Photo Harassment Pic

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
I probably should have uploaded Sunday's pics much sooner, but was busy preparing the Trip Report on the weekend's rail action, then just plain got lazy.

Here is a link to the untouched (except for being uploaded from camera to computer, then to Picasa), unedited photo that Amtrak Special Agent Pat cited my taking of as a security issue in an attempt to justify his ambush harassment of me as I tried to board Amtrak Pacific Surfliner 775 at San Diego on 11-9-08.

He said that in the Post-911 Era, as he put it, there are concerns about people who take pictures of "crowds." In viewing the photo you'll be able to see how concerned everybody is, and determine for yourself the definition of "crowd."

Harassment Excuse Photo

Personally I'm far more concerned, and dismayed, at the very existence of Amtrak Special Agent Pat and his ignorant ilk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I presume that you've already (or soon plan to) speak with Agent Pat's supervisor to make your complaint official?

Edit: oops - this was the first thread I clicked on this morning - didn't see that there was a whole nother thread on the topic.

It would be funnier to organize 20 photographers to meet you at the station, and if Pat appears, you all surround him and begin wildly flashing photos of him en masse, while screeching "It's Special Agent Pat!" like he's a celebrity.

I...Here is a link to the untouched (except for being uploaded from camera to computer, then to Picasa), unedited photo that Amtrak Special Agent Pat cited my taking of as a security issue in an attempt to justify his ambush harassment of me as I tried to board Amtrak Pacific Surfliner 775 at San Diego on 11-9-08.
He said that in the Post-911 Era, as he put it, there are concerns about people who take pictures of "crowds." In viewing the photo you'll be able to see how concerned everybody is, and determine for yourself the definition of "crowd."
On what basis do you make the allegation that the person who approached you is an Amtrak employee? In every posting you call him "Amtrak Special Agent" as if you know for a fact that he was an Amtrak employee. But all he showed you a passport and some "funny looking piece of paper" as an ID? Is that proof of anything? All Amtrak security people carry badges. If that person did not show you a badge, he is not an Amtrak law enforcement person, special or otherwise.

Amtrak police have their moments, but they do so with badges and official ID's, not with passports and "funny looking pieces of paper".

Sheesh, the thing that spooks me is about two years ago I was in San Diego and took several pictures of the Surfliner in the station. Didn't take any pictures of people unless they were near the train. But, it would have been enough to have garnered this dude's attention.

Anyway, good luck on getting to the bottom of this! Keep us posted!

Dan

I probably should have uploaded Sunday's pics much sooner, but was busy preparing the Trip Report Personally I'm far more concerned, and dismayed, at the very existence of Amtrak Special Agent Pat and his ignorant ilk.
Let's see. You knew you weren't allowed to take pictures.

However, you chose to take pictures anyway.

Who's the true "ignorant ilk" here?

Whether you like the rule or not, you knew the story and how it is being enforced by some security personnel. And feel justified to act defiant only by the fact you don't think that such enforcement is right, and you feel that the Amtrak Special Agent is wrong to attempt to enforce such a rule. Yea, right. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that YOU provoked the entire scene. And you did it with full intent and foreknowledge. :angry:

Last edited:
Harassment Excuse Photo

Personally I'm far more concerned, and dismayed, at the very existence of Amtrak Special Agent Pat and his ignorant ilk.
Ah! You took pictures of those secret rocket silos hidden in those palm trees protecting SPAWAR down the railroad again? ;) Shame on you. :)

I had the funny experience in New Haven station when an officious looking rent a cop accosted me while I was taking pictures of the beautifully restored ceiling of the headhouse. I stopped taking pictures and walked over to a real cop and asked him if I could take pictures, and he said yes, so I proceeded to take pictures standing next to the cops. The rent a cops are a special breed all by themselves who just go about creating rules on the fly as it suits them.

The most famous one was of course in Washington Union Station who accosted Cliff Black, of all people!

This is Amtrak Special Agent Apple Stotch. I have taken ALC_Rail_Writer into custody after viewing that offending photo.

If any of you have a problem with the actions of Amtrak Special Agent Pat, we respectfully tell you to pick up another hobby.

Have a safe and secure trip.

Amtrak Special Agent Apple Stoch.

False. Both the "not allowed" and his alleged knowledge of the non-rule.

Just because a "police officer" says something doesn't make it fact.
True - here in NYC, the transit cops used to constantly tell people they couldn't take pictures... until people complained and the MTA put out a memo to cops saying there is no such rule or law.

A lot of paranoid people, be they cops or anybody else, make assumptions these days on what you can and cannot do based on an event that happened 7 years ago where picture-taking had absolutely nothing to do with anything. But there are no laws against taking pictures of crowds, trains or anything else, and no Amtrak rules that I know of either.

