call Supershuttle or Prime Time Shuttle, they can take you to your Anaheim hotel.

So we have an hour layover at Union Station in Los Angeles on both legs of our trip. Is this enough time to make it to Philippe's and back without missing the train? It is hard to tell on mapquest. My other question, is this a walk that a woman should make alone at night?
Don't chance it on an hour layover. As for a walk a woman should make alone at night, I can't say. As a guy I just blast right through it both ways. Never any problems. Sometimes bums hanging around, but I ignore them.

If you're heading to a hotel in Anaheim from the train station, you might look into Anaheim Resort Transit.

$4 for a day pass. The schedule is hard to figure out from the website, but they hit most of them.

The main point is to service D-land and the Convention Center.

Picks up right at the train.

Anaheim Resort Transit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back