I presume that you've already (or soon plan to) speak with Agent Pat's supervisor to make your complaint official?
Edit: oops - this was the first thread I clicked on this morning - didn't see that there was a whole nother thread on the topic.
I'm afraid Agent Pat's supervisor is in the lock down ward of the state mental institution :p :p :p

I guess the photographer who took the photo of a Surfliner at SAN Santa Fe Depot that is on the OFFICIAL 2009 Amtrak Calendar is also an "ignorant ilk"? :huh: Maybe we should report him to Special Agent Pat? :rolleyes:

2009 Amtrak Calendar

I carry THIS with me on railfanning trips.
as do I, but the only time I have been accosted seriously they refused to even look at it. I was in Boston and sitting in my car at a grade crossing (parked on the street legally) taking photoos of the 60 Boston Mattapan-Ashmont PCC cars. when I was detained for over 1/2 hour. since I was in my car they had the right to ask for my license and registration I guess the engine was off. and held my license for the entire time while the other cop stood so that I couldn't take the picture I came to get, a railfan special full of photographers taking photos of the car.

I wrote a letter to the Head of MBTA and got the standard, "in these times of heightened security yada yada yada....answer.

they didn't try to take my photos and I am from out of state so descretion being the better part of valor etc..... locally they don't even bother me they know i'll make waves....

Bob

Whether you like the rule or not, you knew the story and how it is being enforced by some security personnel. And feel justified to act defiant only by the fact you don't think that such enforcement is right, and you feel that the Amtrak Special Agent is wrong to attempt to enforce such a rule. Yea, right. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that YOU provoked the entire scene. And you did it with full intent and foreknowledge. :angry:
Do you honestly have any idea what you're talking about? He provoked NOTHING. Since when has it EVER been illegal to take a picture of an Amtrak train?

I probably should have uploaded Sunday's pics much sooner, but was busy preparing the Trip Report Personally I'm far more concerned, and dismayed, at the very existence of Amtrak Special Agent Pat and his ignorant ilk.

RAILHATER :angry: :angry:

I probably should have uploaded Sunday's pics much sooner, but was busy preparing the Trip Report on the weekend's rail action, then just plain got lazy.
Here is a link to the untouched (except for being uploaded from camera to computer, then to Picasa), unedited photo that Amtrak Special Agent Pat cited my taking of as a security issue in an attempt to justify his ambush harassment of me as I tried to board Amtrak Pacific Surfliner 775 at San Diego on 11-9-08.

Harassment Excuse Photo

This reminds me of my photo lesson on the #97 a few weeks ago when some #?%&* went off on me for taking a pic of his girlfriend :huh: , actually "OLD LADY" would be more like it!!!! I was taking pix of the car I'd never experienced :eek: ????

Can't enjoy memories of that train trip because of that JERK! Does get your blood boiling but, hopefully Patrick, time will heal! I'm stiil planning future trips!!!!!! :)

RF

You didn't read that in the "Organization" handbook? :huh: Article 369.2.57.A.29.4.3(B-SAN) located on page 3,264 in the 2008 edition clearly states

Any member of the Organization must photograph "crowds" of 1 or more - especially at SAN - and we will forgive you if any trains just happen to get into the photograph!
:rolleyes:

This reminds me of my photo lesson on the #97 a few weeks ago when some #?%&* went off on me for taking a pic of his girlfriend :huh: , actually "OLD LADY" would be more like it!!!! I was taking pix of the car I'd never experienced :eek: ????

Can't enjoy memories of that train trip because of that JERK! Does get your blood boiling but, hopefully Patrick, time will heal! I'm stiil planning future trips!!!!!! :)

RF
Haha that's hilarious. What train was it? I actually spent a good portion of time last night checking out your awesome rail pics. Very nice and impressive - I'm jealous of all the routes you've been on. Where are you based out of? Seems you've traveled most of the country by train!

RF
Haha that's hilarious. What train was it? I actually spent a good portion of time last night checking out your awesome rail pics. Very nice and impressive - I'm jealous of all the routes you've been on. Where are you based out of? Seems you've traveled most of the country by train!
Thanx,

I now realize what, the more seasoned, travelors mean by non expectations! Some things are quite surprizing, depressing, annoying & OFFENSIVE!!! But, my Rail Experience Far Surpasses Any Expectations I Had. This form of travel is Past History & History In The Making!!!! :p

yeah all those people are panicking cause you took there picture. WOW wonder what they look like when there not worried LOL. wonder what he would do if a young child snapped a picture. i can see that going over real well with the parents.

yeah all those people are panicking cause you took there picture. WOW wonder what they look like when there not worried LOL. wonder what he would do if a young child snapped a picture. i can see that going over real well with the parents.
I don't know luckily we didn't find out as my 6 yr. old Granddaughter took some at the Gathering. And What would mr. Security have thought of my cameras or all the other that day? :lol:

Aloha

it sucks its getting harder and harder for us to railfan cause of this post 9/11 BS. maybe stick to crossings. they can't put a guard at every crossing its impossible its like trying to patrol the us/Mexican boarder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back